Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"ENN Second Minister Debate Liveblog"
HEM
Managing Editor

HEM @ 7:58 PM PST: ok who else is ready for this hot mess

HEM @ 8:09 PST: Honestly I think Cuddles is coming off better // particularly sincere and authentic in a voice debate than he did in a text debate.

HEM @ 8:10 PST: Sopo had the polished introductory paragraph statement. Interestingly, GraV refers to Xecrio as "Nate" (which many people do) but I can't help but wonder if any voters will be confused about who he is.

HEM @ 8:13 PST: Interestingly that when he gives examples of past work, Sopo references his time as Vice President and not his time as Second Minister previously -- a term where he was particularly weak.

HEM @ 8:14 PST: Honestly, both Sopo and GraV have been weak Second Ministers in the past. If he was cutthroat, this is something Cuddles could exploit.

HEM @ 8:15 PST: I do think the Cookie/Cuddles ticket is a more endemic fit than the Cuddles/Bowzin ticket. If there wasn't already two newcomer candidates in the race, it might be easier for them to find a place in this race.

HEM @ 8:17 PST: Cuddles: "The Second Minister should support the First Minister to the end. The very end"

How ominous...

HEM @ 8:19 PST: GraV: "I don't expect disagreements with the First Minister to be a problem."

How often do partners in government expect disagreements to become a problem?

HEM @ 8:23 PST: Unfortunately, the candidates so far have taken the safe road and made this question a snoozefest. I feel like a more concrete example of "First Minister did x, how would you deal with it" would've been better.

HEM @ 8:24 PST: Cuddles: "If my First Minister disagreed with me even after I talked to them, well then....I'm probably wrong" [paraphrased for humor]

HEM @ 8:26 PST: Sopo: "Two years ago (not ten) when I disagreed with her I sabotaged my leader."

HEM @ 8:26 PST: OK, so Sopo was referring to a second op-ed he wrote to take down his leader.

HEM @ 8:27 PST: GraV: "I will give my First Minister a shoulder to cry on" [paraphrased]

HEM @ 8:28 PST: It is interesting here that no Second Ministers are willing to say they'd resign on principle over any issue. I don't think that's true, which shows how solidly the Second Minister candidates have spun this question.

HEM @ 8:30 PST: Okay, so Sopo adds an addendum on dire circumstances.

HEM @ 8:32 PST:

Calvin: "Why are you on the ticket and what can you provide that your First Minister can't."
Sopo: "Let me tell you a funny story about Maowi and I changing positions on the ticket instead of answering this question."
Cuddles: "I have no idea why Cookie picked me."
GraV: "I am a watered-down version of Sopo."

HEM @ 8:38 PST: The feed cut out and all I heard was Cuddles saying "burning passion for each other."

HEM @ 8:40 PST: amazing that GraV managed to kiss up to the moderator and all his fellow candidates at the same time.

HEM @ 8:46 PST: Frankly, Cuddles' answer about learning to be more action-oriented than a showboat is pretty good. He's also getting somewhere with learning about how to manage a department through his own failures in staffing. This is a typical Cuddles rambly answer, but there is good content in here.

HEM @ 8:47 PST: GraV: "This question is really hard to answer because I quite frankly I have so many failures" [paraphrased]

HEM @ 8:48 PST: wow Sopo knows I'm thirsty for a Pope Lexus X quote

HEM @ 8:50 PST: Cuddles coming in with the second inter-candidate question: "Do you want more failure?"

GraV says yes, Sopo says not really but he'll deal with it when it comes.

HEM @ 8:51 PST: "I have kinda a weird question." — Cuddles

HEM @ 8:52 PST: Cuddles question about being excited about failures without growth is indeed weird, but it is worth noting that a lot of things that fail in Europeia don't have an upside (RIP The Regional Service Program).

HEM @ 8:54 PST: GraV: "the only main difference between our platforms is we don't have an original idea (also I haven't read other differences in the platforms)" [paraphrased]

HEM @ 8:57 PST: Okay, I've dragged him a little bit over-proportion so I want to say that I think GraV is really smart and it shows in the debate. I also think he should have the experience to not keep getting caught in the weeds / taking the vague, safe route.

HEM @ 8:59 PST: Sopo and Maowi definitely have the biggest idea with the new Research & Development Ministry.

HEM @ 9:01 PST: Frankly, this contrast from Cuddles on "improving what we have" vs. the shiny new idea could be a fair contrast between his ticket and Maowi. Lots of big ideas have failed in Europeia over the last few years.

HEM @ 9:05 PST: OK this final question is wrapping but it's 9PM and almost my bedtime.

Overall, I think Sopo probably helped his ticket a little bit in this debate. GraV and Cuddles probably did no harm. GraV's performance was probably better than Cuddles', but I also think the expectations of him as the "veteran" on the ticket are probably higher and Cuddles is known to be a more colloquial person. Honestly, I expected a little better from GraV here -- I wonder if he's just a little rusty on the radio platform?

I stand by my belief that Cuddles probably presents better on the radio format than he did in last term's First Minister debate on the text format. His earnest sincerity and personality shine through, though his joke about "burning passionate love" between Sopo and Maowi was kinda off-key, and his questions about failure weren't particularly clear.

HEM @ 9:08 PST: "I don't remember the mentoring program you mentioned" — GraV

phew. At least he wasn't taking the vague route on this one haha.

GraV's arguments got better when he learned on his data, and reiterating the constantly-rebooting nature.

HEM @ 9:13 PST:

Cuddles: "Even if they only stay a few days extra [because of mentor program] at least we know where they stand."
GraV: "But then....they are....gone." [authentic transcript]

Last edited:
1580184302630.png

1580184659364.png

1580184779261.png

1580184887209.png

1580184954641.png

1580185444526.png
1580185716333.png

Last edited:
oh no you don't

It's so late, and I'm super tired -- ?

Sad I'll miss the live blog, I'll try to follow along when listening to the showreel later.

Prim @ 8:10 PM PST: Sopo always sounds so professional -- very concise opening statement, prefacing his future platform statements.

Prim @ 8:10 PM PST: Sopo always sounds so professional -- very concise opening statement, prefacing his future platform statements.
If you want to do this -- Discord DM me your comments and I'll add them in!

HEM @ 8:46 PST: Frankly, Cuddles' answer about learning to be more action-oriented than a showboat is pretty good. He's also getting somewhere with learning about how to manage a department through his own failures in staffing. This is a typical Cuddles rambly answer, but there is good content in here.
why does cuddles rant so much?

Back