Search results

1. Lloenflys

Come Read With Us! The Rise of Europeia's Most Official "Unofficial" Club!

Come Read With Us! The Rise of Europeia's Most Official "Unofficial" Club! Written by Lloenflys Reading is a passion of mine, and has been since I was quite young. As an only child, I didn’t always have someone easily at hand to play with, and my parents were regularly off at work or at...
  2. Lloenflys

SCOTUS OPINION REVIEW: Murray v. UBS Securities (22-660)

In this case, the Court is dealing with whistelblower protections in the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002. These provisions are designed to support employees who come forward to disclose wrongdoing on the part of their employer from retaliatory employment actions (dismissal, reduction in pay...
  3. Lloenflys

SCOTUS OPINION REVIEW: Department of Agriculture Rural Development Rural Housing Service v. Kirtz (22-846)

Most of the attention on the Supreme Court today was on the oral argument in Colorado's effort to keep former President Trump off the ballot due to the insurrection clause. However, SCOTUS took the opportunity of having a public sitting to release two outstanding opinions from arguments hear...
  4. Lloenflys

SCOTUS OPINION REVIEW: Acheson Hotels v. Laufer (22-429)

I am rather behind on my SCOTUS writing, but one has to start digging out of a hole somewhere and it makes sense for me to begin by finally giving a writeup about the first decision in an argued case of the year, issued back on December 5. My thoughts on the oral argument for this case, which...
  5. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Rudisill v. McDonough (22-888) - 11/08/2023

I had intended to write this one up all the way back on Veteran's Day, but ended up not getting the chance to - which is too bad because it would have fit the theme, as this is a Veteran's Benefits case! Congress has long provided a variety of benefits to servicemembers through various...
  6. Lloenflys

SCOTUS UPDATE - 11/21/2023 - Plus a (Very Bad) Bonus!

I'm a day late to posting the most recent SCOTUS update, but I wasn't feeling well yesterday so here we are!! On this edition of the SCOTUS update, we have a couple cert grants, an opinion objecting to the denial of cert in a case, some calendar news, and ... a no good, very bad decision from...
  7. Lloenflys

SCOTUS UPDATE - 11/16/2023 - Florida Gets Stuffed

Back in May, the State of Florida enacted a bill purportedly aiming to "protect children" from ostensibly dangerous "adult live performances" - which of course includes the incredibly dangerous and exotic drag show. Exposing a child to such a performance is actually codified in the law as an...
  8. Lloenflys

SCOTUS UPDATE - 11/13/2023

Hello Gavelheads! We've reached another hearing interregnum on the Supreme Court, with the November sitting concluded and the December sitting kicking off in two weeks on November 27 (as we've discussed before, the calendar is relative when it comes to the Supreme Court!). Of course that...
  9. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: United States v. Rahimi (22-915) - 11/07/2023

If Monday's argument was twisty and a bit hard to focus on, Tuesday's argument was the equivalent of a fast paced Dan Brown novel - easy to read and understand, and very entertaining. While there were certainly complex legal rules and principles at play in this argument, the underlying issue was...
  10. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Dep't of Agriculture Rural Development Rural Housing Service v. Kirtz (22-846) - 11/06/2023

Whoa boy. This one is ... a doozy. A confusing doozy. My brain twisted in knots while I was reading the oral argument so I'm going to do my best to lay this out in a non-confusing way but my apologies if I fail! First, a primer on the subject matter. This is a case about sovereign immunity...
  11. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Vidal v. Elster (22-704) - 11/01/2023

My plan to write up the last 2 arguments of last week ... sort of uh ... failed! But I wanted to get back it so I can finish up those AND the three new ones from this week at some point this week, so here is day 1. I left my notes on the first part of the second First Amendment case from last...
  12. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: O'Connor-Ratcliff v. Garnier (22-324) - 10/31/2023

The Supreme Court heard two arguments on Tuesday, both very closely related First Amendment cases. While both dealt with the intersection of the First Amendment with the modern world of social media, the questions presented differed enough that the cases were not consolidated. Despite this, the...
  13. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Culley v. Marshall (22-585) - 10/30/2023

Welcome to the November Sitting of the Supreme Court! What's that? It's not November you say? Psh, no problem. The Supreme Court doesn't care! We already had an October Sitting, and the majority of the November Sitting is actually IN November, so ... we just call the whole thing the...
  14. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Alexander v. The South Carolina State Conference of the NAACP (22-807) - 10/11/2023

It took me several day to get through the transcript of this case so I could do this writeup not because the basic legal premise is so hard (it's actually relatively straight forward to understand conceptually, while being devilishly difficult to actually apply) but rather because this argument...
  15. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Great Lakes Insurance SE v. Raiders Retreat Realty, Co. (22-500) - 10/10/2023

*** As a reminder, since I can't shoehorn in two transcript reviews in a day most weekdays anymore, this is coming out a day after the argument was held. The argument held on 10/11 will be reviewed on 10/12 *** The second argument of the day on Tuesday, 10/10 was an interesting case involving...
  16. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Murray v. UBS Securities, LLC (22-660) - 10/10/23

The Supreme Court returned for week 2 of its October Sitting today, hearing two arguments in a day for the first time this term (that used to be the norm but at least here in October this is the only day that's happening ... and that's just because the Court was off for yesterday's Federal...
  17. Lloenflys

[At Home in Europeia] A Modest Ornithological Proposal - Volume 6

A Modest Ornithological Proposal - Volume 6 Opinion of Lloenflys A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away a young (!?!) man named Lloenflys bravely carried out ornithological research and bestowed the blessings of his findings upon his fellow citizens in Europeia, that they too may share in...
  18. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Acheson Hotels v. Laufer (22-429) - 10/4/2023

NOTE: I had intended to publish this the evening of 10/4, but literally passed out from sleepiness as I was typing it so ... uh ... it's a little later than planned. Hopefully it is coherent (or at least as coherent as I usually manage), but ... this column comes with no warranties!! It is...
  19. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau v. Community Financial Services Ass'n of America (22-448) - 10/3/2023

After yesterday's term-opening argument put everyone except grammarphiles asleep with its riveting discussion of whether "and" could mean "or," today's SCOTUS case was more lively and much easier to understand ... at least superficially! Just how specific does Congress have to be when it makes...
  20. Lloenflys

ORAL ARGUMENT REVIEW: Pulsifer v. United States (22-340) - 10/2/2023

Imagine you were new to Europeia, and someone sent you a message saying: "The routes to success in Europeia are (1) becoming a master legislator; (2) writing great articles in the EBC; and (3) Recruiting like crazy!". Is the person telling you that you need to do all three of those things to be...
Back