Chief of State Candidate HEM on Independence, Popularity, and Looking Ahead

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
The following article is part of a series on the Chief of State election in collaboration with the Organization of Independent Media.

To kick off this paper's coverage of the ongoing Chief of State election, I spoke with HEM, current Deputy CoS and Grand Admiral, one of the candidates running. There will be future coverage in the form of another interview, and some polling, so watch this space for future developments. And now, here is the interview!

You have served in nearly every high-level role in the region, including Founder, Supreme Chancellor, and President. What draws you to the role of Chief of State now?
I mean, putting aside my long-ish career in the region, it seems like the next logical step for my career over the past year. I served two terms as Minister of Foreign Affairs, nearly two terms as Grand Admiral, so I feel equipped to take the wheel and push some of the positive changes I've promoted at a higher level.

Is Independence the strongest its ever been in NationStates?
No. But to be fair, it hasn't truly been at its strongest point since defender interests realized the danger of an ideology agnostic affiliation to their bottom line and worked to polarize Independence.

We are still surrounded by many Independent-minded friends and allies, and together we have to figure out how to promote the next generation of Independence to other regions. What are the values that unite us with our friends? Oftentimes it's rich cultures, democracy, active off-site platforms, etc. How do we wrap all of that into our ideological story and then tell it? That's the big question, and it's one I don't think we can realistically answer in only one term, but we definitely need to start.

You are someone that often champions reform, and, if elected, you will be one of the first few to hold the office of Chief of State. Will you aim to break new ground with this position, and perhaps change its perception in the region's mind?
I think the office needs to have a few more runs before we consider new reforms or changes. As for a non-structural change, though, I definitely want to bring more people into the foreign affairs dialogue, and would love the Chief of State to facilitate more conservations with the region about things going on in the world and hear what people's thoughts are on them.

Currently, the government is incredibly popular at the top level, in both domestic and foreign offices, and candidates almost always run on a theme of change to some degree. Is this high approval something that goes through your mind as a candidate when drafting a platform, and did you have to make any adjustments to your initial plans because of the current administrations popularity?
Well, I've been apart of that popularity which is something I am super thankful for! :)

I've never been afraid to make waves and go against the grain when I think an idea needs to be said even if it'll be unpopular. But I never want to become jaded and contrarian just for the lulz. My platform is a basic reflection of what I see our Councils as needing, and I hope to execute that agenda at a high level to keep the popularity flowing ;)

Serving as Grand Admiral, you often find yourself on the front line of foreign affairs in action, as we saw in the recent TEP coup. Will it be hard to maintain that visible presence in foreign affairs from the Goldenblock?
I think it will be easier because as you know, there's a lot of administrative tasks with the navy that takes up a ton of time. In the past, I've given a lot of public addresses and held lots of Q&As as President, and that's definitely something I'd want to continue as Chief of State. People in our region need to know what's going in, frankly because they deserve the right to chime in.

Lastly, you founded this region back in 2007, and I know you've been asked this many times before, and you will probably be asked this many times in the future, but I still find myself wondering, what keeps you active in Europeia after all these years?
So long as this place keeps teaching me new things and providing me with fun experiences, you'll never get rid of me.

Really, I don't know what I'd do with my time...

Thanks for doing this interview, Calvin! I had a great time answering your questions!

This HEM sounds like a nice guy. Someone should run with him!

Thanks for doing this, Calvin!

:clap: Yay! Great interview!

Back