⛄ I'm walking in the air ... ❄
Forum Administrator
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
they/she
4000 Words Header.png

2020 Europeian of the Year Nomination: the Inimitable Monkey

“Day by day, week by week, month by month, we must demand not just persistence but improvement. That must be the resolution, nay, the promise we must make to ourselves in this new year.” ~ HEM, The Promise of 2020

When then-Chief of State HEM spurred Europeia into 2020 with these words, none of us were expecting what lay around the corner. But despite all the curveballs the last twelve months threw at us, there is no-one who has exemplified the spirit of HEM's call to action with as much vigour – as much irrepressible forwards drive – as Monkey.

Monkey is a true Europeian polymath, a Jack-of-all-trades (and a master of a good many). He originally joined the region in 2017, but burst back onto the scene in April last year after a period of inactivity. Two months later, he was minister of culture and second minister, serving with First Minister McEntire for the last term of the Executive Split era and as vice president to Sopo for the return of the presidency.

Foreign Affairs, Domestic Affairs, independent journalism, legislative ideas and debate, fruit appreciation – Monkey has it all. Sheer tenacity in combination with never-ending creativity make him a prime innovator, devising anything from the P.A.R.T.Y. Ministry of Foreign Affairs initiative while a deputy minister, to educational resources for the diligent writers of the Ministry of Communications. With an impressive resume for 2020 (second minister and minister of culture, vice president, minister of interior, and minister of foreign affairs), he acted as a leading force in the transition back to the unified Executive system after also playing an extremely active role in the reform discussions, whether in the Grand Hall or through his journalism. Over his time in Cabinet, he brought us innovative Republic Day celebrations, arising from a wider discussion about improving the way we run festivals, a new recruitment competition involving the Navy in the final prize, and acted as the ultimate vice president, relentlessly driving activity anywhere and everywhere. His private media outlet Monkey’s Musings, which started out with a simple “word of the week” project, has been regularly putting out timely and high-quality polling and election coverage, and brings something thoughtful and insightful to the table in every edition.

Nor is it all talk with Monkey. He is a politician with the sometimes rare quality of an eagerness to take initiative, to take responsibility for transforming his rhetoric into action and results. He engages actively with newcomer threads, ever present with helpful links; he makes it his business to hold our leaders accountable; he brings his ebullient energy to every cultural event or regional celebration.

Most of all, Monkey pushes aspiring and established leaders alike to produce their best. No platform is not thoroughly examined with Monkey around; no radio interview goes without a barrage of audience questions with him in Mixlr chat. Monkey is the person who starts the Grand Hall thread with the next debate that grips Europeia, who constantly pushes for productive and constructive discussion, who plants the seedling that becomes a new Senate bill. He questions everything, taking nothing as given – and whenever anyone inhabits that mindset, we inevitably grow as a region. His driving motivation clearly lies wholeheartedly with the improvement and furtherment of Europeia, which is evident by one look at the way he determinedly draws opinions and rationale out of those he is debating with in a given situation, whether he agrees with them or, particularly, if he doesn’t.

We might not yet be ready for his memes, but there is no doubt that once we cut past all the monkey business, we can count among our ranks an individual whose incredibly open, selfless approach helped propel us through 2020 and continues to do so into 2021. I can think of no worthier Europeian of the Year awardee for 2020 than the inimitable Monkey.

P.S. Thank you to @Xecrio for allowing me to post this through 4000 Words

This is a worthy tribute of a deserving nominee! Very well-written, Maowi

Maowi!! :eek: It is so unbelievable to me that someone would take the time to write a WHOLE ARTICLE about me, of all people! I am extremely humbled and honoured that you took the time to write this! Your kind words are very much appreciated :)

Monkey is awesome! I think I started to really strongly appreciate him when he was Vice President, where I think he did an admirable job and showed a lot of curiosity in just learning and being even better, but monkey has pretty much done a great job in every office he touched.

The "inimitable" is really interesting description, but it's true: Monkey is supremely unique. I wouldn't want to miss him.

Very nicely written, Maowi, and a great nomination!

I am always impressed by Monkey, and I think he's in my Top 2 in terms of nominees who not only deserve but should assuredly win Europeian of the Year. Would I be too wild in saying Writinglegend is a good comparison for Monkey?

Back