August Presidential Poll Results

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Between August 7th and 9th, this paper held a poll in the Grand Hall, asking for voters' opinions on the upcoming Presidential election, and the current Executive term. We got 26 responses, and here are the results, presented with care, and a lack of commentary, for efficiency.

President Writinglegend

Mean: 7.12/10
Mode: 7/10

Rated Positively by 73%, Neutrally by 23%, and Negatively by 4%

• He had a hard term. All of the resignations happened and it left him in a pickle.
  • WL was screwed by a summer slump, but due to his leadership he turned an otherwise stagnant term into one with accomplishments.
  • WL didnt do a bad job but he is partially responsible for selecting ministers that were likely to be unreliable in this term. It is the loss of ministers that made this term severly lackluster.
  • He did his best, but with a revolving door in the Cabinet it's tough to work with what he had to deal with.
  • No
  • Been hit hard by his team, but he's a fighter
  • A lot of good work has been done, but the overall feel of this term has been fairly stagnant.
  • Another WL term feels like more of the same (I think this is one reason newer members may be more frustrated), and it doesn't help that we're in (or were in) the summer slump.
  • Expected a lot more by the administration.

Vice President Deepest House

Mean: 6.96
Mode: 7,8,9

Rated Positively by 61%, Neutrally by 35%, and Negatively by 4%

• Hardly noticed them.
  • Aside from his comments on the media agreement I didn't really see hide nor hair of deepest house.
  • Good helping out at Comms, not seen him around anywhere else though.
  • I have not really seen what contributions and work DH has currently done. I would appreciate being informed more about his actions.
  • Seemed to be a typically un-foward VP
  • Seems like a pretty chill dude 10/10 but honestly have no idea on any of his accomplishments because I just joined the region a month ago
  • One of the better VPs
  • Much of what the VP does is behind the scenes, so I'm leaning towards Positive because I feel DH is an active contributor and helping hand.
  • DH's greatest accomplishment is probably complimenting ministers whenever they do something so it looks like all is going well.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Darcness

Mean: 7.4
Mode: 7

Rated Postively by 77%, Neutrally by 23%, and Negatively by 0%

• Things happened, but it wasn't our most eventful term, despite the many interesting across Nationstates; the ministry was quiet and seemingly inactive. I am pretty sure that WritingLegend could have accomplished everything that was accomplished this term in FA if Darcness hadn't been there.
  • I could clearly see the hard work Darcness is putting into this term. It's greatly appreciated.
  • The SoFA and the media agreement are two strong steps forward.
  • Not enough experience in the FA to really know any major contributions
  • Not much to hear, but I'm pretty sure he did a good job
  • Exceptional work this term.
  • Two good-looking treaties this term, and it looks like that ship is sailing smoothly at a glance

Minister of the Interior Le Libertia

Mean: 6.04
Mode: 5 and 6

Rated Positively by 39%, Neutrally by 46%, and Negatively by 15%

• A partial term minister; LL gets marks for what they accomplished even if they were set back by only having a partial term.
  • Haven't seen much results on mentoring and population has been slowly slipping
  • I am Le Libertia :)
  • A valid effort for someone with the experience he has to come in as he did and keep the ministry inching foward. I think he deserves a full term effort.
  • sparked activity in such leanghs
  • I didn't really notice much from LL, but I rarely pay attention to Interior, so...
  • Although Le Libertia had a rocky start since he was replacing another Minister I think he did a really good job leading Interior and trying to get things back to normal.
  • I wish my judgement could be taken out of this survey, because I don't know if I can judge him fairly. I feel nothing about his term.
  • Underwhelming
  • After a slow start, Libertia's begun to pull together what has been a mess of a term. I'm pleasantly surprised by his performance.
  • A shame he didn't do better. I had high expectations for him.

Minister of Culture Rand

Mean: 5.64

Rated Positively by 23%, Neutrally by 50%, and Negatively by 27%

• What even happened in Culture this term? I don't think that anything that happened was actually the doing of Rand, the NES ovation was "successful" only because it lasted forever and people volunteered their time writing speeches. Weekend games ran but that was because they had Pyntuma to run them.
  • Did he even do anything? Rand seemed to flop in his chance for success.
  • Nothing felt really stand out about his tenure
  • NES's Ovation went well, but I'm unsure of what's been going on other than that.
  • Don't know enough about Culture, but it seems Rand did an alright job. I can't recall any major changes he did to benefit Culture, but then again, maybe it's just because I'm new.
  • Rand has put more effort into his Necro Amendment in the CA than he has into running the Culture Ministry. How many days does it take to add people to the Ministry?
  • Not better than a newcomer.
  • Underwhelming
  • Not sure what's going on in culture, it would be best to not include these answers in the numbers
  • Eh.

Minister of Communications Rach

Mean: 6.33
Mode: 6 and 7

Rated Positively by 46%, Neutrally by 39%, and Negatively by 15%

• Where has she been?
  • This term was definitely a step down from last term, both in the quality of the articles put forth, the number of articles put out, the number of contributors and the activity of the minister. It was always destined to be a downhill slide (Because I don't think anyone could really match DH in being MinCom at this point in time) but I think the lack of leadership within the ministry really spurred it downwards.
  • The ministry has been churning out a lot of articles and dispatches this term. But imo, the quality of the articles has decreased a bit.
  • Good job for time alloted.
  • Good start for the term, petered out.
  • Another strong term, with 13 EBC articles and many dispatches being written,
    I think Rach did a pretty good job and was pretty involved and active in her ministry.
  • WA seems like a tough job to seem good in.
  • OK
  • The beginning of the term was strong, but recently the production of articles has slowed, and she decided to take her discord disagreement and publish it in the EBC.
  • The worst in a bad cabinet, imo.
  • Didn't write too many things

Attorney General jahka

Mean: 5.36
Mode: 5

Rated Positively by 23%, Neutrally by 50%, and Negatively by 27%

• I forgot he existed
  • I know he was another replacement, and typically I grade replacements on a curve, but he was just... totally invisible for his entire tenure.
  • Where is he?
  • I haven't seen any work done by him.
  • Again, did a good job, just not involved enough to really know.
  • No comment
  • ok
  • Not sure what goes on here, pretend the answers for this don't exist

Grand Admiral Kylia Quilor

Mean: 6.96
Mode: 8

Rated Positively by 73%, Neutrally by 19%, and Negatively by 8%

• One of the bright points in this administration was the navy, training happened, ops happened, and collaborations with foreign militaries happened. This was a good term in the ERN.
  • to few raids
  • Well since she's me - I feel like I had a better start to the term than the finish, but I feel like I'm still doing solidly.
  • Kylia was a good GA and knew how to effectively lead the Navy (at least from what I've seen)
  • Started well, I didn't follow it recently, but Kylia seemed less active.
  • Excellent

Minister of Radio Calvin Coolidge

Mean: 7

Rated Positively by 69%, Neutrally by 27%, and Negatively by 4%

• I honestly kept forgetting that he was a minister. I gave him middle of the road marks because I assume radio kept going, but I couldn't tell you what radio did this term. Aside from the interview with Griffin nothing is coming to mind; which speaks to a lack of advertisement about radios activities. If people don't know they're going on, we can't draw in new members.
  • Did we do anything?
  • I didn't listen to radio at all this term. Just couldn't fit it into my schedule, so I can't really give an opinion. There needs to be a 'Can't answer' or 'null value' option for the number rankings so I don't have to give a default 5
  • Did a really good job leading and contributing to Radio.
  • Calvin has done a good job, not surprisingly. Could have done a bit more, but that's why I rated him 8 and not 10 or anything.
  • Very Good
  • Calvin doesn't seem to be able to pull guests onto planned broadcasts which really hurts a ministry where the objective is putting out as much high quality content as possible. This may not be Calvin's fault as things have shown down in the summer, but hopefully he can turn things around these last few weeks.

Minister of World Assembly Kaboom

Mean: 6.44

Rated Positively by 58%, Neutrally by 31%, and Negatively by 11%

• The ministry was dead. Two resignations in a row killed it. Kaboom came in and it sprang back to life. He's the Cat of the MoWA.
  • Did a good job leading the WA and seems very knowledgeable in that area.
  • Great
  • do we know what this ministry does yet?
  • What happens in this ministry?
  • Pretty okay. I am not a fan of the Ministry in general and I don't think he could do more.

Overall Administration

Mean: 6.64

Rated Positively by 58%, Neutrally by 34%, and Negatively by 8%

• It was a meh term.
  • The resignations really stunted the term. While it wasn't necessarily WL's fault I dont think he should be re-elected.
  • With this many resignations it's tough to put a number on it, but the Cabinet did their best to make it work.
  • Where is everybody?
  • Could of been better but cant blame them with all the absences
  • I'm pretty disappointed with this term as a whole, I get that there was a mess in the middle of the term, but I don't believe that excuses the inability of the executive to follow through on various promises.
  • Expected a lot more.

Would You Reconfirm This Cabinet Member?

Darcness- 22/26
Le Libertia - 15/26
Rand - 7/26
Rach - 12/26
jahka - 8/26
Kylia Quilor - 15/26
Calvin Coolidge - 15/26
Kaboom - 15/26

• See comments.
  • Personal feelings and a failure to fulfill their duty
  • I didn't reconfirm myself because I don't want a cabinet gig next term. The rest - I'd have to see what the President planned with them and how they handled themselves in Confirmations, tbh.
  • I didn't chose to confirm some people because I thought there could be better people in these positions that would offer more ideas and make each Ministry better. Additionally, I opted not to chose some people simply because I'm not sure they really benefited or improved any of the Ministries, but that may be due the the fact that I'm simply not involved in the Ministry.
    they knew what they were there to do
  • jahka, rand, and libertia have not done much this term
  • More of the same - we need some fresher faces because we have younger members who are capable and can easily do the jobs. That would go a long way in helping new members feel like they aren't going to be trapped and can actually go somewhere in Europeia
  • Their recent performance.

Judicial Appointments This Term

Rated Positively by 30%, Neutrally by 35%, and Negatively by 35%

• Aex should not have been nominated. I do not believe he was the right choice for the position.
  • Still disapprove of one of his appointments cough Aex cough cough.
  • Aex was a mistake. Bigly, a mistake.
  • Skizzy is always a strong choice, but I am still a little unsure of Aex's ability to be apolitical.
  • There aren't many people we consider 'qualified' as Justices, so it was a rough choice. With Onder and Skizzy on the Court, though, we can afford to take some chances.
  • Questionable
  • Aex was a weird pick imo
  • Aex, obviously. It isn't that Aex is inherently unqualified. Its that so many much-more-capable players were lobbying for the job, and the JTC has trained other newer members who are capable of being Justice. Whats the point of training members if we're simply going to push them aside?
  • Aex is known to be not able to stay out of politics. That doesn't make him a proper Justice.

Do You Believe The Region is on the Right Track?

Yes - 73%
No - 27%

Would You Reelect Writinglegend?

Yes - 50%
No - 50%

Who Would You Like to See Run for President?
Top Five

Darcness - 16/26
Drecq - 14/26
Brunhilde 12/26
Cat - 12/26
Deepest House - 10/26

• Europeia needs to be keenly aware of TGW and ensure we don't elect individuals who tacitly support the organization. Our next election is going to be a sleeper for what we stand for, especially in terms of our foreign policy agenda. It is going to be critical to elect a ticket who truly understand what we stand for as a community.
  • I am the only member of the Cabinet not explicitly listed as a candidate for President. It's a refreshing dose of realism.
  • Like I said above, this poll could really use a 'null value' entry in the 1-10 rankings, when you have no basis to make a ruling when it comes to the quality of the minister's term.
    tbh please do not actually read into my answers because i joined like 1 month ago and i honeslty just based these people off of what i personally know about them like they could have passed this stunning major piece of legislation that improved their ministry 100% one day before i came and i would have no idea thx
  • Both Darcness (who I rated well) and Rand (who I rated less well) are some of my Presidential favourites. I just think they might do better if they were in control. Especially Rand felt like he would have been better in a different Ministry. No idea why he was chosen for Culture.
  • Include a not enough knowledge to answer option for the ratings section, or don't make those parts mandatory.

Thanks to all who waited for these results, I truly appreciate your patience. If you wish to see the results (and some bonus questions I did not include here) click here. Signing off, this is Calvin Coolidge, taking his time.

This is really interesting! Thanks for taking the time to write this :D

Haven't seen much results on mentoring and population has been slowly slipping

Wanted to address this comment on LL with a bit of general NationStates knowledge, every region in the game has been slowly slipping in population right now. The only regions that grow in the depth of summer are small to mid sized UCRs with aggressive manual/stamp campaigns running constantly. Europeia is simply too big to stem the bleeding with the small amount of new nations that join the game in summer. Population decline during the season for population decline isn't an indictment of the interior minister at all unless we expect them to spend their own money keeping us stocked on stamps, and/or a Bob Moran level of manual recruiting persistence.

I was surprised to see so many low-rated Ministers. I personally felt that this term was good. It wasn't extremely eventful but there were some major successes, especially in foreign affairs. Summers aren't easy in NationStates, this is a fact. I applaud what this administration has been able to accomplish under these circumstances.

Great poll, Calvin! A very intriguing analysis! :clap:

I'd like to say in my defense briefly: I've been just as active as before, but with not being in the Senate and the ERN tied up in Osiris, there's been less for me to do, so I haven't been posting as much here or doing as much as GA. Still, I do agree the front end of the term was better for me, at least optically.

Two whole people want me to run for President. Watch out everyone, the Jaytatorship is coming through :ph43r:

Wow, tough crowd.

Aside from a spate of early resignations, I would rate this to be a steady-as-she-goes term at home (especially considering the time of year) and a strong term abroad.

Skizzy Grey said:
Wow, tough crowd.

Aside from a spate of early resignations, I would rate this to be a steady-as-she-goes term at home (especially considering the time of year) and a strong term abroad.
Pretty much my view.

Basically every Presidency since I've come back has been judged at least somewhat more harshly than I feel seems reasonable.

Tough crowd indeed. I am sad to see that I did not fulfill a majority of the region's expectations.

Europeia needs to be keenly aware of TGW and ensure we don't elect individuals who tacitly support the organization.

I don't think this has been a problem. Of our current elected officials, only WritingLegend and Festavo are in TGW's Discord. WL is there as an independent and Fest is there as a "Darkspawn." The only person among the Top Five of the "Who Would You Like to See Run for President?" section that is in TGW's Discord is me.

Admittedly, I'm friendly with a few members of TGW, but even with that said it'd be a stretch to say I support them. Unless we've got a bunch of secret TGW supporters who decide to get a political career in Europeia all of a sudden, I doubt we'll find ourselves in an environment where this is an internal issue.

EDIT: How can an election be a sleeper?

Brunhilde said:
Europeia needs to be keenly aware of TGW and ensure we don't elect individuals who tacitly support the organization.

I don't think this has been a problem. Of our current elected officials, only WritingLegend and Festavo are in TGW's Discord. WL is there as an independent and Fest is there as a "Darkspawn." The only person among the Top Five of the "Who Would You Like to See Run for President?" section that is in TGW's Discord is me.

Admittedly, I'm friendly with a few members of TGW, but even with that said it'd be a stretch to say I support them. Unless we've got a bunch of secret TGW supporters who decide to get a political career in Europeia all of a sudden, I doubt we'll find ourselves in an environment where this is an internal issue.

EDIT: How can an election be a sleeper?
Didn't even see that one, that's hilarious.

Watch out! The boogeyman is comin' to getcha!

Interesting results albeit not too surprising

Le Libertia said:
Tough crowd indeed. I am sad to see that I did not fulfill a majority of the region's expectations.

Altmoras said:
Haven't seen much results on mentoring and population has been slowly slipping

Wanted to address this comment on LL with a bit of general NationStates knowledge, every region in the game has been slowly slipping in population right now. The only regions that grow in the depth of summer are small to mid sized UCRs with aggressive manual/stamp campaigns running constantly. Europeia is simply too big to stem the bleeding with the small amount of new nations that join the game in summer. Population decline during the season for population decline isn't an indictment of the interior minister at all unless we expect them to spend their own money keeping us stocked on stamps, and/or a Bob Moran level of manual recruiting persistence.

I want to echo Altmoras, here. I've heard people lamenting how low our population numbers our and saying it reflects poorly on Le Libertia, but I think it's nonsense. I've always spoken about how NS goes through boom and bust cycles, and this is one of those population bust cycles. I spoke about this a little on the Euro-Merridel Mixlr broadcast: there's just less Nations being created, period. It's hard to recruit people when you've got less of a pool of people to reach, and, it's hard to retain nations when everyone's off enjoying summer vacations and getting ready for school and not paying attention to NS and logging in. After August is over and people are settling back into their grinds near September, we'll probably see population start to rise.

Le Libertia is working incredibly hard, albeit quietly and diligently (which is very much his style). I truly hope you aren't dissuaded by these results, and I hope I'll see you in another Ministry again, soon.

I'm wondering what people are referencing when they say this poll was harsh. The topline numbers are actually quite good, but I do agree that the comments and the "would you reconfirm" question suggest some sort of disconnect between the top-line approval numbers and people's attitudes.

Personally, I'd sum up this administration as "good, not great." Writinglegend throughout his time in office has developed an ability to keep drama down, which makes it difficult to point to many "aha! that's bad!" moments in his term. But otherwise, I'm not sure this administration is very distinguishable from President Darcness' or Aexnidaral Seymour's, with perhaps the exception of foreign affairs.

Yeah, definitely not that bad in the Grand scheme of things

Back