[euro538ia] MAY 2023 SENATE ELECTION LIVEBLOG

1674191052117.png

EURO538IA ELECTION LIVEBLOG
Europeia Decides, and the EBC posts

Palace of the People, Oval Room - Hello Europeia! EURO538IA is here for our FIRST Senate election, and polls have just opened! With many incumbent Senators standing for reelection, as well as some newly-returned Europeians jumping in, we may have an exciting race ahead of us. In fact, today has been exciting in the Senate itself where the Bar Association Omnibus Act passed and the Treaty of Styx was ratified.

Still, EBC polling suggests that the public may not be particularly enthused with its choices in this election, with only one third of respondents expressing satisfaction with the field. Read the EBC's coverage of the race here.

The candidates have all released either platforms or statements which you are encouraged to read in the Oval Room! Don't forget to vote!

A quick note on time zones: I'll likely be asleep for much of the first half of the election, but I should be back for the second (and admittedly less fun). Good thing we have lots of guests who will be able to analyze the race too! Stay tuned with the EURO538IA liveblog throughout election day as we bring you updates as Europeia Decides.

Also note that posts in this thread may be edited by the Minister of Communications (me) for formatting. Edits will never be made to content.

We can start off by calling in our good friends @Sopo and @Kazaman. You two have witnessed many Senate elections throughout your time in Europeia. What are your expectations heading into this election? What issues do you think are at play?

We’re also lucky to get to hear from Senator @Seva! How do you feel about this past Senate term now that it’s coming to a close? What are you hoping or expecting to see from the Senate moving forward?

This election seems fairly standard to me, mainly because there aren't any hot button issues dividing the race. I expect the more senior/experienced candidates to sail through, with a tighter competition for the newer or returning players.

I largely agree with Kaz, though it's unclear to me who will be the odd men out. The difference between the fourth and fifth seats and the two losers may well just be a vote or two - so despite this not being a big "issues" race, it still seems to be an exciting one.

I do think the first part of the term was more active and interesting, but probably because of Rand's endless activity and ideas, which was never sustainable in the long term. But I feel like the second half was more relevant because we made many changes that affected central parts of the region, continuing Rand's IPA and finalising legislation about other aspects of being a Frontier. I think generally the Senate fulfilled its objective of helping the Executive function and overseeing it, as well as the bonus thing of bringing innovation that people may or may not want. And I feel both set it apart from latest Senate's before it, and I'm happy with its work!

As for the second part of the question, I had an illuminating conversation in the discord grand hall channel that showed me... it's not really supposed to do much of innovation, I'd rather it focus on the main thing of helping the Executive by passing laws or discussing things relevant to the Frontier transition and of course overseeing ministers (I don't exactly know what concretely, and it seems like not many of the candidates do, based on the platforms). Rotating Senate is still on the back-burner and I feel the region right now is fully focused on the transition and doesn't demand much else. Which is why I'm not demanding that either

This election seems fairly standard to me, mainly because there aren't any hot button issues dividing the race. I expect the more senior/experienced candidates to sail through, with a tighter competition for the newer or returning players.
I largely agree with Kaz, though it's unclear to me who will be the odd men out. The difference between the fourth and fifth seats and the two losers may well just be a vote or two - so despite this not being a big "issues" race, it still seems to be an exciting one.
Very cool! The early results seem to line up with these takes so far, but we have lots of time left to go. As the election progresses (and I am sleeping), feel free to update or brag about your opinions of the race.

I do think the first part of the term was more active and interesting, but probably because of Rand's endless activity and ideas, which was never sustainable in the long term. But I feel like the second half was more relevant because we made many changes that affected central parts of the region, continuing Rand's IPA and finalising legislation about other aspects of being a Frontier. I think generally the Senate fulfilled its objective of helping the Executive function and overseeing it, as well as the bonus thing of bringing innovation that people may or may not want. And I feel both set it apart from latest Senate's before it, and I'm happy with its work!

As for the second part of the question, I had an illuminating conversation in the discord grand hall channel that showed me... it's not really supposed to do much of innovation, I'd rather it focus on the main thing of helping the Executive by passing laws or discussing things relevant to the Frontier transition and of course overseeing ministers (I don't exactly know what concretely, and it seems like not many of the candidates do, based on the platforms). Rotating Senate is still on the back-burner and I feel the region right now is fully focused on the transition and doesn't demand much else. Which is why I'm not demanding that either
You have a very interesting take here! The idea that the Senate and executive should focus of working together as opposed to constantly “checking” each other is one that I don’t think we hear often.

Moving on to the latest buzz around the Bar Association!

We are very fortunate to have none other than the president agree to join the liveblog! President @Rand, you have been the primary architect behind the recently-passed Bar Association Omnibus Act. How does it feel to see the bill passed? What do you think of the latest version of the bill?

But wait, there's more! @Lloenflys can also come on to chat! Lloenflys has recently launched a petition to send the Bar Association Omnibus Act to a referendum. Would you like to give our readers an elevator pitch for why they should sign? What do you think of the latest version of the bill?

The idea that the Senate and executive should focus of working together as opposed to constantly “checking” each other is one that I don’t think we hear often.
Yeah, oversight in my opinion isn't supposed to be a power struggle, and instead the Senate helping the executive properly vet a candidate, and then helping that minister identify areas in which they should improve.

But wait, there's more! @Lloenflys can also come on to chat! Lloenflys has recently launched a petition to send the Bar Association Omnibus Act to a referendum. Would you like to give our readers an elevator pitch for why they should sign? What do you think of the latest version of the bill?

Thank you for the invitation! My pitch is basically that I think this is a big change, and I think it's kind of gone under the radar for a lot of people. I am on the fence over how I would vote in the referendum, if one is triggered, but I would like to have the discussion and I hope that if we do, it gets people to at least be aware of what the changes would be. I'm not sure I buy into having term limits or what is in effect a licensing requirement, so I am on the fence with how I would ultimately come down. I do like the idea of innovation, though, so mostly I just want to have more discussion and think this is an appropriate thing for the people as a whole to decide if they want.

How about that Senate election, though, eh? I'm interested to see Ellenburg at the bottom right now, because he did quite well in the last election. It would be interesting to know what had people's allegiance shifting this time ... of course there's a long time to go and the trip out of the cellar isn't yet overwhelming. I also think it is interesting that UPC doesn't seem to have suffered any real consequences for pledging not to fulfill a full term - I suggested that might be the case yesterday in a discord discussion and it looks like people are fine with the disclosure and are willing to get a partial term of UPC rather than have no UPC!

The idea that the Senate and executive should focus of working together as opposed to constantly “checking” each other is one that I don’t think we hear often.
Yeah, oversight in my opinion isn't supposed to be a power struggle, and instead the Senate helping the executive properly vet a candidate, and then helping that minister identify areas in which they should improve.
Do you think our current oversight system accomplishes this goal or are there changes you would want to see?

I'm interested to see Ellenburg at the bottom right now, because he did quite well in the last election. It would be interesting to know what had people's allegiance shifting this time ... of course there's a long time to go and the trip out of the cellar isn't yet overwhelming.
It’s possible that Ellenburg’s role in UPC’s rejection and the tabled Foreign Affairs Act is weighing on voters. What do you think of those factors? Do you see any other issues at play?

I also think it is interesting that UPC doesn't seem to have suffered any real consequences for pledging not to fulfill a full term - I suggested that might be the case yesterday in a discord discussion and it looks like people are fine with the disclosure and are willing to get a partial term of UPC rather than have no UPC!
Definitely! I wonder if this experiment will become a new norm!

Do you think our current oversight system accomplishes this goal or are there changes you would want to see?
yeah, I feel like it does. I like that it's not over-regulated and allows Senators to apply their different styles

I'm interested to see Ellenburg at the bottom right now, because he did quite well in the last election. It would be interesting to know what had people's allegiance shifting this time ... of course there's a long time to go and the trip out of the cellar isn't yet overwhelming.
It’s possible that Ellenburg’s role in UPC’s rejection and the tabled Foreign Affairs Act is weighing on voters. What do you think of those factors? Do you see any other issues at play?

I also think it is interesting that UPC doesn't seem to have suffered any real consequences for pledging not to fulfill a full term - I suggested that might be the case yesterday in a discord discussion and it looks like people are fine with the disclosure and are willing to get a partial term of UPC rather than have no UPC!
Definitely! I wonder if this experiment will become a new norm!

Given that UPC is riding high in the polling and Ellenburg is at the bottom right now, it sure seems like that may have played a role! I can't figure out else might be happening there, but I also haven't discussed it with anyone else so it is possible that there something in the platform that could have caused a concern or that people weren't as comfortable with. I sincerely hope that my referendum question, where Ellenburg stuck out a little, did not cause any loss of votes!

Where We Stand

Two hours have gone by since polls opened. Currently, Senators Prim and UPC have opened wide leads over the rest of the field, with JayDee and McEntire next in line. The fifth and final seat is stuck in a dead heat between Speaker Lime and John Laurens, while Senator Ellenburg trails. Thirty-three Europeians have cast their votes.

We are lucky to now have @PhDre and @Pichtonia join us on the liveblog! Welcome! The next few questions are directed at you two, but any of our guests are welcome to answer them, because there are many. I'm hoping to give plenty of food for thought before I sign off for the night.

First of all, what do you think of the election results so far? Do they align with your expectations?

This election, like the last presidential race, has not focused much on individual issues. Do you think this is a "blip" or potentially a new normal?

Finally, many candidates have stated or implied that they expect to have a lot to legislate regarding Europeia's recent transition to a Frontier as new circumstances arise. What kinds of legislation or situations should we be looking out for or expecting? What if nothing comes up and we just have a Senate term without any new bills?

This is likely to be my last post before I go to sleep. I will pick this up again tomorrow (for me, but it may still be the same day for some of you), but our guests are welcome to continue their discussion until then if they like!

Hello! I am late to the call but just became free.

I am thrilled that the Bar Association has finally passed. I feel like most people are at worst indifferent about it, so unless I see a strong showing on Lloenflys's petition to essentially extend the election, I am excited to sign it and usher in this new era for Europeia's judiciary! It's not entirely the form I initially envisioned it, but that's how the legislative process works. I'm pleased with the final result.

I am surprised Lime so far isn't performing as strongly as some other candidates, especially considering his strong polling figures, but I expect he'll pick up some later voters and safely stay in the Senate.

The outgoing Senate has done some solid work, and although the next legislative session seems to be a bit directionless right now, I don't see any reason for any incumbent not to return. Personally, I wish we could elect all 7 candidates!

We are back!

Where We Stand

With 50 votes in, Prim and UPC have maintained their significant leads, and Lime has surged ahead of McEntire. All four of those candidates appear likely, but not guaranteed, to serve in the next Senate, along with JayDee. Let's not jump to conclusions though! Our election is only half way over, and I heard that some of the candidates have been actively GOTV-ing to get ahead.

I am surprised Lime so far isn't performing as strongly as some other candidates, especially considering his strong polling figures, but I expect he'll pick up some later voters and safely stay in the Senate.
It looks like this prediction has proven correct, for the time being!

In fact, the results so far seem to mostly line up with our polling, although McEntire had not joined the race yet at that point. This is when we get to bring in @Istillian and @SkyGreen! Istillian and SkyGreen, what are your thoughts on this election? Has anything surprised you, or do things mostly align with the polling and expectations?

Last edited:
I am also pleased to invite @Kuramia to the liveblog!

Kuramia, I heard rumors that the low enthusiasm for this election could lead to lower turnout. What do you think of the turnout so far?

Kuramia, Istillian, and SkyGreen are also welcome to answer these questions:
First of all, what do you think of the election results so far? Do they align with your expectations?

This election, like the last presidential race, has not focused much on individual issues. Do you think this is a "blip" or potentially a new normal?

Finally, many candidates have stated or implied that they expect to have a lot to legislate regarding Europeia's recent transition to a Frontier as new circumstances arise. What kinds of legislation or situations should we be looking out for or expecting? What if nothing comes up and we just have a Senate term without any new bills?

Last edited:
Yes and no, it's easy to say that after seeing the results. I did expect Prim to get the most votes, and UPC number 1 even though he's only going for half a term is fascinating.

I think that we are indeed in a period of answering some bigger questions, with the whole transition and frontier situation. I think this is a new normal for the time being. We need to regulate more like feeders do now, and that might also require some Senate work regarding the gameside. I'm super glad UPC will be involved in that convo as he is one of the voices who actually keep in touch with gameside affairs.

what are your thoughts on this election? Has anything surprised you, or do things mostly align with the polling and expectations?
Initially I felt like this Senate election was a little sleepy, but there's been a steady undercurrent of differing issues. The return of JayDee and him instantly standing and creating a platform was exciting. And UPC declaring a half term was a gamble from him, even though he set a very clear agenda in his platform. However, he is on the upward swing of both popularity and visible achievements (specifically our new recruitment tool, which can't be talked about enough) so him being re-elected is not so surprising, and as SkyGreen has already mentioned, having such an experienced voice in the Senate at this stage of discovering the Frontier is both helpful to Europeia, and sets an example for others to follow too.

The only other point I'll mention, and this isn't meant to disparage Prim in any way, but it is a little odd to see how easily he was able to walk back into the Senate so incredibly safely. There's no competition there at at. But that just goes to show there's a lot of trust in him and the input he makes.

The thing I'm more curious about this election around is if we'll have some competitiveness for the Speakership, and how they will work alongside President Rand, who has been very active in Senate discussions. We have a very experience-heavy team likely coming into the Senate, and a lot of ambition between them too. Any thoughts on who could rise to the Speakership next @Pland Adanna?

The thing I'm more curious about this election around is if we'll have some competitiveness for the Speakership, and how they will work alongside President Rand, who has been very active in Senate discussions. We have a very experience-heavy team likely coming into the Senate, and a lot of ambition between them too. Any thoughts on who could rise to the Speakership next @Pland Adanna?
This is a great question! If I had to guess, I would say Prim is most likely to become Speaker, but you're right that we may have a lot of contenders. Lime and UPC are both former speakers, and McEntire going for it would not surprise me either.

This is a great question! If I had to guess, I would say Prim is most likely to become Speaker, but you're right that we may have a lot of contenders. Lime and UPC are both former speakers, and McEntire going for it would not surprise me either.
I hope Prim isn't the next Speaker, as much as he'd do a great job, because I'd need a new Minister of the Interior!

Back