[BREAKING NEWS] REFERENDUM TO DECIDE FATE OF PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY

REFERENDUM TO DECIDE FATE OF PEOPLE'S ASSEMBLY
President Icarus sends the People's Assembly Omnibus Act to a referendum

Written by PhDre

34 Goldenblock Avenue - President Icarus has chosen not to sign the People's Assembly Omnibus Act, stating that "I cannot, in good conscience, come to a fair decision on this topic on my own without neglecting either side."

According to Constitution IV, the President may "reserve [a bill passed by the Senate and presented to the President] for the signification of the People's Assent in the form of referendum." From the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation's (EBC) reading of the Referenda Act, the referendum will be held at earliest on Saturday, as there is a required 72 hour (3 day) debate period.

President Icarus's term ends on January 20th, and both Presidential candidates have suggested they would have also sent the bill to a referendum if given the opportunity.

Presidential Candidate Lloenflys said "I would rather see people use ... pre-existing options to do things like practice drafting legislation and would rather see people spending time doing ministry work rather than engaging in the PA... I think this is a big enough issue that giving the option to the people to decide whether to reconstitute this body makes sense." Presidential Candidate Olde Delaware stated that "the President and I stand in total agreement. The people are going to be asked to invest in this, they should be the ones to decide."

Vice Presidential candidate Kuramia said "we oftentimes have a vocal minority that speaks up concerning larger changes or additions like the PA, it's good to actually get an evaluation ... so we can have discussion from not only those who have said yes, but those who think no." Vice Presidential candidate Sopo predicted that " I think the body has widespread support, so I expect it to pass."

When reached for comment, Senate Speaker GraVandius said that "This is one of the lowest stakes bills to ever be sent to referendum. We are talking about practically a word for word return of a popular institution the existed for over 7 years... the current Senate was elected with a clear mandate to pass it. I fully expect the bill to succeed at referendum. Overall it is just a better way to get people legislative experience and into the Senate than any of our training programs we have had in the interim."

In the January 2023 Election Poll run by the EBC (27 respondents), the majority (56%) suggested they would vote in favor of a Referendum creating the People's Assembly, with 15% stating they would not vote in favor. A significant minority of respondents appear undecided.

1674061318690.png

Quickest turn-around for an article I've seen! Great reporting, PhDre!

Disappointed in this decision to send to referendum. We aren’t creating something with any real power and it shouldn’t be controversial to sign. There is broad support for the PA, as many senators were elected with it as a key part of the platform, and there is no active movement working against its passage. Being president requires making tough decisions, not punting them - and definitely not punting on what should be a relatively easy decision.

That said, excellent and quick coverage. Great work, PhDre.

Disappointed in this decision to send to referendum. We aren’t creating something with any real power and it shouldn’t be controversial to sign. There is broad support for the PA, as many senators were elected with it as a key part of the platform, and there is no active movement working against its passage. Being president requires making tough decisions, not punting them - and definitely not punting on what should be a relatively easy decision.
I do think it is surprising that not only Icarus but also both candidates were in favor of a referendum. Possibly (my speculation) this is because both candidates are against the PA Act, which has broad popular support. Perhaps we should be creating / fostering institutions that people want to participate in! Also, folks in favor of the PA should consider what happens when no one pro-PA runs for President (imo).

I mean the question remains is PA really that popular or has it just temporarily gained momentum and the opposition isn't vocal about it? Either way yet another banger from PhDre

This is fabulous journalistic effort PhDre, great work getting this turned around so fast. I love it!

Vote YES for the Presidential Candidate that supports the ... oh. Oh wait. :hype:

I mean the question remains is PA really that popular or has it just temporarily gained momentum and the opposition isn't vocal about it? Either way yet another banger from PhDre
I submitted no votes at all in the General Election because every single candidate voiced support for the PA.

I submitted no votes at all in the General Election because every single candidate voiced support for the PA.
Even my tepid decision not to try to kill it dead was too much for Darcness :LOL:

I do think it is surprising that not only Icarus but also both candidates were in favor of a referendum. Possibly (my speculation) this is because both candidates are against the PA Act, which has broad popular support. Perhaps we should be creating / fostering institutions that people want to participate in! Also, folks in favor of the PA should consider what happens when no one pro-PA runs for President (imo).
For both the Presidential Candidates, they are both members of the vocal minority against the bill so supporting sending a popular bill to referendum is pretty much the only logical stance to take when you are trying to get elected. It’s a much tougher sell to come out really hard pro-veto of something popular.

As for Icarus I’m not sure what exactly their personal stance on the bill is but certainly the electoral calculus does not apply.

For both the Presidential Candidates, they are both members of the vocal minority against the bill so supporting sending a popular bill to referendum is pretty much the only logical stance to take when you are trying to get elected. It’s a much tougher sell to come out really hard pro-veto of something popular.
Yes, I agree that candidates have been forced to moderate their public position on this issue (and other issues) in order to keep their campaigns viable.

As for Icarus I’m not sure what their personal stance on the bill is but certainly the electoral calculus does not apply.
A lot of bills that noticeably alter the structure of the region end up in referendum. I'm surprised you expected this one to be any different.

As for Icarus I’m not sure what their personal stance on the bill is but certainly the electoral calculus does not apply.
A lot of bills that noticeably alter the structure of the region end up in referendum. I'm surprised you expected this one to be any different.

This doesn't noticeably alter the structure of the region, IMO. I agree that historically, some larger acts go to a referendum, but I expect this to be a decisive vote in favor. I guess we'll see!

Edit: I would have agreed that it were a significant alternation of structure if any powers had been moved from the Senate to the PA - which is something I strongly opposed. However, that is not the case, this is spinning up an insititution we've already had in Europeia that a lot of Europeians wanted to see return, with no significant or notable alterations to that institution. So I dont see it as a significant alternation.

This isn't creating anything with real power or influence - it's a sandbox that serves as a training ground, and nothing else. I'd barely even classify it as government in its current form. It is, I suppose, technically a part of government. But it has no authority or responsibility. I expected presidents to make decisions, not punt on them. We aren't talking about the executive split or the re-merge.

Does bringing back the Citizens Assembly of 2017 “noticeably alter the structure of the region”? We are not shifting any significant functions from any other position in the region to it. It’s just a better forum for the public to discuss legislation and forward it to the Senate.

The City Council Act (2019) wasn’t sent to referendum not its repeal,
The Citizens’ Assembly Act (2012) wasn’t sent to referendum nor its repeal
The City Council Act (2012) wasn’t sent to referendum either,
baffling why would this be any different

I haven't voiced any opinion so far, but I'll be voting against this bill.

This isn't creating anything with real power or influence - it's a sandbox that serves as a training ground, and nothing else. I'd barely even classify it as government in its current form. It is, I suppose, technically a part of government. But it has no authority or responsibility. I expected presidents to make decisions, not punt on them. We aren't talking about the executive split or the re-merge.
I don’t know why you view my decision to send this to a referendum as less of a decision than me passing/vetoing it. As President I view it as my responsibility to do what is best for the region. I have pondered this issue since it first arose and I believe there to be both risks as well as potentially benefits that could come from this. I genuinely don’t know which outweigh the other. If I had the answer, I simply would’ve passed/vetoed it but this is not as easy, we are in a very different position than we (presumably) were when the predecessor bills to this were first passed. There has been a heated debate going on for months now. We are currently facing a massive activity slump in the executive, this proposal has the potential to either fix that or to make it worse, which is the last thing we need right now. There is much more at stake than just this bill because it has the potential to affect Europeia in its current state drastically. As president it is my job to make decisions but it is also my job to know my own limits and to ask for additional input when I don’t know the answer. And I did make a decision, one I did not reach easily, it is not me dodging my responsibilities, it is me recognising that I am not absolute in my ability to know the answer to everything. Sure, I could’ve made the easy choice and pass/veto it because "that’s what presidents do" but that would be downright stupid and unfair to anyone who cares about this proposal one way or the other. The mere discussion in this thread shows that people deeply care about whether or not this gets passed and I would be a fool to ignore all of that. Me sending this to a referendum is me making the tough decision.

Wow, this was fast! Love to see this coverage from PhDre and the EBC.

Back