14 Case Studies: L1 English Phonological Variation Among Europeians

There was something exciting about GC pausing after you said a word, and then going "Say that again please" and you suddenly felt like you were in the principal's office!
I feel like if I got audibly super excited about something it wouldn't be impartial though! I did feel very weird trying to hide everything and just asking people to repeat things.

I don't remember what led to me suggesting this mini-project, but I love this! I am going to re-read it more in-depth later to see if my brain can wrap it's head around the specifics, but this is so cool. Fun fact for anyone curious: I live in a different county in central New Jersey now, but interestingly, one of the PA counties that is included in my designation borders the county where I lived from 12 years old onward, and it's maybe 20 minutes' drive from my parents' house.

It is very likely, given certain vowel qualities and the phonotypy as a whole, that this idiolect has been extensively influenced by General American English.
100% misread this and thought you were calling the test subject idiotic :p

I am late to this but as a test subject I will relay my thoughts and feelings below:

I am mightily impressed with this. I had no idea that this is what would come out of me saying words in a monotone voice to gc in a VC. A lot of work has gone into this.

As for my own result I think gc has done a very good job of getting it right.

I forgot to say at the idea what an amazing piece of work this is. Really fascinating to read, and it's how much work has been put into it.

This speaker is potentially making a conscious separation between their speaking Scottish English and the Scots vernacular. This would account for more RP influences in the prestige register.
I would definitely say this is true. When I'm back home and in areas where most people speak Doric/Scots I can slip into speaking that with a much stronger accent versus in regular conversation where I'd basically just speak English bar maybe the occasional Scots word and wouldn't have such a stronger accent. I think I also try and lessen my accent when speaking in VC in Euro as well. I still don't think I have a particularly strong accent, but it definitely adjusts and becomes stronger and/or weaker depending on the situation and who I'm speaking with.

Back