[At Home In Europeia] This Time One Year Ago: What Was Europeia Thinking?

This Time One Year Ago
What Was Europeia Thinking?

Written by Istillian

May 15 marks my one year in Europeia, a milestone I don't imagine that I will ever forget. This region is ever changing, and I feel that it has changed many of us with it, mostly for the better. I once even wrote of my journey in finding Europeia, although I now wonder what our region was like when I started here, as so much has happened since then, and so much I have forgotten. I am now in a position of high esteem in our government, managing and leading our executive, and it feels unreal that I was just beginning my time here only twelve months ago. So, for some fascinating highlights, I'd like to explore our region as it was, for it is sometimes hard to remember what has happened, especially when you jump in to such an information overload; and sometimes a reflection on times past can help us to make our future even greater.

To start off, I reviewed my own citizenship application, and was pleasantly surprised to see that Supreme Chancellor Lethen had left some truly welcoming words a few days later on my application thread, "I don't know how I missed your application until now." My first foray into Europeia was off to a resounding start.

My first conversation on Discord was a little later, as I can sometimes be a little shy to jump into things; it began a little like this:
Istillian06/06/2019
Good afternoon all! (I can't be the only one living below the equator)
Reija06/06/2019
Good afternoon!
Istillian06/06/2019
Just catching up on all the happenings on my train home from work 🙂
Reija06/06/2019
Lucky you. I have a couple more hours at work
Lol and i think you have a lot of backreading to do xD
Istillian06/06/2019
Yeah it seems like an endless sea of information - but that's half the fun of it haha I hope the next few hours at work aren't too bad for you!
Reija06/06/2019
Thanks 😄
The Law ™06/06/2019
Heyo
From under the equator too 😛
Reija06/06/2019
Ohh we’re gaining in numbers!
Istillian06/06/2019
Soon we'll take over, poor northerners...
Daxtastic06/06/2019
Taking over the world may be a problem if youre trying to expand the rule of those south of the equator, but if youre talking about taking over Euro go for it!
King Bee06/06/2019
Coup lloen first tho
Daxtastic06/06/2019
Silly OD thats the obvious first step
King Bee06/06/2019
Of course

Now, focusing on specifically regional history, rather than my personal, our now Mayor of Arnhelm Carathetopia joined only a little earlier than I did, on May 10 2019, and almost straight away jumped into the ministry of communications with a weekly update.

Executive Succession was the talk of the Senate, with former Senator Rand beginning discussion on a gap in the Constitution that allowed for a situation in which one of our chief executive offices would be vacant with no lawful successor, and the Line of Succession Act needed to be updated to reflect these holes. The changes also gave additional caretaker powers to high executive office, in the case of no successor able to fill the role.

Senator Rand also proposed amending the Constitution to allow for a referendum of any amendments made to the Constition. This was cited as the Constitutional Amendment Referenda Amendment Act (2019). The Amendment passed, with constitutional amendments now needing to receive greater than sixty percent support in order to pass a referendum.

In the Republic Square, we have our now Second Minister Hezekon, asking the public for a definition on Satan. Some wonderful descriptions followed, with citizens providing feedback such as:
Is it numbers?
"Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!"

-- Anton LaVey, The Satanic Bible

Former First Minister Lloenflys brought the spotlight to mental health awareness in the month of May 2019, issuing Executive Order LL19-01 Recognizing Mental Health, an incredibly worthy cause, that is fundamental to the health and well-being of our Republic. This was followed by a radio show on the topic, hosted by cuddles, and featuring Lloenflys.

An incredibly relevant meme was made by cuddles, making light fun of the executive split and the possibility of reform in the future; which may even have a lot more to do with the issues of today, but also contributing to our ever growing list of Europeian memes. Interestingly, reviewing our past memes, while humorous, they often also provide a characterisation of the political issues directly affecting our current climate, to which, especially in this case, we only see the effects of after some time. cuddles, I believe, may have been ahead of the curve in capturing the contention of today.

InkedInkedInkedimages_LI.jpg

The Grand Hall was rife with the question of whether or not foreign memberships should be disclosed for all confirmed and elected positions, pertaining to the security issues someone could bring into the region, particularly if one was to gain power when being affiliated with somewhere we may not have good inter-regional relations with. The matter is still on the mind of many when reviewing applications and promotions, however the bill in question, in regards to foreign affairs regulation, failed to achieve a unanimous vote.

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation presented us with some notable works; former First Minister Lloenflys wrote a fireside chat, engaging people on how some issues and arguments were bordering on the personal, and provided an insight and some suggestions on how we can be better as citizens. Deepest House wrote an analysis of the Senate by-election, and how Astrellan rose to victory as a trusted then newcomer; and a special report on the resignation of former minister of culture, Vulturret, was written by Astrellan, covering the chaos that ensued in The Ragerian Imperium after this loss, as well as the confusion in Europeia after the resignation.

From our private media outlets, HEM, on behalf of The E-News Network, wrote a piece on newcomers in the region, and provided an analysis on how they were surging into government roles. GraVandius, on behalf of the Europeian Research Institute, wrote an analysis of some of Europeia's history, where there was some conflict between the titles of threads between the Coalition for Responsible Politics and the Europeian Progressive party. Finally, Aex's Grumps gave us a fun and engaging write up, Europeia Plays: Stellaris.

Our most recent naval victory was a combined effort between the Europeian Republican Navy and the North Pacific Armed Forces, was in Warzone Africa. The hold lasted for a week, and was led by then Mate Kuramia, and Mate Pierce.

Looking back on this time twelve months ago, our region was still seeing a broad spectrum of fun and games, elections, and legislative changes; and this is but a broad snapshot of some of the activity going on at the time. What is notable is the once up and coming citizens have now established themselves as leaders, and the cycle of developing change, finding successors and new leaders, and engaging and entertaining our Republic, has begun once again.

I swear to god every time I go to play Stellaris and set something up a huge pack comes out and breaks all my mods.

Nicely done, Ist. I don't know why but this gave me a really weird and happy feeling to read!!

Back