[At Home in Europeia] The Importance of Radio

The Importance of Radio
Calvin Coolidge

Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) Radio is five years old as of last month. At its origin, President Malashaan utilized the Europeian Overseas Network (EON) under the watchful eye of the Ministry of Communications as an extension of the EBC itself, to create new opportunities for media and culture, in a mostly untapped area of Europeia: our voices. This was not the first time Europeia had done audio media, as Seven Deaths had done “Seven Minutes with Seven Deaths,” an audio interview format in 2013. In addition, President Anumia had even given a few official presidential speeches and awards via audio (a pain for anyone updating the official awards list) also in 2013. But now audio was open to everyone in the region, as the government had committed to maintaining the program, and training anyone interested in learning how to become a genuine broadcaster.

As someone who has been involved in EBC Radio from the beginning, I can say with certainty that the ability to connect with my fellow Europeians through direct conversation was incredibly exciting. There's always a layer of separation between citizens that comes from only communicating via text. Being as inclusive a region as we are, it also allows people to play to more of their strengths. If you aren't a strong writer, it can be easy to be somewhat limited in your effectiveness when it comes to public perception. But now, if you're a great talker, here's a chance for you to shine, in an area that has never been this accessible before. What this ultimately boils down to is what you feel more confident in, and putting your best self forward. For me, I feel reasonably confident in both my writing and my speaking, but I know that even between those two I have different strengths within. As a comedian, I can tell you that comedy is a whole other ballgame over typing. So, having the ability to switch between media is a real opportunity that Europeia provides, that is both fun and rewarding.

Now we have the Ministry of Radio standing strong on its own, serving up weekly content with a variety of Europeians offering up a side of themselves that we couldn't get anywhere else, and every Sunday Funday, every draft, and every dramatic reading brings us closer together as a community, knocking down the walls that this text-based forum of ours provides.

Woohoo radio! Thanks for providing some interesting context for the development of the ministry

Yay Radio. I feel honored to have several as a minister and learned of its wonderful history.

Radio is the single reason I joined Europeia among all the telegrams I received - I listened to a few shows and thought 'yep these guys are doing something innovative'.

I feel like this has been the case for many. Radio has been a huge factor for the integration of citizens old and new alike and I cherish every show we have, or every new radio staffer that has an awesome idea or a great time on radio.

Radio is the single reason I joined Europeia among all the telegrams I received - I listened to a few shows and thought 'yep these guys are doing something innovative'.
Wow, what interesting feedback. Could be worth highlighting radio more in both our interior and FA marketing materials.

Back