[AT HOME IN EUROPEIA] Staying Motivated In a Closed World

Staying Motivated In a Closed World
An Overview of Ideas

Written by Xecrio

Introducing the Shambles that is 2020
2020 has been nothing short of a disaster so far. When 2019 ended there was speculation that 2020 would be the beginning of a brilliant decade, and yet little thought that 2020 would be so disheartening. However, here we are, at the height of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, with a lot of uncertainty in our future, and although the majority of us are stuck inside we’re now tasked with finding activity and mental stimulation to keep us from going insane. Indeed when this year started, it didn’t seem like the current world threat was a threat the globe would have been compelled to focus on. Perhaps this was the greatest mistake. Countries like China and Japan engaged their citizens in a lockdown, and while the city of origin, Wuhan, is now partially re-opening, European countries find themselves in a state of lockdown, while the US now has the highest number of cases on the planet. Those reading this may have noticed that this article started in a very negative tone, and while there is still much to be positive, the tone of this article resonates with that of the tone of the region.

Backstory
In December 2019, the region was on a high. Citizens were in a festive mood and coming off the back of a winter themed competition, activity was booming. When 2020 began activity took a slight downturn, although ministries were still pumping out work for those not at work in real life to get on with. Vice chancellor Drecq opened 2020 with a speech reiterating the chances that Europeia had to offer. This speech did, of course, introduce the first First Minister Election of the term.

An Ironic Election
There is already an article out on the recapitulation of that election, yet despite everything the election outcome evolved into the strangest outcome yet. Maowi dominated the election, albeit to no-one's surprise, and began her term as first minister with relative positivity and approval. Two weeks into her premiership, Maowi resigned, leaving behind a wave of speculation and questions. Xecrio had been second in line during Maowi’s tenure, but since the whole upper executive did not resign, this had no effect on the outcome of the next first minister, which was Sopo. Sopo’s term picked up where Maowi left, and although it was unproductive, popular support of Sopo meant he didn’t receive as much criticism as someone else might. Sopo resigned two weeks into his tenure and then ran for Senate; was this his intention? Probably, but at the same time probably not. Sopo’s second minister Dax took the top spot, appointing Istillian as her second minister, and according to recent polls by the Europeian News Network, Dax has performed very well and sits highly with voters. Consequently, the final outcome of the first minister election was ironic and got the ball rolling for Europeia in what was maybe set to be a quiet term.

Do The Executive Shuffle
It’s also important to note that the executive that sits before Europeia now is not the executive that sat before Europeia a few months ago. Perhaps an important resignation was that of former minister of communications, Xecrio, whose second term was, as reflected in satisfaction polls, nothing short of abysmal. The disappearance of the Ministry of Research and Development,] additionally may have played a part in the reduction of activity. However, it should be said that the resignations of the two former first ministers are indeed the most significant.

Purpose
Now, this article is not a recap of what happened to the executive in late February/early March. The purpose of this article is to provide those who are sitting at home with some ideas and activity for them to do. It is necessary to understand why activity in Europeia depleted, and indeed, that executive shuffle definitely plays a part in that. However, external factors, given the recent depression in life, could have been a catalyst for the lack of motivation. Activity has once again improved, especially in the Ministry of Communications, but Europeia must not get carried away: there is much to be done.

Without further ado, after that rather extended introduction, here are some ways the reader can stimulate their brain both here in Europeia, and in the wider world.

Firstly, the real world:
  1. Wash your hands - This is one hundred percent cliche, but in the current climate there is nothing more important you can do than to wash your hands whenever you have the opportunity.
  2. Read a book - There’s nothing like escaping the real world and opening your imagination to the world of literature.
  3. Binge watch that Netflix series - It's 2020, and while the outside is seemingly off limits, the sofa is not.
  4. Make something - Not everyone is good at design and technology, but now that the only non human contact anyone has is with the walls around. It can be big, it can be small, but make it good
  5. Cook something new - Being stuck inside all day, it may feel as though one's oesophagus is consuming the same produce nearly every day. Fancy yourself to be an avid chef, see what’s in the fridge, and whip up a delicious cocktail of flavour.

Secondly, Europeia:
  1. Write an article - Set up your own private newspaper and begin producing content for it. Alternatively write a Europeian Broadcasting Corporation article of your choice.
  2. Set up a competition - This works easier if you're in the Ministry of Culture. Get in contact with the current minister and see where your mind takes you.
  3. Get on radio - With topics flying about all over the place these days, make your opinion known.
  4. Write a World Assembly proposal - Work in the legal firm, but can’t go to work? No worries: NationStates has its own virtual legislative branch!
  5. Do some recruiting - Recruiting is always helpful, so get on that computer and send some telegrams.
In Conclusion
These lists are not finite, there’s plenty more everyone can do to get involved and stay motivated. It is imperative that at this time, when there is plenty of reason to do nothing and wallow in your own sadness, that we find something to do. In Europeia, or in real life, whatever it may be. Stay safe.

It's been a turbulent time for sure, but this article has a lot of great advice about focusing on what we can control and making the best of our situation for us and for the region. Good stuff, Xecrio.

Nice work Xecrio! A very timely piece of writing considering everything that's going on in the world, particularly with how it can affect Europeia too.

Being stuck inside all day, it may feel as though one's oesophagus is consuming the same produce nearly every day.

Are you saying that eating pizza pockets for every meal 24/7 is a bad thing?

Nice work Xecrio! A very timely piece of writing considering everything that's going on in the world, particularly with how it can affect Europeia too.

Being stuck inside all day, it may feel as though one's oesophagus is consuming the same produce nearly every day.

Are you saying that eating pizza pockets for every meal 24/7 is a bad thing?
That's for you to decide.

I've been going outside for walks when I'm home (I'm still working, though we scaled back to 4 days a week and my day is Friday), and I dread having to go out later to get some groceries, but I definitely miss my 2 or 3 days a week where I would stop at my parents' to walk their dogs. I need that stress relief; at least I feel like I do.

I've been catching up on a lot of Netflix, and I'm sure you've all noticed I'm around more on Discord. Still, this is a weird "new normal."

Get on radio - With topics flying about all over the place these days, make your opinion known.
Yes, yes, and yes. Nothing like spending an hour talking to someone about anything you desire!

This is a great article, especially the calls-to-action at the end that tie into the current RL situation we are all struggling with in one way or another. I do think sometimes these articles that reference the state of the region get published a little behind the curve (as they take time to ideate, write etc.). I feel we are in a much better position today than a month ago, for example. Maybe COVID-19 is apart of that? Maybe not, I'm not sure.

Back