[At Home In Europeia] Experiences with the Confirmation Process

An Experience
The Confirmation Process

Written by Xecrio

Joining Europeia in July, and being reasonably new to the region, it's safe to say that I have found myself in a position in which I certainly didn't initially expect to be. Since Europeia is such a well-established region, I expected that when I joined I'd remain on the sidelines, answering issues and occasionally taking part in regional messaging board discussion. It's safe to say that that plan has gone out of the window.

Despite having been on NationStates for over 3 years, I clearly was very unaware of all the regional possibilities. Intrigued, I got involved in various ministries, most notably in the Ministry of Communications, where I have exerted my weekly update abilities. I currently find myself in a position that I hadn't thought I would be in, at least not this early: undergoing the confirmation process for minister of communications.

Plans had been made to appoint me as deputy for the current term, a role which I was more than happy to accept. However, things unfortunately didn't go to plan, and Istillian had to resign, leaving the gates open for another minister. First Minister Calvin Coolidge informed me of this news the following morning and told me that they had nominated me to fulfil the role for the remainder of the term. Initially, I was shocked. I hadn't anticipated the possibility of Istillian resigning and couldn't imagine the department without him. Yet it was a role I was very happy to accept, and after all the help Istillian had given me, I felt it only right to step in.

I had watched the confirmation processes for the initial Cabinet nominees, so I knew more or less what the process would entail. I actually thought the process to be quicker, since the ones I had already viewed seemed to go through fairly quick. I expected mine to follow suit, with questions fired and finally a vote. This wasn't to be however.

The confirmation process is a long one, and as someone who likes to get work done, I was left frustrated by the time it was taking. During the process, I was subject to questioning. Drecq had instructed me to respond to questions already answered by Istillian. I answered and time went by with no appearance of any other questions. Drecq eventually set a deadline for calling the nomination to a vote, but shortly after this, Darcness and Bowzin each asked a question. I was of course happy to oblige, but as mentioned previously, I like to get things done, so much so that I messaged Calvin to ask how long it would take. I have now been confirmed and I am very much looking forward to starting a new chapter start with Europeia.

Very nice, I meant to ask you in your hearing if you also cooked a mean steak but I completely forgot until now.

I think aaaaall the nominees and senators should be given state-funded hearing aids upon entering the Swakistek Conference Hall to make the process a whole TEN TIMES speedier!

So, I do think that the confirmation process has become a bit "rote" and perfunctory over time, especially since we all sort of collectively acknowledge that this (not xecrio specifically, but any) nominee might be the only person that said "yes" to the job out of many.

However, I also look at the confirmation process as a positive for the candidate as well, it gives them (us) a window into what our constituents will expect from us. Are they asking about deputies advancing, asking about side activities, more core activity frequency, more transparency or communication with the region? -- You can sort of gear your term to match what the Senate questions are asking about, what the concerns of the more active members of Euro are.

Wanting to get it over and done with is understandable, I've been there, but there is a communal benefit to the process, I think, even if it seems perfunctory sometimes.

Looking at it from that point of view, it's not so much just a grilling of a person where the confirmation is never in doubt, but more of a regular "check-up" for the ministry and putting the biggest issues and concerns from the populace front and center to the nominee before they enter.

Just some thoughts --

Last edited:
No debate, just a comment. ?

It is a good article, and important too.

One thing I’ve noticed this term in particular is that Senators have just been slow to get their questions in and then acknowledge they are satisfied and can move on. I feel like there have been several threads where Darcness, Rand, or someone pops in right after Drecq is like, “ready to vote” with 4-5 more questions.

I agree with Prim's point, but HEM is also correct. Senators have been slower to get their questions in, definitely.

Back