[Breaking News] The Black Hawks Spies on 10000 Islands, Raids Nasunia with The East Pacific

The Black Hawks Spies on 10000 Islands, Raids Nasunia with The East Pacific
Written by Kazaman

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated "The East Pacific intends to issue a public statement soon in their Gameplay forum embassy." The government of The East Pacific has contacted the EBC to say that they no longer intend to issue a state at this time.

During the major update of 9PM, July 24th Pacific time, The Black Hawks led a coalition to raid Nasunia. This comes after months of silence from the raider region, which uses the motto "the most feared military organisation in NationStates." Joining The Black Hawks were Joint Task Force, Lily, The North Pacific, Lone Wolves United, Karma, and The East Pacific.

Hollow Norman 4, a member of the Ten Thousand Islands Treaty Organisation for the past two months, joined defender forces in Artificial Solar System following an alert by Libcord officers who noticed the impending invasion. As a member of the defending force, Hollow Norman 4 was crossendorsed by many of the defenders. After the units moved, it was revealed that Hollow Norman 4 was a puppet owned by Miravana, the point for the raid and a member of The Black Hawks. The raiders endorsed the spy and, due to the combination of defender and raider endorsements, were able to take control of Nasunia.

When reached for comment by the EBC, Lady Dominator said that this infiltration was a proof of concept to gain an edge in endorsements, with no other goal or purpose. "Infiltration of defenders to gain their endos briefly for a jump has proven itself viable at present, yes - this particular instance was a combination of a 'couldn’t hurt to try' and proof of concept as such, but the goal was always strictly the borrowing of endos as we did (rather than any greater infiltration/espionage/etc)."

The revelation that Miravana was spying on 10000 Islands caused a diplomatic incident between 10000 Islands and The East Pacific, who are signatories to the Treaty of the Waxing Moon, which forbids acts of hostility and places an obligation to inform the other party of espionage or other security risks.

Questions about this revelation were raised in the NationStates Gameplay Discord server, a private community run by Koth of Osiris and The Black Hawks. Concerns about the possible treaty violation were first raised by Karptusk, an officer in the Rejected Realms Army. They were met with jeers by raiders, including Miravana, and Frenchy, Supreme Commander of Lily. Major Lady Dominator of the Council of Hawks said that "Perhaps this may be a surprise, but we don’t exactly usually think about the idea that people would have a problem with one pure R/D org infiltratting [sic] another for purely R/D reasons." This echoes back to similar sentiments last year when, after Karptusk was outed as a spy in The Black Hawks, the Council brushed the act of espionage aside.

Atlae, Delegate of The East Pacific, confirmed that The East Pacific was not aware that Miravana was spying on 10000 Islands, saying "the situation from TEP's perspective right now seems to be absolute confusion. We knew of no spy, from or infiltrating XKI, participating in the op before and during the raid. The first time we heard about this was now," further adding that "EPSA [the Eastern Pacific Sovereign Army] will soon be withdrawing from Nasunia. Further talks with XKI will take place behind closed doors."

Lady Dominator, in their comments to the EBC, outlined how The Black Hawks would learn from the incident. "With joint operations going forward, it’ll principally be a matter of more carefully thinking about the invites if we repeat this particular tactic again to avoid the conflict that happened in this case - other joint operations we’ve been careful to avoid inviting conflicting regions or inviting regions to raids their policies don’t allow, which we’ll continue doing."

Just twelve hours after the raid, during the following minor update, 9AM, July 25th Pacific time, Nasunia was liberated by a coalition including The Order of the Grey Wardens, 10000 Islands, The Rejected Realms, The South Pacific, The West Pacific, The League, Thaecia, Free Nations Region, the United Regions Alliance, and Japan.

Last edited:
Congrats to TBH on this win, certainly. I can't say I mind 10KI getting mud on their face.

Less great they lost at the minor, but c'est la vie

Reactions: Vor
Really meh not to inform EPSA about the spy they were about to burn.

Personally speaking, this is the kind of sleazy shit that makes me hesitant about TBH. Tag Raids, short holds, Fash-bashing.... all awesome in my book.

Spies, infiltration, purposely roping in other militaries with misinformation to try to break their alliances (this is not the first time TBH has had this happen), harassing natives during an Op (not saying that happened in this situation, just in the past) are things that really turn me off. And I think it makes Europeia look worse over time to be associated with actions like that. We should be treading more carefully about our own foreign interests and be more wary of militaries who seem to be willfully negligent about the foreign entanglements of their own raid partners.

This seems like a waste of two years for the person doing the spying for TBH. All they got was a brief victory?

This seems like a waste of two years for the person doing the spying for TBH. All they got was a brief victory?
Was only two months, but I do feel like there are better ways to attain that kind of victory that don't involve more or less cutting off the potential for a feeder to work with you for the considerable future.

Two months, not two years, if I read correctly.

Was only two months, but I do feel like there are better ways to attain that kind of victory that don't involve more or less cutting off the potential for a feeder to work with you for the considerable future.
Two months, not two years, if I read correctly.
Yes, sorry, I misread! Still doesn't seem like a great payoff.

Spies, infiltration, purposely roping in other militaries with misinformation to try to break their alliances (this is not the first time TBH has had this happen), harassing natives during an Op (not saying that happened in this situation, just in the past) are things that really turn me off
Spies and infiltration are things I almost wish we had a little more of in our military gameplay. Piling at update is neat and all, but it's a numbers game, and those can become foregone conclusions pretty easily. Spying and infiltration are the things that give us the occasional surprise in R/D. Roping in someone to break an alliance is rough play, tho, and that's the part that reflects poorly on TBH.

Spies, infiltration, purposely roping in other militaries with misinformation to try to break their alliances (this is not the first time TBH has had this happen), harassing natives during an Op (not saying that happened in this situation, just in the past) are things that really turn me off
Spies and infiltration are things I almost wish we had a little more of in our military gameplay. Piling at update is neat and all, but it's a numbers game, and those can become foregone conclusions pretty easily. Spying and infiltration are the things that give us the occasional surprise in R/D. Roping in someone to break an alliance is rough play, tho, and that's the part that reflects poorly on TBH.
I agree, mostly. The spying and infiltration wasn't my biggest issue, it definitely was the lying to TEP and trying to break an alliance.

Just as a follow-up to this whole thing, has TEP stopped working with TBH since this happened?
@Vlaska @Kazaman @Calvin Coolidge?

There's been no official statement from the EPSA or TEP's government that I'm aware of, so any changes in policy would have been informal.

Back