By-Election Senate Candidate interviews

By-Election Senate Candidate interviews
Olde Delaware, Prov, Sopo, Industhan, Ph. Dre

Ellenburg

The Senate by-election to fill former Senator Ervald’s seat is upon us with the vote to start today. The EBC sent each candidate four questions to return to us. Please check out the interviews below!

The first up is Olde Delaware, a Senate sub for Cordova I who has caused some excitement in the Senate during the Confirmation hearings for President UPC’s Cabinet selections. Let’s see what he has to say!

Olde Delaware's responses

Ellenburg: What is your top legislative priority if elected to the Senate?

OD: I had hoped to work with my colleagues on getting meaningful reform passed for the PA. Cordova and I had worked and talked over some ideas for the PA before settling on the 'Strengthening the Chair' amendment which failed the Senate earlier this term. Now, if I am elected I'd like to help work on reforming the Senate Sub process.

Ellenburg: How have your past experiences prepared you to handle the responsibilities of a Senator?

OD: I've been incredibly grateful to have served in the Senate previously including a term as Speaker with my great friend Mal as my deputy. I never really tried to write legislation on my own until recently because I just didn't have any real plans or ideas of my own but now I have some and I want to help where I can.

Ellenburg: Why did you decide to run for the Senate at this time?

OD: I decided to run for Senate because friends pushed me to do so and because I thought I could do some good. I lost a heck of a race to my good friend Gem and I thought while the momentum was still on the upswing I and my name was out there for being for some reform and I could do some good, why the heck not?

Ellenburg: Hot button issue of this election seems to be Senate Sub’s. What is your stance on it in its current form and what do you feel needs to be changed?

OD: I don't really have an issue with how its run perse. I believe if the Senator briefs their sub and instructs them to vote their conscience, they should be allowed to act. But I can agree that one possible way of fixing any perceived issue is to restrict who can be a senate sub to a former Senator.

Next up is Prov who was also recently a Senate Sub and former candidate for Senate in the last By-Election. Prov has been known for being quite outspoken similar to OD. Let’s see what they had to say.

Prov's responses

Prov: My top legislative priority is to get all current legislation passed while writing my first-ever bill into the Senate.

Ellenburg: How have your past experiences prepared you to handle the responsibilities of a Senator?

Prov: My past experiences have definitely taught me that I need to speak out more and take stances that seem unpopular but to also reach for the stars as anything is possible.

Prov: I ran for the senate this time as i firmly believed that I deserved a fair chance at running in this by-election despite that I would most likely lose due to PhDre losing which their objective is to just make sure OD and I lose.

Ellenburg: Hot button issue of this election seems to be Senate Sub’s. What is your stance on it in its current form and what do you feel needs to be changed?

Prov: I think the current Senate subs are a good idea and in my personal opinion. I do think that PhDre who started this whole removing the Senate Sub is being just petty and it show's alot.

Prov: I think everyone should give me a chance to be in the Senate as I provide an alternative and radical way of thinking. I am also not scared to stand up to anyone on my Stances.

Looks like this Senate race is getting down and dirty! We are not even halfway through the candidate interviews!

Next up is Sopo who joined the race just yesterday; this is not their first Rodeo so let's see what is on our favorite Sloth’s mind.

Sopo's responses

Sopo: The Senate is currently discussing a few interesting proposals. I'm excited to contribute to the approval voting and junior senator discussions especially, as I think I bring some unique ideas to the table there (moreso on the latter, I guess). These are both opportunities to do something new and interesting in our political system, so I want to be sure we have thoroughly discuss them to make them as fruitful as possible for the community.

Sopo: I love our politics, and the Senate is discussing these interesting issues that impact our regional political gameplay. I've been in Europeia for nearly 15 (!) years now, and I love that we continuously come up with new ways to make our region more enjoyable for everyone here. I've learned from a lot of experience as president, as a former speaker, but mainly just as a citizen who has seen the successes and pitfalls of many ideas over the years.

Sopo: I'm running because I bring something relevant to the table, and I'm actually excited about the issues facing the Senate. It's really as simple as that. I've been out of the game for awhile and this opportunity really drew me in.

Sopo: Senate substitutes need to be reformed. It's a valuable system that has given a lot of citizens the opportunity to engage in the Senate before being elected, but we need to discuss what we actually need from the system and what is fair to the voters who have no say in the substitutes. I'd prefer not to abolish it completely, but there's an interesting discussion to be had here, and we've already heard some interesting possible solutions.

Sopo seems determined and has a plan! Next is another recent Senate Sub who is making their second attempt at a Senate seat in the region Industhan. Let's see what they had to say.

Industhan's responses

Industhan: My priority, if elected, would be to either make or amend laws giving more seats to the Senate by expanding the Senate or with the current position, creating a 'Junior Senate ' as discussed by the current Senate. For some, the word "Junior" might be a turn off especially when regarding Europeia's apex legislative body. Still, for a newcomer when you decide to take the leap of faith and run for the senate for the first time, it is very much anxiety driven process, from the minute you start making your platform many things demotivate you from standing but, If a newcomer who has been in Euro for some months and has shown a keen interest for legislation, then knowing that there is a body made for newcomers and for those whom might not have shown an interest in the senate, makes it morw appealing , a new battleground to earn the people's trust and timo move up fron there by first conquering the "Junior Senate" then move on to the big boys round and win a seat in the senate, just like when a citizen in any ministry first gains the trust of their minister in charge, if they do a good job they get promoted to a DM position. When powers at be see that you excel in your ministry you then become a minister yourself.

Industhan: My time as a Senate Sub (Current) and Senate aide in both the current and previous senates has given me time to deconstruct the main purpose of the bills passed or failed and the round of conversations whether showing disdain or doubt changes the very nature of said bills, thus making this a "Making and Breaking Point" for the senators who are going to vote. As Senate Aide to both Cordova I and Istillian in the previous senate, I always had to deconstruct the laws present to their basics, explaining their functions and any potential interference with either ongoing bills or passed ones. With this wealth of knowledge about how the bills are made, the initial idea to present the bill, and the discussion has helped me have a clearer understanding of how the system works and how to use the system efficiently while being convincing.

Industhan: My decision to run for the senate was triggered when in Discord, Ervald complimented me on my questions and the stance I took when MoWAA Skygreen was being nominated, then after going through the rest of the nominations I got to know what the past performances of the various ministries, how the minister in charge improved it or not in some cases. Also, I previously ran for the general election and observing my mistakes being shown was quite an experience, it's only fitting that you correct your mistakes and run again.

Industhan: The Current Situation of Senate Subs is quite interesting, while some people might have some gripes about it, I think if a senator has entrusted you with their seat to do their bidding, it gives a special yet temporary view of how impactful your questions posed, how the answers are given, mistake pointed out can be. And being here for 4 months, I don't if there are any negatives to this, there might be and there might not have been any negatives.

Due to the short timeframe of the interview questions being sent Candidate PhDre was not able to answer them by the deadline if they are able to get them to me sometime today will edit this and include it here as well.

The Senate by-election voting has or should be starting soon! After hearing all the candidates' thoughts we now need to wait to see who the region chooses to fill out the remainder of the term. This has been a bit more of an exciting by-election than we have seen in recent memory.

Back