Search results

1. PhDre

[EBC Special Report] Senate Sleeps as People Lead

Very true, I just expect little interest or enthusiasm in the Senate as long as the Constitutional Convention exists. The previous Senate election was pretty unenthusiastic and there are no major issues really campaigned on. I agree that the Senate term has been very sleepy, but imo it makes...
  2. PhDre

[EBC Special Report] Senate Sleeps as People Lead

I feel like two things are the case: 1) The Constitutional Convention is "sapping" energy and interest in participating in the Senate. What are the reasons to engage with reforms if the entire Constitution, and any reforms you push, might be "overwritten" by the Convention? I think the Senate...
  3. PhDre

[Election Radio] Presidential Flash & Opinion Poll Discussion

I thought that the discussion about platforms and expectations with delivering platform outcomes was really interesting. How much do we value high quality platform ideas, and what are expectations for delivering on promises? Do we overemphasize idea pitching and underemphasize following through...
  4. PhDre

[EBC Exclusive] An Ellenburg/Sincluda ticket on the cards?

I think this is historically not accurate. If expectations have changed and we are ok with fluff pieces in the EBC for candidates that is a recent development afaik. And historically at least I think it is fair to say that there are different standards for what is published in the EBC than in a...
  5. PhDre

On one hand, yes in real life (and in real life) private media organizations often publish stories that are calculated leaks by campaigns. On the other hand, these are the least interesting and valuable reporting done by those outlets. It's mostly odd to see it in the EBC, whereas I wouldn't...
  6. PhDre

I had a similar reaction - it's been a long time (I cannot find an example in the last few years) since the EBC broke / floated a non incumbent running for President. What's also odd is that the language here is outdated and seems to have been pre-written given that the ticket stood well after...
  7. PhDre

Senate Election Liveblog February 2024

I look forward to a sixth seat held by a Senator elected by a fraction of Europeians who will have as much power as a consensus candidate Senator. I think it makes a lot of sense for someone who can get 13 of 37 voters to support their campaign to have equal power as someone who has the support...
  8. PhDre

Senate Election Liveblog February 2024

I don't expect high turnout unless there is a competitive final seat that marginal candidates GOTV for - if there is GOTV then expect 55+ votes, otherwise 45-55. Honestly, I'm not sure what motivation there is to be involved with the political process / the Senate. Certainly each vote matters...
  9. PhDre

Admin Task Thread

I was thinking of a private subforum for members of the club, if that is informative.
  10. PhDre

Admin Task Thread

Additionally, should I have access to Manage the Group? I want to be able to mask people to see the private space.
  11. PhDre

[RESULTS] EBC Jan. '24 Poll: Presidential Re-Run, Senate Midterm

I echo that I'm slightly surprised by the results, but as noted in the article RoE is oversampled here relative to in the first round. I think the race is pretty close at the moment and wonder what role McEntire will play (spoiler? runoff-creator?). Another thing to keep an eye on is if McEntire...
  12. PhDre

Admin Task Thread

I cannot see the Private forum
  13. PhDre

Op-Ed: Do we have too many Honoured Citizens?

The issue I see with this is that Ovations are relatively rare but Senates turn over frequently. What one Senate considers the "bar" will not be for other Senates. Additionally, do we think setting some bar in an NBR will discourage nominations? Maybe... But I also think finding a consensus on...
  14. PhDre

Opinion: Ministers Need Freedom

The dirty secret is that (some / many) good Ministers (imo) demand that freedom and push back on the demands that are placed on them for no other reason than "we have to do this because I promised it in my platform." Platforms are more useful as a way to see what Presidential Candidates want to...
  15. PhDre

Breaking: King HEM Refounded

It was good while it lasted
  16. PhDre

EBC Jan. '24 Presidential Election Liveblog

Thank you for your contribution to the blog. If I wanted to edit what I said then I would edit it.
  17. PhDre

Thank you for your contribution to the blog. Please reread:
  18. PhDre

I think JayDee is the favorite, particularly given no one has actually stood yet! 42% is a very healthy place to start from, if you think all of that 42% is going to "stay home" in a second round. Of course I can imagine some incredible candidates who would eat into that base of support, so...
  19. PhDre

Europeian Battlegroup 2024 Update

Since the re-merge (late 2020) there have been five Presidents with current active Aircraft Carriers. In order (latest to most recent): Sopo Pichtonia Calvin Kazaman Writinglegend
  20. PhDre

Op-Ed: Do we have too many Honoured Citizens?

I don't think we need the OSC's involvement tbh. Just less nominations - if that occurs via some end of year huddle among Presidents, sure that works.
Back