Sopo

If specified, this will replace the title that dis
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
1680658147681.png
ENN Exclusive: President Rand Popular, Not Invulnerable

From Thursday May 4 through Sunday May 7, for roughly 60 hours, the ENN ran a poll on approval for the Executive Branch alongside some preliminary election polling. We received a healthy 27 responses.

For approval, we used the recent standard scale (strongly approve, approve, neutral, disapprove, strongly disapprove) which I used to calculate the percent of total approval and disapproval. I also used a 1-10 rating (which used to be commonplace in Europeian polling) to calculate the mean (average), median (middle value when listed in order), mode (most common value), and range (highest and lowest values selected). I found that this system gave a more complete view of individual officials’ approval and the intensity behind it.

Executive Approval

Is Europeia on the right track?

Forms response chart. Question title: Is Europeia on the right track?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

88.9% of Europeians are feeling positive about the direction of the region. That’s a good sign for the Rand Administration, which is navigating major changes for the region.

How satisfied are you with the performance of the Executive Branch as a whole?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of the Executive Branch as a whole?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 7.26
Median: 7
Mode: 7
Range: 1-10

The Executive Branch enjoys a 77.7% approval rating and a 14.8% disapproval rating. Responses on the numerical scale ran the gamut but concentrated around 7, showing general but not intense approval. The two comments for the Executive overall were positive, with one commenter summarizing that “everything is great right now.”

How satisfied are you with the performance of President Rand?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of President Rand?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 7.30
Median: 8
Mode: 7, 8
Range: 3-10

President Rand enjoys slightly higher approval than his government as a whole, clocking in at 81.4% with a slightly larger 18.5% disapproval rate - no one choosing the “neutral” option. He received a higher concentration of higher ratings, with his median rating one step higher than the full Executive. Nearly half the region strongly approves of President Rand. Comments were positive, though one commenter expressed concern that Rand may be overly involved in Senate business. Another asks, “What can't this guy do... or what won't he do?”

How satisfied are you with the performance of Vice President Writinglegend?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Vice President Writinglegend?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 6.89
Mode: 7
Range: 4-10

Vice President Writinglegend suffers from typical vice presidential visibility issues, though still receives a strong 70.3% approval rating with only 7.4% disapproving. He did not receive a rating lower than a 4 on the 1-10 scale, the second highest floor in the Cabinet. Unsurprisingly, commenters wonder what he’s been up to, citing potential burnout, but largely assuming that he’s doing important things behind the scenes.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Grand Admiral Forilian?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Grand Admiral Forilian?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 7.81
Mode: 9
Range: 5-10

Forilian is having a moment. With 92.5% approval and no disapproval, he is, by that measure at least, the most popular Cabinet member. He also received no rating lower than a 5, the highest floor, while his most common rating was an impressive 9. Commenters commend ERN activity, though one cites a concern about an abundance of promotions while another wonders if things are a bit disorganized. Overall, though, Forilian should be proud of these numbers.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Outreach (formerly the Interior) Maowi?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Outreach (formerly the Interior) Maowi?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 8.00
Mode: 8

Maowi (and one other popular Cabinet member) sits right below Forilian with an 88.9% approval rating and only 7.4% disapproval. Maui enjoys the second highest mean rating at a round 8, despite receiving a stray 1 from someone who is likely just malding about the name change to the Ministry of Outreach. Comments are positive about Maowi’s work and UPC’s new recruiting bot.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of the Interior Prim?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of the Interior Prim?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 6.67
Range: 3-9

We dip down a bit to find Prim sitting in the middle of the pack at 62.9% approval and yet another 7.4% disapproval, with a large number remaining neutral. His numerical rankings cover the middle of the spectrum, though the most common rating was an 8. He was the only Cabinet member not to receive at least one 10. Commenters are positive about his work gameside, though one commenter says he is not visible enough - it could be that the folks seeing his work most are on the RMB and not the people taking this poll.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Communications Pland Adanna?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Communications Pland Adanna?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 8.04
Median: 9
Mode: 10
Range: 2-10

Pland Adanna joins Maowi in the 88.9% approval club, having the exact same distribution between strongly approve and standard approve. He does, however, have a lower disapproval rating at just 3.7%. PA is the only Cabinet member to receive 10 as his most common rating, demonstrating a high level of intensity among his supporters - 10 out of 27 respondents gave him a 10! He also has the highest mean overall, only 0.04 higher than Maowi’s. Commenters highlight the EBC’s activity as “fire” and “even better than PhDre,” though one commenter says that Sopo deserves a full ministership (it’s not me, I promise).

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of World Assembly Affairs PaleLand?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of World Assembly Affairs PaleLand?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 6.48
Mode: 5, 7, 8

First-time minister PaleLand sits at a 59.2% approval rating with 11.1% disapproving and a sizable 29.6% neutral, the same as Prim. Has ratings are across the board but concentrated in the middle, with 5, 7, and 8 having the most respondents. Comments are generally positive, though one commenter expresses that they aren’t sure how to feel about the lack of discussion threads, and another worries that the ministry is stagnating with late IFVs and few resolutions coming from Heroes of Valhalla aside from West’s. PA recently received oversight from Senator UPC for simultaneously holding two WA nations, which may also play into some of the lower ratings.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Foreign Affairs PhDre?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Foreign Affairs PhDre?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 7.30
Mode: 7, 8

Minister DrPhe holds down a 74% approval rating and 7.4% disapproval, falling near the middle of the pack. He receives nearly identical ratings to President Rand, also slightly outperforming the Executive as a whole. The two commenters who mention it are split on the new Treaty of Styx with Lazarus, with another celebrating PhDre’s role in Injunct The Communist Bloc. A final commenter appreciates his work but hopes for more updates in the next half term.

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Culture Hezekon?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister of Culture Hezekon?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 7.63
Range: 2-10

Minister Hezecon, now in his second consecutive Culture term, received positive reviews overall with an 81.5% approval rate. Over half the region strongly approves of Hez’s performance, with only 3.7% disapproval. 8 was the most common ranking. Comments showed some concern over a lackluster recent event with The League and Concord, with another encouraging the minister to “pay more attention and take charge more often.” One commenter simply calls him “magnificent.”

How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister without Portfolio Vor?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Minister without Portfolio Vor?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 5.74
Median: 6
Mode: 5

Thankfully for Vor, the Attorney General exists to get the lowest approval rating, sparing him the bottom spot. Our erstwhile Minister without Vortfolio receives 51.8% approval and 14.8% disapproval, while 33.3% remain neutral - the second-highest share of neutrals.Thankfully for Darc, Vor does have the lowest average rating and the lowest most-common rating, a 5. Vor also received the most comments - 8 - and almost all of them wonder what exactly he does. One, though, says he is more active and visible than the vice president, while another shouts “VOR IS THE BEST YAAAAAAAA.” These ratings are the results of an intentionally nebulous position in the Cabinet - even harder to judge than the VP. But maybe not harder than the AG!

How satisfied are you with the performance of Attorney General Darcness?

Forms response chart. Question title: How satisfied are you with the performance of Attorney General Darcness?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Mean: 6.04
Median: 6
Mode: 6

Attorney General Darcness sits at the bottom of the pile with 48.1% approval, the only Cabinet member who failed to crack 50%. His 11.1% disapproval is dwarfed by a massive 40.7% of respondents who are neutral. I debated not even including Darcness in the poll given the AG’s lack of visible responsibilities, but it seemed unfair to deprive him of the fun. Plus, he did get two 10s, so a couple people out there love you, Darc. One commenter simply says “sure,” and I think that pretty much summarizes trying to poll on the AG.

The Next (and Last) Election

If the last election were held again today, who would you vote for?

Forms response chart. Question title: If the last election were held again today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

70.4% of voters would stick with Rand, an uptick from the 53% support than Rand and Writinglegend received in the March 31st Presidential Election. McEntire and SkyGreen dip slightly from 30.3% in the election to 25.9% in the poll, while Lime and Turbiatop crater from 16.7% in the election to 3.7% in the poll.

If President Rand were up for re-election today, would you support him?

Forms response chart. Question title: If President Rand were up for re-election today, would you support him?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Before even seeing platforms, a majority of Europeians think they’d support Rand in a re-election bid. However, the majority is narrow enough that a challenger certainly still has space to maneuver these numbers.

If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?

Forms response chart. Question title: If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

Forms response chart. Question title: If the presidential election were held today, who would you vote for?. Number of responses: 27 responses.

In the head-to-head matchups sponsored by the ENN’s latest Hot 5, Rand holds his own against everyone but Maowi, who pummels him 63%-37%. PhDre loses to Rand by only one vote. PA, however, is notably weak against the President.

(last piece in next post - too many images!)

In our threeway matchups, things stay competitive with no one avoiding a runoff and narrow margins in both races. PhDre demonstrates a slight advantage over Prim and UPC.

In our final 6-way pileup, no one comes close to a majority, but PhDre and Maowi would advance to a run-off, eliminating Rand.

Overall, it’s clear that President Rand has staying power were he to seek a second term, but any credible challenger would still pose a threat. We could be gearing up for an exciting election next month.

Thanks for reading! Please let me know what you thought of the methodology, especially whether or not you thought the 1-10 ratings added value (it certainly added work). I appreciate your feedback.

FINALLY, I CAN FEAST

very interesting data overall, especially on the election matchups!

Last edited:
This was really interesting, and I do appreciate the 1-10 ratings but I wanted the standard deviation too.
few resolutions coming from Heroes of Valhalla aside from West’s
This is kind of unfair - Heroes of Valhalla is always going to depend on there being interested and dedicated authors - I'm not really sure what the MoWAA is supposed to do about this?

This was really interesting, and I do appreciate the 1-10 ratings but I wanted the standard deviation too.
few resolutions coming from Heroes of Valhalla aside from West’s
This is kind of unfair - Heroes of Valhalla is always going to depend on there being interested and dedicated authors - I'm not really sure what the MoWAA is supposed to do about this?
Standard deviation doesn't work at our low response levels.

omg I was right about Maowi being the only one to defeat Rand!

I feel like the numbers are great for the administration, though I am a bit surprised by Vor being so low... I guess people don't really look behind the scenes. Also I'm now happier about my Maowi pick than at the time!

Thanks for this Sopo and I loved how you butchered the names of nearly every cabinet member lol

rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! I think I can definitely do some things to boost visibility - such as some weekly addresses, a citizen spotlight or two, and taking on more "public" projects like EBC articles - but I do think authoring (and campaigning for) a public and major SC proposal in pursuit of our foreign policy objectives should hopefully count for something towards visibility points :p

But yeah, it is no secret that a lot of my role is heavily focused on advising the president on foreign policy matters and helping steer the policy-ship in that arena, which is naturally a more behind-the-scenes thing. But we have had a lot of success with Injunct TCB and now the Lazarus treaty in the first 45 days.

But I'm not dead and I'm definitely not on an oxygen tank!

Very cool results! Thanks for running this poll, even though you ninja’d the EBC. :p

First-time minister PaleLand sits at a 59.2% approval rating with 11.1% disapproving and a sizable 29.6% neutral, the same as Prim. Has ratings are across the board but concentrated in the middle, with 5, 7, and 8 having the most respondents. Comments are generally positive, though one commenter expresses that they aren’t sure how to feel about the lack of discussion threads, and another worries that the ministry is stagnating with late IFVs and few resolutions coming from Heroes of Valhalla aside from West’s. PA recently received oversight from Senator UPC for simultaneously holding two WA nations, which may also play into some of the lower ratings.
I think this result is pretty unfair and also pretty uninformed. The late IFVs point is valid, but we got rid of discussion threads a couple of terms ago and HoV has passed a number of commendations this term. Plenty of non-West people are involved in the program but no one else can rapidly churn out proposals like West does. Plus, HoV has gone through terms in the past without anything public to show for it and I don’t remember the minister’s approval suffering very much.

EDIT: to be clear, I’m talking about the result, not the analysis

Very cool results! Thanks for running this poll, even though you ninja’d the EBC. :p

I think this result is pretty unfair and also pretty uninformed. The late IFVs point is valid, but we got rid of discussion threads a couple of terms ago and HoV has passed a number of commendations this term. Plenty of non-West people are involved in the program but no one else can rapidly churn out proposals like West does. Plus, HoV has gone through terms in the past without anything public to show for it and I don’t remember the minister’s approval suffering very much.

EDIT: to be clear, I’m talking about the result, not the analysis
Also I think that proposal discussions will shift to the RMB since we do polls now there, but I’m going to better specify it in the midterm address

Hmmmm. I obviously have not shared enough mai-thais with the right journalists for such a rating.

Interesting results! I also completely forgot Vor was even in Cabinet...

I can't see any of the comments for the ministers/president/VP.

Overall some good ratings across the board.

I now understand why this took so long to write, and it was definitely worth the wait. Brilliant work Sopo!

I feel like the numbers are great for the administration, though I am a bit surprised by Vor being so low... I guess people don't really look behind the scenes. Also I'm now happier about my Maowi pick than at the time!
It's tough even from an analysis perspective - I know some things about what's happening in some ministries, but not others. So, if folks can't see what's happening, they likely assume the answer is nothing.
I can't speak to this particular comment, but I hope the Cabinet will take the opportunity to highlight all the good things going on in their midterms.
Hmmmm. I obviously have not shared enough mai-thais with the right journalists for such a rating.
You know how to contact me...
I can't see any of the comments for the ministers/president/VP.
I didn't include the raw comments if that's what you're referring to.
I now understand why this took so long to write, and it was definitely worth the wait. Brilliant work Sopo!
Thanks, UPC!

I appreciate all the engagement, everyone. It's been awhile since I did one of these, and it was fun (but a lot of work).

Would you be interested in releasing them? I would be interested in reading them.

Would you be interested in releasing them? I would be interested in reading them.
They are available through ENN Premium, only $4.99/mo when you pay for 6 months up front!

Would like to chime in because it's a rather interesting thought. I do think that this term there has been expanded Euro interest in the HoV; it's been neat seeing administration peeps like Rand come in and show interest, and in the wake of Hulldom's departure activity has continued in part because of renewed focus on discussions on that part. I do think it's unfair to blame the MoWAA, if that's occurring, for anything perceived lack of visibility in the HoV from Euro - Euro is consistently the most active and represented partner, simply because I think there was already a strong base for it with Maowi practically having been the heart of the program before and what I felt was a renewed push from the Euro side of things at the start of the term which was rather noticeable.

A separate point raised PA is fair; for most, particularly since the SC-writing process is pretty gradual, difficult, and unfamiliar for first-timers, the drafting process will likely go across the timespan of several terms if it's not on someone's to-do list. This is probably especially the case if it's friggin President Rand adding something to his plate! That is legitimately admirable. I do think, however, that something the MoWAA could do to foster more focus is simply continuously and regularly push newer peeps to show interest and speak up in the HoV. We currently have the activity and senior experience to help provide feedback and comments, but that needs to be matched by interest in receiving those comments and something to provide feedback to. There's always interest in writing SC props, and in the past running WAA from my experience always highlighted what felt like the empty promise of "we'll teach you to write in the WA!" but now? The HoV can actually do that and help you get your first time experience, authorship, whatever, so long as it's going to be supported.

As to the rest of the article - this is legitimately really really interesting and I had a blast reading it!! I absolutely love that Euro runs these polls and churns out just wonderful articles as a product of them; it's something I wish I'd see more often around NS. Thanks for the fantastic read! :D

I do think, however, that something the MoWAA could do to foster more focus is simply continuously and regularly push newer peeps to show interest and speak up in the HoV.
Alright, I was the one who wrote the comment and I regret wording it wrong and... writing it in the first place? I think the above is more what I was referring to, I feel like HoV just hasn't been advertised enough and in general the ministry hasn't had this many new members getting involved. I'm just seeing some worrying signs in the ministry in general due to... idk, intuition maybe? It may just be my past experience of people like myself being a first-time minister and picking up where the others left off and then the ministry eventually just stagnating. I do want to be wrong and even if I am right part of the blame lies on me as a deputy, so we'll see at the end of the term - maybe it's just me being a perfectionist

This was a really interesting and entertaining read – awesome analysis, thanks Sopo!

Thanks for the vote of confidence and morale boost, everyone, and thanks for doing this poll, Sopo! I am so proud to be a part of this amazing Cabinet team. We've also gleaned a few insights from this poll which will help to inform our direction for the remainder of the term.

Back