[BEYOND THE BORDERS] The Rejected Realms Dropped out of The Liberty Gala After Raiders are Kicked Out

The Rejected Realms Dropped out of The Liberty Gala After Raiders were Kicked Out
The Rejected Realms Stood Up for its Raider Citizenry

Written by Bronyleader

Started by members of the regions of 10000 Islands, Founderless, The Order of the Grey Wardens, and Lily, The Liberty Gala was intended to help raise awareness for the Defender ideology and overall have a good time. However, despite this goal, the event was not exempt from a large amount of controversy, ultimately leading to the dropping out of The Rejected Realms. (TRR)

The event first received attention after Jakker, General of The Black Hawks and a NationStates Forum Moderator, posted on the event's invitation thread that he had been banned from the event’s Discord server, despite his interest in the event. Instead of apologizing and resolving the situation, HumanSanity replied to by saying "I felt my language was pretty clear But [Sic] banning you was fun, so no regrets" This then led to a long debate about whether or not the actions of HumanSanity and the rest of The Liberty Gala staff were right or not.

Despite all the arguments and jabs towards the event and the people hosting it, things did not really go any further than that. That is, until it was officially announced that The Rejected Realms was dropping out of the event as a whole. At the time of writing, the only statement given was from Guy, Commander of The Rejected Realms Army, saying “[...] On the other hand, I think that invaders are perfectly fine as people. Certainly there is no problem with invaders as a class that means they cannot participate in a community event - and do it in a way in which everyone has fun. Like most defenders, I get on really well with invaders. So I also think that the decision to exclude them from this event is unfortunate.”

This incident has also prompted one of the NationStates Forum Moderators to start a discussion on IC/OOC divide in the Gameplay sub-forum to discuss whether or not changes are needed, as the thread for the Liberty Gala was a mix of In-Character discussion and Out-of-Character insults and thoughts that were hard to distinguish from each other.

According to RaiderCon participants, this entire incident is a stark contrast to that event, which raises awareness and gives some insight into the world of raiding, and allows everyone, regardless of ideology, to join and does not enforce a strict raider-only mentality.

It is very likely that future relations between The Rejected Realms and the organizers of The Liberty Gala are going to be soured, as there are a lot of people within the region who are raiders that could see this event as discriminatory for not allowing a large group of people to join simply because of their in-game ideology. On the other side of the coin, the organizers likely are not going to be very happy with TRR because of the fact that they chose to pull out of the event to stand up for their raiders, completely going against the ideology that the entire event was trying to promote in the first place.

It is unclear whether or not The Liberty Gala will return again anytime in the future, with HumanSanity replying to someone asking about the future of the event with “Future me will get back to you once future all of us have future decided [Sic] if we future want [Sic] to do this again.”

Last edited:
Well this is certainly informative. While I'm all for inclusivity in most areas, I'm not sure I care here. It's a Defender conference. I'd be more offended if they kicked out someone like, say, HEM and conflated "Independent" with "Invader," but who says you need to invite Invaders to a Defender conference?

Though unless I'm mistaken, I get the impression TRR has a decent membership base of both Invaders and Defenders? That certainly throws my entire take out the window.

Well this is certainly informative. While I'm all for inclusivity in most areas, I'm not sure I care here. It's a Defender conference. I'd be more offended if they kicked out someone like, say, HEM and conflated "Independent" with "Invader," but who says you need to invite Invaders to a Defender conference?

Though unless I'm mistaken, I get the impression TRR has a decent membership base of both Invaders and Defenders? That certainly throws my entire take out the window.
In my opinion, it's ironic that certain defenders act as if they have moral superiority and then exclude raiders from a Defender event, when the "morally inferior" raiders are willing, at the very least, to be inclusive.

In my opinion, it's ironic that certain defenders act as if they have moral superiority and then exclude raiders from a Defender event, when the "morally inferior" raiders are willing, at the very least, to be inclusive.
My thoughts exactly when I watched the discussion unfold. I'm not very active in GP, but I do like to stalk it :p

For those interested, there was a debate on TSP’s discord over whether they should be removed from the OP, which they were. I’m glad that TRR, a democratic region, pulled out of an event excluding those of a particular ideology.
Also, Jakker was banned from the discord. This article says he was kicked.

On the other side of the coin, the organizers likely are not going to be very happy with TRR because of the fact that they chose to pull out of the event to stand up for their raiders, completely going against the ideology that the entire event was trying to promote in the first place.
I’d be disappointed if relations between TRR and other regions suffered because of the democratic principles of TRR.

For those interested, there was a debate on TSP’s discord over whether they should be removed from the OP, which they were. I’m glad that TRR, a democratic region, pulled out of an event excluding those of a particular ideology.
Also, Jakker was banned from the discord. This article says he was kicked.
Error noticed and corrected. Apologies.

Also, just as a chance to add my own thoughts to this discussion (apologies for being a bit late), I'd like to start off by saying that I really don't have any leanings when it comes to NS military gameplay and I've only been playing this game for about 6-7 months. However, with that being said, I personally think that this entire situation could've simply been avoided if it would've been handled better by HumanSanity. The whole "You should've read the whole premise of the event, but boy did I enjoy banning you!" bit felt very immature and dug a hole for the event as a whole from that point forward.

It also didn't help that Lily was involved either. Their reputation hasn't exactly been the best and including them in a defender-only event felt a bit weird by many since, as far as I'm aware, they're not a defender region. They're independent, with many going as far as to say they're actually raider. Overall we have a very interesting situation that I'm hoping will turn out well.

This is a really informative and well-written article. Happy to see it created some chatter here!

Thanks, Brony!

Back