[Analysis] Senate Mid-term Satisfaction Poll Results and Analysis February 2022

Senate Mid-term Satisfaction Poll Results and Analysis February 2022
Written by Pichtonia

The election of Writinglegend into the vice presidency - and subsequently the election of Pathoal into the senate - marked the mid term for Europeia's 82nd senate. Twenty respondents answered a poll from the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation about their feelings on this term thus far.

Overall Satisfaction - 70%

- Lots of work done
- The Senate has been a bit sloppy this term
- pretty good actually, i was worried it'd be way too pro-Frontier but things have been fine so far
- The referendum discussion made me nervous. Too keen on doing something, anything, at the cost of making the right decisions.
- Senate has been overall getting stuff done.

While lower than the term immediately preceeding it, this term's senate is still receiving good marks for its work, and dissatisfaction remains low at 10%. Indeed, citizens generally seem to approve of the work ethic of this senate, saying that a lot of work has been done. One commenter highlighted that the senate seemed to have a balanced approach to the Frontier/Stronghold update, expressing their satisfaction. The quantity of work alone doesn't seem to satisfy everyone: One commenter warns that the senate has been a bit sloppy, perhaps referring to the vetoed legislation, and another says they are nervous about the senate being overeager.

Individual Senator Satisfaction

Speaker SkyGreen- 95%

- I'm just awesome
- Probably one of the most active and attentive speakers I've. The energy of monkey and the organisational skills of Lloenflys
- Highly active, engaged, and pushing conversations.

Leading our senators in satisfaction ratings is Speaker SkyGreen himself, with a satisfaction rating of 95%, and no dissatisfaction with his work. It's not unusual for the Speaker of the Senate to wield one of the higher satisfaction ratings, but this is a number that is certainly among the highest we have ever recorded. In comments, SkyGreen is lauded for his energetic and organized work, with one commenter saying he has the "energy of monkey and the organisational skills of Lloenflys".

Senator Kuramia - 90%

- Kura's been exceptional

Prior to this term, Kuramia had long avoided returning to senate work. With such polling, they might find that their return was well chosen: 90% satisfaction and only 5% dissatisfaction are a testament to their work this term, with which they climbed to number two of the highest rated senators this term. Summarizing their term, one commenter called Kuramia "exceptional", and they have in fact been one of the most active voices in legislative discussions this term. Kuramia also fielded many questions for the cabinet nominees of President Common-Sense Politics, their own nomination to the cabinet notwithstanding.

Senator Monkey - 85%

- Monkey is very proactive and has brought important things to the Senate to discuss (like the org act amendment)

At the end of last term, when the Europeian Citizen's December 2021 Senate Smokin' Poll asked whether Speaker Monkey deserved to be re-elected, only 50% said yes. This term, Europeians seem to be generally satisfied with the fact that Monkey is bringing discussions to the floor, and are lauding him for being "very proactive". A very good satisfaction rating of 85% could be a reassuring number for Senator Monkey, who only stood late in the last election and notably ruled out any interest in the office of Speaker in his election campaign.

Senator Sopo- 50%

- Sopo did have a bit of an activity bump but he's a seasoned veteran and our resident scapegoat

At the bottom of the field, but still not below 50% satisfaction, sits Senator Sopo. Soon after his election, Senator Sopo started debate on legal education and has taken an active role in it, fulfilling one of his campaign goals, but more broadly it seems that Sopo might find it hard to break through with the high-flyers SkyGreen, Kuramia and Monkey particularly. The region is giving him the benefit of the doubt thus far: with only 5% (very) dissatisfied and 45% feeling neutral about his term, Sopo still has time to turn the tides if he wishes to run again in the election, as he recently alluded to being unsure about in an EBC Radio Fortune Telling.

Senator Writinglegend - 85%

- goodbye :(
- Gleg was good, though I do feel like he'll shine more in the Executive

Writinglegend's term in the senate ended almost exactly at midterm - with his election to the vice presidency - and Europeians are giving him a friendly goodbye: with an 85% satisfaction rating and only 5% (very) dissatisfied, the former Senator might find a bit of a boost for his new endeavours. As Senator, Writinglegend didn't seem to miss a debate, and it seems like the commenters will miss him, though one does note that the Executive might allow him to shine even more.

Senate Issues Approval Ratings

F/S Committee - 30%

Yes: 30%
Neutral: 35%
No: 30%
Don't know: 5%

- We didn't get much new from it.
- I could have told you what they came up with
- It was a gigantic anticlimax and waste of time. Why did we even have it in the first place?
- This effort has produced very little value as of yet.
- The goals were quickly identified and the whole thing was basically a done deal by the election. Obviously there's more to F/S down the road but I think we did what we could so far
- i’m against
- Didn't really gain any insights that we didn't already know. Also felt like it finished prematurely. Also would have liked to see Gleg's idea enacted where interested citizens could present cases.

Executive Oversight - 50%

Yes: 50%
Neutral: 35%
No: 5%
Don't know: 10%

- Maybe we could do more oversight?
- WL did particularly well.

Executive Nominations - 95%

Yes: 95%
Neutral: 5%

- Easy peasy.
- Could've given more scrutiny on support for new cabinet members (particularly Gem), but fine.

Classified Information and Protected Areas Amendment (2022) - 65%

Yes: 65%
Neutral: 20%
Don't know: 10%

- A bit of a bump first time around but we quickly resolved the issue and kept going

World Assembly Act Modernization Amendment (2022) - 65%

Yes: 65%
Neutral: 30%

- I'm really proud that I was able to author an amendment like this. I know most people don't care about this but it was fun

Organisations Act Modernization Amendment (2022) - 70%

Yes: 70%
Neutral: 15%
No: 15%

- Monkey took the charge here more or less, which is fair since he is the most private media savvy Senator. I think we're handling it good
- What’s the point of changing it?
- monkey why

Frontier Act - 50%

Yes: 50%
No: 15%

- We did some minor adjustments but really it's going to be a discussion for terms to come.
- It’s taking them a long time…

FA Committee - 40%

Yes: 40%
No: 25%

- There's more to discuss here especially as we have a new President
- It seemed a bit pointless. We have the EAAC.
- Again, it's unclear what the vision is here.
- Could use more energy, seems to be getting that soon, though.

Frontier/Stronghold Update Amendment Act (2022) - 47.4%

Yes: 47.4%
Neutral: 42.1%
No: 5.3%
Don't know: 5.3%

- Ultimately we did table it, but I'm glad we had this discussion
- Yeah, putting this to the side seems like the best option.

Legal Education - 47.4%

Yes: 47.4%
Neutral: 21.4%
No: 31.6%

- We're getting there :D
- I don't think anything sufficiently new or grounded is being tried here, it'll peter out quickly
- love it

Judicature Act Injunction Amendment (2022) - 70%

Yes: 70%
Neutral: 25%

- Excellent change, fixes a big oversight

Comments on the Senate's work this term:

- There's a lot to handle, but most of our work is preparing for the future atm which is nice, rather than trying to fix a mess or smthin. Legal education will hopefully take off soonerino and I'd consider that the major event for this Senate

In good news for our senators, Europeians largely seem to be satisfied with how their senators have tackled the issues this term. But two hallmarks of this term - the F/S Committee and legal education - are seen rather critically and could be a sign of more trouble brewing. Committees still seem to have a harder standing in Europeia generally, but the F/S Committee specifically is the only issue where a plurality of respondents did not say they were satisfied with the work of our senators. And for the issue of legal education, those who weren't explicitly satisfied weren't just neutral, but more actively dissatisfied. Executive oversight, too, remains a shaky subject for Europeians. While not at the forefront of criticism or debate, at only 50% satisfaction, we might well see a resurgence of the issue in the next election.

Next Term's Senate

Who would you like to see run in the next Senate election?

GraVandius (2)
HEM (2)
Lloenflys (2)
Darcness
Darkslayer
Deepest House
Drecq
Gem
GrandfatherClock
ICH
Kazaman
Klatonia
Pland Adanna
Prim
Sarah
Sincluda

Which incumbent Senators should return?

Other than Sopo, who seems to have some ground to make up, Europeians would by majority extend their confidence to its Senators. Not untypically, the rate of respondents wishing them to return is a bit lower than that of respondents who are satisfied with them, but SkyGreen, Kuramia and Monkey would still come into the next election with a big boost. Sopo lags a bit behind at 42.1%, as he did with his satisfaction rating, but the good news for him will be that those who were satisfied with his work also largely seem to solidly stand behind a re-election bid. It will be those feeling neutral about him that he has to convince now.

Preferred Senate size

- As the Senate takes on more responsibility (EIA committee, FA committee, legal education) additional senators would be beneficial. Usually 5 is enough but 7 could be helpful to see how we're adapting
- 5 is actually really good.
- We seem to be able to field a slightly larger Senate based on current activity.

While a majority of Europeians seems to tend towards a bigger Senate, seven seats are favoured by 50% of respondents, it does seem like that would pretty much be the level of tolerance for most Europeians. 25% would like the Senate to retain its current size of five seats, 10% would like to see it increased to six seats. Another 10% are currently unsure and only 5% would like to see a Senate bigger than seven seats (eight seats). If those were to still capture the regional mood by the time that the election comes around, its eight seats would make it the largest Senate since the 73rd with 9 Senators - almost two years ago.

Last edited:
Congrats to the Senate for solid numbers this term. From what I have seen it is well deserved as the Senate has been active and things have run pretty well!

This is pretty interesting! When was the last time we had a Senate with such high numbers across the board (except for Sopo who the region seems to hate)?

Back