A Taste of Skizz #22

Apollo is catching hell for some comments he made in this thread in the Grand Hall. I certainly understand why Apollo’s remarks have upset people, but some context is needed.

Apollo was a spectacular Grand Admiral last term, building the Navy's strength to levels not seen recently, if ever. He worked his ass off – even in my all-star Cabinet, Apollo’s work ethic was surpassed by no one, and equaled only by Vinage and Lethen. A lot of Apollo’s work was scouting, back-channel discussions with his counterparts in other regions, and other low-profile stuff that wasn’t widely recognized by the region at the time. Worse, Apollo had to deal with intense private (and sometimes public) criticism of his actions, to a degree I have never seen before with a senior executive branch official who was as successful as Apollo was.

When Apollo ran for President, the public criticism increased by several orders of magnitude. I was surprised by the ferocity of some of it, and some of the critics later admitted that their initial criticisms were unfair or overstated. Apollo’s initial defensive reaction to those criticisms, however, damaged him politically. I suggested at the time that it might cost Apollo the election. In the end, it was a close race where three switched votes would have changed the outcome, so it’s quite possible I was right.

After his defeat, Apollo swallowed his pride and accepted the post of Interior Minister. There, he sustained our phenomenal early recruiting results in the wake of the script ban, even as the star-studded team Rachel had assembled to do that task began to fade away due to non-interest. Unfortunately, Apollo’s heart evidently wasn’t in the job like it was when he was Grand Admiral. To his credit, Apollo stepped down swiftly, rather than lapsing into inactivity as so many disillusioned Cabinet ministers do.

Successful recruitment efforts are always led by a small core of hard workers; in the absence of such a core, it’s no surprise that our nation count plummeted following Apollo’s departure. As usual, there was a surfeit of finger-pointers willing to fix blame for the problem, and a shortage of hard workers willing to roll up their sleeves and fix it. When Apollo saw a lot of fingers pointing at him, he finally snapped – or, at least, that’s what seems to have happened.

Apollo is the latest in a long line of successful but thin-skinned Europeian leaders. NES and I are perhaps the most obvious examples, although I like to think both of us have managed to put aside our respective egos for the region’s sake when we have assumed the mantle of leadership. Rachel and Sopo are similar, but have had more mixed success in taming their harsher sides – not least because they, like Apollo. have faced nastier and more personal attacks than either NES or I did. Both Rachel and Sopo would benefit from a greater reservoir of forbearance. So, too, would Apollo.

Indeed, whether Apollo becomes a great leader in this game (either here or elsewhere) will turn in large part on whether he develops the ability to let attacks -- including unfair ones -- roll off his back. Even without that ability, however, he has been a tremendous contributor to Europeia in his time here. I hope his contributions here resume once his bitterness subsides.

Obviously, I expect people who have been the target of Apollo’s wrath to hit back, but everyone else needs to take a deep breath. If you feel a need to make a public record of your disagreement with him, go ahead, but keep in mind that you’re talking about someone who has done a boatload of good for this region. That’s more than most of us can claim.

Well-written, Skizzy. This seems to be an accurate portrayal of the events that transpired here. I too am sad to see Apollo depart, even though I've had my quarrels with him in the past. He was, by all accounts, one of the best recruiters in Europeian history-that much is known not just throughout the region, but the NS world as a whole. I can't speak to his time in the Navy, but if he showed anywhere near the same amount of fervor and tenacity as he did as Minister of Interior, I'm sure the results there were just as staggering.

It's sad to see such a honored and (formerly?) well-respected individual depart or reduce his impact on such terms as have transpired. I'll be the first to wish Apollo good luck with his future endeavors. I'm sure that his drive will serve him and whatever region he focuses on in the future well.

Well-written, Skizzy. This seems to be an accurate portrayal of the events that transpired here. I too am sad to see Apollo depart, even though I've had my quarrels with him in the past. He was, by all accounts, one of the best recruiters in Europeian history-that much is known not just throughout the region, but the NS world as a whole. I can't speak to his time in the Navy, but if he showed anywhere near the same amount of fervor and tenacity as he did as Minister of Interior, I'm sure the results there were just as staggering.

It's sad to see such a honored and (formerly?) well-respected individual depart or reduce his impact on such terms as have transpired. I'll be the first to wish Apollo good luck with his future endeavors. I'm sure that his drive will serve him and whatever region he focuses on in the future well.
Top Ten Europeian Recruiters

1. Asperta (19,951)
2. Pope Lexus X (12,681)
3. Lethen (11,873)
4. Asianatic (11,548)
5. Rachel Anumia (9,555)
6. Common-Sense Politics (8,899)
7. Carracalla (8,028)
8. Earth22 (7,550)
9. Indycar Racing (7,410)
10. karthikking (7,153)

Unknown rank. Apollo (5069)

He is a very good recruiter and the top one recently but one of the best is certainly debatable :p

He is a very good recruiter and the top one recently but one of the best is certainly debatable  :p
Him being the top recently is debatable. Me and him were pretty much splitting the workload evenly.

Skizzy something you need to understand about Apollo, he said to me that Europeia got boring to him and that he was finished here. The last time he was finished with a region, he stuck around to cause trouble and split the region. The guy is trying to cause a divide in the region, and I don't really trust any statements he makes which shows contrary because he isn't stupid. His, "boatload of good" doesn't mean shit now.

Yiesh, just give the man the credit he deserves. The need to constantly qualify everything is probably one of the reasons people can find us all a bit grating. This is one of those cases where it's best just to let it go.

Skizzy something you need to understand about Apollo, he said to me that Europeia got boring to him and that he was finished here.
That is not what I said. I said "I've been a bit bored in Europeia recently, it was time for me to try something new." Not that I was finished here.

Thanks for the article, Skizzy. But you've given me too much credit.

Interesting article, Skizzy. While I've been irked by a few things Apollo has said or done the past few terms - my perceptions of unfair attacks on Sopo, myself, etc. warranted or not - even I'm over all of this crap lately.

I certainly think there was a need for a balancing article in relation to Apollo, because some recent criticisms have been rather extreme. And this is an excellent article with which I thoroughly agree.

Apollo has contributed a lot to Europeia, and he did do an excellent job running the Navy during his tenure as Grand Admiral. He is a competent military leader - not by some sort of magic, but due to the time he spent training with TBR, which I believe he was advised to do by Rachel. Also a lot of the initiatives that were successful during the term were actually Rachel's from the term before, so I think Skizzy is perhaps overly praising of Apollo and underappreciate of Rachel in this regard.

But I'd also counter-balance the belitting of Apollo's recruitment contributions by Rachel by saying the "unranked" contribution of 5000 telegrams was very significant. That's a large number, around half of Rachel or Asianatics contribution, both hailed as great recruiters. And done in a much shorter time frame, so I would argue that does make him one of the best recruiters.

I appreciate that Apollo can be annoying sometimes, and his ambition can cloud his vision in relation to appropriate behaviour. I witnessed this when I was President. But, that is just his character, and some people are like that. It's good to have some quiet people who just get on with the job, but I'm afraid Europeia needs both types, and we should certainly not celebrate his leaving as he was a significant contributer. He may well have made a very good President. I think he has huge amounts of potential, a lot of which will be unleashed with increased patience. I know he has improved a lot since he first came here, but there is clearly a way to go.

Sometimes things are just not meant to be. I remember a rash politician in GB&I several years back whom I favoured and tried my best to cultivate because I saw his potential, eventually left the region and ended up contributing elsewhere. His name was Lethen, and he came here to Europeia, which is one of the key reasons we are one of the top regions today. Apollo has similar potential.

At the end of the day though, Apollo has not sought to harm Europeia. And he has done a great deal of good. So I strongly agree with Skizzy that some of the negative things said about him are inappropriate. It's not a case of good riddance, but a case of you are welcome back in the future and we wish you well in the mean time. And I hope Europeia will be able to work with Ainur in the future.

Apollo has contributed a lot to Europeia, and he did do an excellent job running the Navy during his tenure as Grand Admiral. He is a competent military leader - not by some sort of magic, but due to the time he spent training with TBR, which I believe he was advised to do by Rachel. Also a lot of the initiatives that were successful during the term were actually Rachel's from the term before, so I think Skizzy is perhaps overly praising of Apollo and underappreciate of Rachel in this regard.

That's totally fair.

Rachel knows I think the world of her, notwithstanding the occasional pointed disagreement between us. I figured the rest of the region knew that too, but perhaps that's assuming too much.

Back