Bowzin's Fall From Grace: A Timeline

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Disclaimer: This article will reference two articles from "The Rejected Times." Due to the poor history that paper has, I will only be citing publicly available information and Bowzin’s own words to the paper as fact. I hope this assuages any doubt regarding this article’s veracity.

In the time since Bowzin's firing as Attorney General, Europeia hasn't heard much from him. That is, until a recent article from "The Rejected Times" that goes into Bowzin's history in Balder, and a follow-up interview where Bowzin goes into detail about his actions in that region, which serves as a sort of farewell to NationStates. Frankly, they do not paint a very flattering picture of our former Attorney General, so I wanted to create a timeline that matches up Bowzin's misdeeds in Balder with his recent history here in Europeia, to give some context to what many saw as an off period for Bowzin. Here is that timeline.

On March 3, Grand Admiral Bowzin’s resignation was announced by Chief of State Pichtonia. Bowzin explained his reasoning thusly: “Last term and going into this term I had a huge desire to lead the Navy, but for some reason that sort of just disappeared. Might be cause [sic] of commitments elsewhere, I'm not really sure. Either way, I started to feel this about the same time last year, and it ended up with me leaving Euro, so decided to just try and step back instead.”

On March 5, Balder announced that the trial of Griffindor13 had concluded with a guilty verdict on the charges of treason and deception, in a case presided over by OnderKelkia. Griffindor13 was previously thought to have acted alone, however, it later became apparent that Bowzin had actually orchestrated the entire operation, named "Operation Heimdall."

Bowzin himself confirms this fact in a “tell-all” interview with "The Rejected Times", going so far as to say he “joined Balder with the original intention to undergo a coup d'etat”. From this point, Bowzin claims that he organized the coup that was “already... in talks, and [he] shoved [him]self in as the leader to keep an eye on it”. He admits, however, that he “knew Griff was a political rival that could be eliminated, as bad as that sounds, and [he] knew getting him implicated in a coup would potentially boost [his] own political status.”

Bowzin then leaks everything that happens to North East Somerset (NES), King of Balder, while also admitting that “[he] still had coup in the back of [his] mind and was going to soft coup if [he] ever got Delegate legitimately.” That paints this April Fools' coup from Bowzin in a very different light, frankly.

On April 12, Bowzin was nominated to be Attorney General by Chief of State Pichtonia. Bowzin was coming off a term as a standout Law Clerk, and came highly recommended by outgoing Attorney General Prim. He was unanimously confirmed to the position on April 18.

It didn’t take long for Bowzin run into trouble, however, as on April 26 he faced Senate oversight regarding a judicial review he filed over Chief of State Pichtonia adding Bowzin to his Line of Succession after Bowzin encouraged him to do so. Bowzin apologized for the action and soon retracted it.

In May, Bowzin was up for reelection as Statsminister (the Balder equivalent to a President) and lost out on another term. He does a show detailing his understanding of Balder’s history and structure on Europeian radio soon after.

On May 18, Bowzin once again found himself on the receiving end of Senate oversight, as he had failed to produce a Legislative Assessment for the Judicature Act. He once again apologizes, cites real life as the factor that hindered his progress, and promises better communication going forward.

This takes us to June 14, when Bowzin faced the Senate for the last time, as a barrage of questions were asked regarding multiple missed Legislative Assessments, with no communication given to explain his reasoning. It had also come out that Bowzin had left the Discord server a week prior, with no announcement.

Later that day, Attorney General Bowzin was fired by First Minister Istillian. Through the grapevine, it was pieced together that Bowzin was taking some time away from the game, though the reasoning was unclear until the pair of reports from "The Rejected Times" were released.

In his “tell-all”, which was released on August 16, Bowzin claims “NationStates is a toxic cesspool. I am pretty sure everyone that plays agrees.” He also reaffirms his belief that Balder should be couped by saying “I just really hope someone else can come in and pick up where I left off [in Balder]. With the reform that is, not the couping. But also maybe with the couping.”

He goes on to take shots at NES by saying “The nobility [the upper legislative house] is a list that NES directly controls with no checks, so he can assure those who are on it vote in a way he prefers. Any legislation or nomination needs to be confirmed by both houses to pass, meaning the upper house can maintain status quo and reject and [sic] laws or nominations they do not like, aka laws or nominations NES doesn't like. Furthermore, NES has an insane amount of veto power.” OnderKelkia also gets hit by Bowzin on his way out when he states “Onder has an issue where he is so afraid of failure he is unwilling to take any sort of risk.”

And that’s how Bowzin left things in NationStates. Ending on a petty interview that revealed his desire to destabilize one of Europeia's most successful allies, with no apologies or remorse for his actions. An unfortunate turn of events for someone that many once considered a rising star in Europeian politics. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, who is very disappointed.

The articles from The Rejected Times: The Truth Behind Balder's Coup and Bowzin's Interview

Great article Calvin! Very in-depth and detailed, it was interesting to learn about Bowzin's career in Euro before I returned.

Bowzin definitely ended up being a strange character. The level of hypocrisy in his idea of NS being toxic and being also an instigator or that toxicity knows no bounds.

His trajectory even in Euro alone was very odd. He would regularly become a rather popular figure, very active and engaged in military, culture, legal areas.... and then just self-sabotage and go out in a blaze of confusion. He had done a spectacular job as MinCult with the EuroChoice Awards in January 2019 and was cited as a key rising star, and then one weird argument on discord where he was mad that admins wouldn't allow his bot in the server and he GTFO'd on a whim. Then months later after he cooled down and came back, same thing, rising star, active in military then got involved in Law Clerks and was very active -- then once he became AG, it was like a light turned off, he became abrasive and confrontational and then disappeared.

It's just a very weird path to take....

This was a really interesting read; I'd heard nothing about these TRR interviews so getting a more fleshed-out timeline puts things into perspective with Bowzin's downfall.

A generally good summary, I would just pick up a minor point;

Griffindor13 was previously thought to have acted alone

I never thought Griffindor acted alone, however Bowzin's involvement was protected under Balder law, namely Section 3.1.b of the Criminal Code;

"Any party, upon having made a reasonable attempt in a timely fashion to disclose such information, shall have impunity of this offense."

By coming to me and pre-emptively providing details of the "Heimdell plot", Bowzin effectively granted himself impunity so he could not be prosecuted for it. Griffindor on the other hand when confronted about it, lied about who was involved and what was said, thus committing another offense (deception) and spurning his opportunity for impunity.

So we always knew he was involved, and suspected it may have been a "set-up", but there was no evidence of that, it was just speculation, and the Courts have to deal with the facts as they are presented - not speculation. I don't think we'll ever know Bowzin's true motives for sure because even his "tell all" was anything but - he told me privately that active players were aware of his coup activities but then refused to disclose their names publicly. We will probably never know the "full truth" about the whole affair, but suffice to say from a "coup" point of view, it was basically doomed to fail from the start. Bowzin is no longer a citizen of Balder or Europeia, and it would probably be best if it stayed that way now.

Last edited:
Back