Administration statement regarding reported satire article

HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
It has come to the attention of the administrative team that a satire article posted by the E-News Network, from April 23rd, 2016 has been deemed by some to be offensive content.

The administrative team at s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia take very seriously the obligation of balancing freedom of speech — including satirical content — with creating a respectful, tolerant, and ToS-abiding community.

In doing that, it is incredibly important — for us — to be direct and transparent about what content is permitted on s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia, and what content is not. To that end, we have removed the post from public view as we deliberate on the content of the post, and also on whether additional content guidelines need to be issued as to make clear what is permissible, and what is not.

We move the post out of an abundance of caution to ensure that what we define as hateful or abusive content does not exist while we investigate this matter.

Any additional questions on this matter may be directed to me, Chief Administrator.

Well, as long as we're being reasonable about this, removing some distasteful content from the forum shouldn't be a huge issue. Hopefully this gets dealt with in a respectable manner. Godspeed, admins. :D

Shit, next you guys will have to quarantine me for questionable content. :p

''Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.''

- Matthew 5:38-39 (KJV)

Update:

After review and discussion by the administrative team, we have decided that the contents of the post did not meet the standards of the forum at s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia and hence, the topic will not be returning to public view. In response to this matter, a few things will be taking place:

(1) We want to empower the moderators of our forum to take ownership of the areas that they moderate. Your moderation role is not merely for unpinning and pinning posts — it also gives you a responsibility to aid us in content moderation. If you see a post that doesn't seem up to our standards, please inform an administrator to report it.

(2) We want to empower members to use the "Report" feature. The report feature is how this particular post came to our attention, but it was long after it's initial appearance. Please recognize that there is a difference between Europeian law and moderation policy on the forum. As owner, I have tried to keep as much authority as possible with the roleplay government, but matters of harassment and obscenity should be brought to the attention of the administrators before they are brought before roleplay court — even when roleplay statutes exist.

(3) In order for this all to be effective, we need to draw up a Content Guidelines that clearly lays our what we will, or will not, tolerate on s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia. The Terms of Use are a great starting point, but in many areas they lack clarity and specificity. While the administrative team has discussed what these guidelines might look like, it is not a process we want to rush. That being said, I am hoping to have them in place by September 15th.

(4) This is sorta a repeat of (2), but it is absolutely vital for our members to remember the role of the administrative team. Any serious complaints or concerns about forum content should be brought to the administrative team — and whenever possible, directly to me as Board Owner.

(5) An email address has been set-up at Europeia.Moderation@gmail.com. This email can be used to contact the administrative team off-forum for any serious concerns. This email allows people who may not be citizens, or have viewing privileges on our forum to have ease of contact. We will find an appropriate way to advertise this address ASAP.

(6) Finally, I am currently investigating the need to appoint a Global Admin for Content Moderation. This position would be a global admin level point-person who would serve as an extra set of eyes to make sure content is up to our standards. Before hiring for such a position, however, I want to have our Content Guidelines in place and see if there are any concerns that lead me to believe such a post would be helpful.

Please, as always, let me know if you have questions or concerns.

HEM
Board Owner
Europeia.Moderation@gmail.com

If it's the article I think it is, it's still fully visible after ENN got dragged out of the archives. Just thought you should know.

You must be thinking of a different article. We have the offending one locked away where no one can see it.

Malashaan said:
You must be thinking of a different article. We have the offending one locked away where no one can see it.
Alright. The entire time I thought HEM was talking about the Cormac article in this topic, but it appears I was mistaken. Thank you for clearing that up.

There was another Cormac article. You may not have seen it. It didn't get much attention until 4 months after publication.

Back