Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment Reintroduction Unpopular; Europeians Would Support Second Referendum - GRC Snap Poll Analysis

Gem

Official Executive Otter Advisor
Citizen
Pronouns
they/them

Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment Reintroduction Unpopular; Europeians Would Support Second Referendum
Despite hasty unanimous passage by the Senate, a majority of Europeians disapprove of the move to reintroduce the legislation unchanged following its defeat at referendum. Read about this and more in today's Gem Research Center analysis!
Written by Gem

The Gem Research Center (GRC) conducted a Snap Poll this weekend, asking the Europeian Citizenry about their opinions and satisfaction with a variety of current regional happenings. After remaining open for 52 hours, the poll gathered a rather impressive 32 responses. Today's GRC article is a breakdown and analysis of their replies, and what it means for Europeian affairs.​

Contents

Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment Reintroduction & Hypothetical Referendum Petition Approval
Results indicate that the decision of the Senate to reintroduce the Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment without any modifications following its recent defeat at referendum has sparked controversy among the citizens of our region. A significant majority of 56.3% of responses expressed disapproval of this move, while only 31.3% showed support.

Furthermore, a slight majority of 56.3% of respondents stated that they would endorse another referendum to withhold the people's assent for the Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment in the event it receives presidential approval. This represents a substantial number of 18 separate responses, surpassing the required petition signatures necessary to initiate the referendum process. However, the situation may not be as straightforward as it appears. While these 18 Europeians expressed their support for a hypothetical referendum petition, it is plausible that fewer individuals would actually sign such a petition due to concerns about potential backlash similar to what Sopo faced when presenting the initial referendum petition for the Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment.​

How closely does the Europeian citizenry follow Senate and People's Assembly affairs?
Responses for People's Assembly and Senate visibility show that the vast majority of respondents have paid very close or somewhat close attention to Senate affairs over the course of the current term. This much shouldn't be surprising, as our legislative branch has taken central stage in much of the region's affairs over the past month.

A much lesser majority of citizens reported paying close attention to the People's Assembly, indicating that, although it has made notable strides in garnering regional attention, the People's Assembly may need to explore additional avenues in the future to enhance its visibility and engagement. Though the body has been very successful in gathering regional participation since its revival, it still has a ways to go before it can draw the amount of engagement seen by the Europeian Senate.​

Bar Association Omnibus Act Senate Handling & Referendum Approval
Poll results indicate that approval over the Senate's handling of the Bar Association Omnibus Act is split, with 43.8% or respondents approving and 34.4% disapproving. Additionally, A relatively large 18.8% of responses were neutral, larger than any other question in the poll.

Perhaps more interesting is the extreme posthumous support for the Bar Association Omnibus Act Referendum Proceedings. Despite being relatively controversial at the time of presentation, a whopping 78.1% of respondents agreed that the monumental act was right to go to referendum, with only 2 of the 32 respondents believing that it was wrong to go to referendum.​

(Initial) Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment Senate Handling & Referendum Approval
Interestingly, despite the second presentation of the Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment being unpopular among respondents, the majority of them approved of the Senate's handling of the initial version of the amendment. This observation suggests that the dissatisfaction and disapproval expressed towards the reintroduction of the amendment may not solely stem from those who fundamentally disagree with the content of the amendment, but rather from those who specifically disapprove of its reintroduction.

Also interesting is the commanding majority support for the Justice Term Limit Extension Amendment Referendum Proceedings. As aforementioned, Sopo faced some backlash for presenting the petition to withhold the people's assent for this amendment, but it would seem from these responses that opinions toward the referendum have warmed with time.​

Our last analysis of the day doesn't require much analysis. It appears that the majority of Europeians support the current People's Assembly proposal for changing the time limits for petitions. No other response had more than 50% approval. It should also be noted that two separate respondents wrote in that they'd prefer a 3-day time limit, but it's unlikely that this has substantial broader support.​

Last edited:
I love how you formatted this, Gem. Thanks for the article and polling!

These results were not what I expected !! Great article, Gem.

This is honestly confusing to me. Maybe more people who supported blocking the amendment took the poll than those who favored it... but I am shocked so many people would want another referendum. I certainly do not, given 60% of the region ended up supporting the change.

If anyone opposes the Senate reintroducing the amendment again but voted for it during the referendum, I'd love to hear why.

(I also didn't take the poll as I wasn't really around when it was running.)

Edit: I forgot to say... beautiful write-up and format, Gem!

the PA should really do something to increase its popularity! I also wonder what the census will say about it!

I was surprised that people weren't satisfied with the reintroduction of the Term Limits Amendment, I thought 60% supported it - also surprised about the positive reaction to the referendum

Thanks for this poll and article Gem!

Thanks for putting this together, Gem! If I had to guess, I'd say that the shift against the reintroduction of the bill might stem from ignoring the spirit of the referendum. Even if 60% supported the bill, the referendum did fail to pass with the People's Assent. Ignoring the spirit of a region-wide referendum probably should make people uncomfortable, even if they understand why it's happening, imo.

I will wait 24 hours for any of these mystery opponents to bring forth their petition, then I will sign the bill based on its 60% support in the referendum.

Thanks for putting this together, Gem! If I had to guess, I'd say that the shift against the reintroduction of the bill might stem from ignoring the spirit of the referendum. Even if 60% supported the bill, the referendum did fail to pass with the People's Assent. Ignoring the spirit of a region-wide referendum probably should make people uncomfortable, even if they understand why it's happening, imo.
I mean, I'm not going to lie, the results of this poll were unexpected and make me feel a little icky about rushing the same bill through, but I'm also confused as to what people want.

A supermajority didn't want the single-term limit, 60% did want the three-term limit, now almost 60% would support another referendum? If there was a clear consensus option, I'd be happy to move forward with that. I think that the Senators that re-introduced this term limit extension did so because we thought it was as close to a consensus option as there was.

I get people being uncomfortable with the procedural elements or feeling like we're ignoring the will of the people, but on the substantive matter itself - the number of terms a justice should be limited to - what on earth do people want us to do? Because truly, I just want to avoid the single-term limit, I really think it would be disastrous. Either the polling on this is not representative of the actual opinions of the population, or there is some consensus option that everyone wants but no one is willing to say, or people are being really fickle.

Also, if, as this poll suggests, at least 18 people want a new referendum, it's surprising to me that no petition has even been started.

Either the polling on this is not representative of the actual opinions of the population, or there is some consensus option that everyone wants but no one is willing to say, or people are being really fickle.
Personally, I want a two-term option but I have no idea what the polling/consensus for that is.

I'm going to take more time away because I don't want the brain aneurysm that some seem to be trying to cause me.

A second referendum? Really?!

Back