Changes to forum header

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
I made a few changes to the header, in all skins.

Most of them are small technical stuff, like editing borders or shortening the HTML code. However, one somewhat significant change is that all three branches of government have now been condensed under a single "Government" link with a single 3-column drop-down menu. This change is in response to comments in the forum feedback survey, that the header was becoming too busy with links.

As a consequence of the change, it is no longer clear where "Government" should link to (in the past, "Executive" linked to Goldenbock, "Judiciary" to the Court, and "Legislative" to the Senate). For now, I have made it link to Goldenblock, where arguably the most important government announcements are made. If you have suggestions about changing the link, let me know.

Also, let me know in case the code changes have broken anything else I didn't notice, or if there are any other comments about the changes in general.

Could we make it so that Government doesnt like anywhere but on the drop down the President title links to the Goldenblock, the Speaker title to the Senate and the CJ title to the Court?

I'll just purge the link, like you suggested.

Not sure about adding links in the drop-down menu, given that those would be somewhat difficult to click due to the menu disappearing. And, unlike the links in the "Region" menu, which provide quick shortcuts to the game page, these links would not really provide much functionality.

One thing that would be nice and that others have suggested is to have people's names link to their forum accounts. The problem is that this is not something that can be done automatically, meaning that admins would need to update the links manually every time they changed a name. This is quite tedious, and would make maintaining the header a lot more complicated than it already is. So, I'm inclined to avoid that as well.

I don't think links in the drop-down menu would be useful --- either to forum accounts or areas in the forum. The first being more work than is worthwhile and the second being unexpected behaviour.

I removed the link for "Government" and didn't add anything in the drop-down menu.

Any other suggestions about the header are welcome.

I apologize for the necropost, but I don't think a new thread is necessary.

Within the three sections of the drop-down, we could add a header to each branch ("Executive," "Legislative," "Judicial") and have each of those link to the related forum (34 Goldenblock, Senatia, High Court). Something like this: http://prntscr.com/9h9d2s

r3naissanc3r said:
I'll just purge the link, like you suggested.

Not sure about adding links in the drop-down menu, given that those would be somewhat difficult to click due to the menu disappearing. And, unlike the links in the "Region" menu, which provide quick shortcuts to the game page, these links would not really provide much functionality.

One thing that would be nice and that others have suggested is to have people's names link to their forum accounts. The problem is that this is not something that can be done automatically, meaning that admins would need to update the links manually every time they changed a name. This is quite tedious, and would make maintaining the header a lot more complicated than it already is. So, I'm inclined to avoid that as well.
The only way I can think of that might not be too onerous would be if you can create BBcode to allow for linking to a members's profile with something like [name]Anumia[/name], akin to our nation and region BBcode, but I am guessing given that member URLs are based on a number ID rather than the name (since the name can change while still linking to the same account, unlike nations and regions), that cannot be done.

Rand said:

Within the three sections of the drop-down, we could add a header to each branch ("Executive," "Legislative," "Judicial") and have each of those link to the related forum (34 Goldenblock, Senatia, High Court). Something like this: http://prntscr.com/9h9d2s
We used to have separate drop downs for each branch, but then with the addition of Skype, News, and Radio (among other things) to the header, I believe it was condensed down to save on space.

I have no clue re: r3n coding magic, so maybe it's possible to bring back? :unsure:

Mousebumples said:
Rand said:

We used to have separate drop downs for each branch, but then with the addition of Skype, News, and Radio (among other things) to the header, I believe it was condensed down to save on space.

I have no clue re: r3n coding magic, so maybe it's possible to bring back? :unsure:
Ah, yes... I do believe that's what the OP was about. It was eliminated because of complaints that the top bar was too cluttered.

My suggestion is to add links to the main forum for each branch in the government drop-down.

Good idea Rand, and thanks r3n!

Back