A Shift in the CSO

A Shift in the CSO
A small history of the CSO and an idea for its future
Written by JayDee

When looking through the archives, one of the most consistent themes of the presidential election is how we are supposed to improve our Civil Service Officium (CSO). Every 70 days, a new idea comes forth on how to fix this issue, and more often than not it either makes it worse, or does nothing for the issue at all. It has become a constant cycle of problems that changes with each supposed solution.

When I first joined, the problem was the application process. Newcomers had to apply to each individual ministry page and answer a few questions in order to get into the Ministry. Eventually the problem became highlighted that doing such was intimidating and tedious for newcomers and just took too long for old timers. To resolve it, the idea was introduced to centralize the application process, which is what we have today.

Now a new problem has arisen, many assistant ministers (AMs) find themselves out of their depth in a ministry that they don’t understand and ministers find themselves unable to employ able bodied workers because they don’t know enough about each individual person.

With all the problems that it has caused, why do we have the CSO in the first place? Our founder, HEM, came from an allied region of the Land of Kings and Emperors (LKE), a region known as Great Britain & Ireland. Naturally, much of Europeia’s early history and decisions were influenced by LKE, including the creation of junior ministers(JM). Similar to what is today known as assistant ministers, junior ministers were volunteer based positions. The difference is that junior ministers were chosen by the ministers themselves to serve under them in a specific area. Similar to a real job, there were only spaces available if the Ministers opened up a space. Multiple people would begin applying for one single spot, and typically it became a game of favorites to see who would earn the spot as JM. While not always commonplace, there were some who would give heavy priority to people in their own political party over others. Naturally, this caused larger gaps in the skills and abilities of Europeians. Some players got better while others stagnated.

After nearly two years with this system, HEM finally came out with a new idea, the Civil Service Act. ”This was just too complex, and never worked,” HEM remarked about the junior minister system in a Grand Hall speech prior to the proposal. Now, JMs could sign up to the Civil Service, and someone would go through the process of finding an appropriate fit for the new JM. While an improvement, this didn’t solve everything. For a while it worked, but with the boom in population, the CSO didn’t have time to interview every individual assistant minister to put them in the right spot.

Despite its flaws, the CSO has contributed tremendously to the growth of Europeia. Presidents now have a pool of able bodied AMs to select from to fulfill a ministerial post when they ascend to the Goldenblock. On the player side, they are able to build up experience in areas that they care about. Contributing to the region at a pace that they prefer in a friendly environment.

It’s obvious the CSO is in need of further development, even after all these years. Newly elected President, Calvin Coolidge, proposed another shift in the CSO program, introducing a point system throughout the Civil Services to reward members for their contributions. Stating in his platform “the activity will be converted into a point system, a la Harry Potter...for those being rewarded, the CSO will award ranks to workers weekly based on their progress.”

Using a points system would be similar to what the Ministry of Interior already has with its Harry Potter roleplay program, from which the idea is derived. However, I believe this could lead to even bigger changes, including a complete reform of the CSO as we know it today. This could include refounding the CSO into a new system that gives greater access to AMs and encourages greater collaboration across the ministries.

In this new system, a citizen no longer has to apply for each ministry that they would like to participate in. Like the Citizens’ Assembly, a citizen is automatically a part of every ministry upon becoming a citizen. What does that mean for the ministries? It means more eyeballs on discussion in each area, more people to critique ideas that are presented and contribute to said idea. A larger pool of members to choose from in each ministry. One of the greatest problems is that each ministry is treated as its own entirely separate entity, there is little to no push for collaboration amongst the ministries. This can be almost entirely eliminated with the new system. Assistant ministers can carry over ideas from one ministry to the next without fear of repercussion. Ministers themselves can openly expend resources on projects started in other ministries that they may believe affects their ministry. Now projects can be worked on by multiple ministries at the same time without having to worry about keeping discussion secret.

The first issue that most might ask is how are we supposed to keep these ideas a secret in order to surprise people outside the ministry? Well, we have no need to keep these projects a secret once they’re introduced by the minister. Perhaps at the very beginning stage when it’s just a discussion between ministers, but once the idea is introduced, it’s pointless to keep it secret. Ideas like the Harry Potter roleplay gained nothing by being kept secret, if anything, it lost something. With less people able to see the product in its planning stage, there is a high possibility that something could have been missed, an unspoken idea that couldn’t be acted upon.

Where this could create the biggest problem is more than likely the Communications ministry, where ministers prefer to keep proposed articles hidden from public viewing until it’s published. That’s where keeping information slightly hidden from public eye is preferred. Instead, we will continue to use the idea recently utilized by Communications Minister Deepest House. A forum will be created solely for the introduction of articles. Only the Ministers, Deputy Ministers, and author will be able to hold access to this forum. The author only holding it for a temporary amount of time, until their article is published.

Whether or not this idea becomes a reality, I think it's time we got a discussion going amongst the citizenry in where we want to go with the CSO and what the possibilities lie ahead with it.

JayDee said:
Mousebumples said:
On my phone but 100% agree with SD that it's up to the president and cabinet to make inter-ministry collaboration a priority. AMs should not be driving policy - the executive should.
I'm aware, but that doesn't mean AMs can't try to come up with their own ideas. I knew when I wrote this that it wouldn't be my right to drive policy, I wrote this to (hopefully) get the general populace to care about the CSO rather than expecting every administration to fix all our problems.
If this is something that matters to you, ask about that in platforms. "Candidate, how will you have your Ministers collaborate to accomplish your goals in the coming term?"

When I was elected President, I had plans for collaboration. The details would require me to revisit my platform, but absolutely, we should be expecting the administration to fix this sort of thing, if this is viewed as a concern.

While I agree that the CSO is in ruins, I don't agree to this solution. I have personally suffered from the bureaucratic process, and to this day, my Assistant Ministry post has even been unanswered. I think this points to the failure of new citizen integration. Even if hardworking nations are willing to participate and follow the advice given to them, it seems nothing changes. For example, I have contacted multiple nations regarding gaining a AM position, and not only have I not gained a position, but I have not even been responded to by a government member in the region...not once. Because of this, I have tried to make a name for myself through self education: using the educational resources, learning our region's history, trying to understand the WA lessons made by Mousebumples, and even highlighting concerns I've had to the top WA Delegate candidates. But no matter what I do, it seems difficult--almost impossible--to get the experience needed to have an important position in this government.

And while I'm unsure if this frustration is applicable to every new nation, it certainly appears so. I predict that this will result in these two things: a separation of ignorance, or a decrease in region population. Both are serious problems that will threaten this region's legacy.
  • First, this rift between newer and older nations is making a group of dawdling, dissatisfied, new nations. Many are leaving the region because of their anger. One way this clearly shows is how RGBN was formed basically on the RMB. At first it started as a post-nuclear war (April Fools) alliance, but soon transformed into something much more serious. It was created and headed by the rebel and notorious spammer Shenifar. With growing tension between RMB and the assigned moderators like Lethen, Shenifar was banjected. He created a successful region with over 100 nations, many of whom are former Europeian nations. His region exploits the frustration experienced by newer members, who feel as if their government and region is too large bureaucratic to care about their needs. While many have simply ignored and even forgotten about this, I feel it must be seen as a bad omen. It is one which shows how easy it is to lose nations, nations which ensure our region’s large size and power.
  • Second, a rift has appeared between newer nations and older one, a rift of knowledge and expertise. And while this is a relatively insignificant problem now, it seems projected to be a much bigger one in the future. This rift is growing larger and becoming more evident as time progresses. You too can see the effects: look at how Comrade Snowball, void of any expertise or experience, tied or surpassed the votes of distinguished members like Celtian. It is certainly reasonable that the votes that were given came from nations so ignorant, they casted votes based off of an interesting name. If this continues, the ignorance of uneducated nations could lead to election of incapable nations who would lead this region to ruin, even by accident.
JayDee, I truly appreciate your concern for this. But your solution will not solve this problem. The Assistant Ministry’s prestige will plummet even further after it is given to all. It will create rift between newer and older members even wider than it is now. This is because AM is one of the only hopes of nations of gathering enough experience for bigger positions. The point of the AM is to help hardworking regions get positions which prepare them for the difficult job of maintaining our government. Lowering the requirement bar won’t solve this problem, but only make the position as unremarkable as a Citizen Assembly position. Thrusting a new nation into a position won’t make them better. A reinvigorated education system that’s interactive with citizens will. A new series of legislation can help with this process.

We need an entire integration overhaul, one which the government prioritizes. The current system cannot support the needs of our region. While this region may be powerhouse of influence, culture, and intelligence now, there no guarantee that this will last forever. Europeia needs to prepare for the future, before it is too late to do so.

JayDee, I truly appreciate your concern for this. But your solution will not solve this problem. The Assistant Ministry’s prestige will plummet even further after it is given to all. It will create rift between newer and older members even wider than it is now. This is because AM is one of the only hopes of nations of gathering enough experience for bigger positions. The point of the AM is to help hardworking regions get positions which prepare them for the difficult job of maintaining our government. Lowering the requirement bar won’t solve this problem, but only make the position as unremarkable as a Citizen Assembly position. Thrusting a new nation into a position won’t make them better. A reinvigorated education system that’s interactive with citizens will. A new series of legislation can help with this process.
What prestige is there in an AM position? Anyone can apply and be accepted while still doing nothing to help out. Many regions who end up applying disappear almost instantly anyway. The gap between newer and older players wouldn't be impacted if everyone was an AM. People who want to do work and move higher in the region will do this regardless of if they need to apply to be an AM or not. This is a game where people volunteer their time to do things, so if you are willing to volunteer, there will be something for you to do to prove you are ready to take on bigger positions. The prestige of a position should not matter when it comes to deciding if you will do work or not.

While I don't know what legislation has to do with this issue as it is much more an executive issue rather than an issue with legislation, I do agree a more interactive education system would be more effective when improving integration efforts. I think part of your thoughts come from your experience on the RMB, and while there are likely things we can do better when trying to get nations from the RMB to the forums, I don't think the RMB is impacted by what happens on the forums aside from plans to reach out to the RMB. Also on your thoughts about the lack of knowledge and expertise from newer members, this is to be expected. Older members should know more because they have been around longer.

Note to any readers: Le Libertia's comment as well as discussion afterwards can also be found here in the Grand Hall.

Back