[euro538ia] MAY 2023 SENATE ELECTION LIVEBLOG

1674191052117.png

EURO538IA ELECTION LIVEBLOG
Europeia Decides, and the EBC posts

Palace of the People, Oval Room - Hello Europeia! EURO538IA is here for our FIRST Senate election, and polls have just opened! With many incumbent Senators standing for reelection, as well as some newly-returned Europeians jumping in, we may have an exciting race ahead of us. In fact, today has been exciting in the Senate itself where the Bar Association Omnibus Act passed and the Treaty of Styx was ratified.

Still, EBC polling suggests that the public may not be particularly enthused with its choices in this election, with only one third of respondents expressing satisfaction with the field. Read the EBC's coverage of the race here.

The candidates have all released either platforms or statements which you are encouraged to read in the Oval Room! Don't forget to vote!

A quick note on time zones: I'll likely be asleep for much of the first half of the election, but I should be back for the second (and admittedly less fun). Good thing we have lots of guests who will be able to analyze the race too! Stay tuned with the EURO538IA liveblog throughout election day as we bring you updates as Europeia Decides.

Also note that posts in this thread may be edited by the Minister of Communications (me) for formatting. Edits will never be made to content.

UPC number 1 even though he's only going for half a term is fascinating.
Yeah, it's definitely hard to discern what's behind UPC's success, whether it's wariness of Frontier Europeia (the platform was literally titled "A Stronghold Girlie in a Frontier World"), support after the Senate rejected the RSC nomination, an appetite for shorter Senate terms (which could suggest that the Senate revisit the rotating Senate seats idea), or something else entirely. I suspect we're seeing a combination of those factors, though.

I don't think it's wariness of a Frontier Europeia - the title is based on a joke by HEM on radio, we literally just transitioned, and the platform doesn't include any criticism of being a Frontier. I do like your second explanation, multiple people did support this idea. Also, he may just be one of the favourite incumbents, especially given that he had a rivalry with Ellenburg, who is still doing poorly.

Where We Stand

Polls have just closed! Senators Prim and UPC have won reelection handily, and Speaker Lime, JayDee, and McEntire have clinched the remaining seats. Congratulations and good luck to our new Senate, and commiserations to John Laurens and Senator Ellenburg! Fifty-six citizens voted, a sharp increase from the last Senate general election in February that saw a turnout of just 38. Interestingly, the top Senate seat option of 5 defeated the bottom option of 5 by almost 20 points!

And that’s a wrap!

Thanks to all our guests that have joined the liveblog and shared their thoughts! While this particular election (and by extension the liveblog) wasn’t as crazy as some of our past ones, I’m glad the EBC was here to cover it! Thank you to our audience for reading, and I hope you enjoyed!

Back