Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
Him / He
conversation.png

MAY 2, 2023
AUTHOR: PICHTONIA​

Le Anniversarie: World Assembly Delegate Celebrates One Year in Office

On this 2nd of May, 2023, a new page is written into the history books of our Republic. Our World Assembly Delegate, Le Libertie, becomes only the fourth Delegate to serve for more than a year, following Vinage, Mousebumples, Aexnidaral (who achieved this in both of his terms) and Prim before him. It’s a historic moment we might long remember, especially because today doesn’t just mark the anniversary of LL’s Delegacy, it also marks the day Europeia became a Frontier region, transforming the Delegate office with it.

Now, the date for LL’s anniversary isn’t actually as clear cut as this article makes it out to be, or the NationStates site for that matter. After the resignation of then-Delegate Aexnidaral in the november of 2020, our region found itself with Le Libertie as the nation with the most endorsements, and Le Libertie found himself as acting Delegate for 33 days, though he wasn’t Delegate in accordance with our laws. So going only by total days in office, LL could have celebrated his anniversary about a month ago.

It was Prim who, despite a lower endorsement count, was then nominated by President Peeps for his intricate knowledge of Foreign and World Assembly Affairs. LL was extremely graceful in helping the transition, however, and Prim showed his gratitude by making LL the Vice Delegate, which he remained at Prim’s side for a good year and a half.

After Prim decided to not seek reconfirmation as Delegate, the President, following Prim’s advice, chose to nominate Le Libertie as new Delegate. The Senate confirmed him unanimously, and thus made him legal World Assembly Delegate on April 30th. So maybe we could have also celebrated this anniversary a few days ago. But ultimately, Gameside NationStates doesn’t care much for our laws nor does it count days overall, but consecutive days, and in that regard we can confidently say that Le Libertie has now reached his one year anniversary. Last major, the count next to his name on our regional page switched to “elected 1 year ago”. Congratulations, Mr. Delegate!

1683036822574.png

The first year in office is a pretty special occasion.

Vinage was Europeia’s 12th Gameside Delegate, serving as Gameside Delegate for just over 500 days between January 2012 and June 2013, at the time making him the longest serving Delegate of Europeia. It was a different time, one where the Delegate acted more independently and was more about making policy than taking it from the Executive. He recalls his first year being one trying to establish himself as the World Assembly Delegate as well as the role of the office. “You've got to meet the other Delegates as well as involvement with the current President and Minister of Foreign Affairs on their goals. At the same time, you had to maintain some critical independence from that and them. Promoting a Europeia image out there with some much more involved people.”

Vinage’s record would later be broken by Mousebumples, who to this date is our longest consecutively serving Delegate, serving 889 days between July 2014 and December 2016. “Being the World Assembly Delegate (for my previous region of Monkey Island, and later in Europeia) was one of my favorite parts of playing Nation States”, she reminisces. “I enjoyed the politicking involved in trying to persuade other Delegates to vote with us. It was so satisfying to arrange a successful Stack or Stomp to affect the end result of a WA Resolution. (especially if it helped gain passage for one authored by a Europeian or an ally!)”

Things may have changed a lot since their terms, but not everything about the office is different.

As Vinage explains, “[t]here are two prongs to the job, there is keeping those in Europeia informed and those in the World Assembly involved. People who would be Forum-Side and Game-Side with, ultimately, those game side determining your level of endorsements and therefore influence on the WA.”

“[E]specially with Frontiers on the horizon - there's a large amount of trust that we place in our Delegate to endotart and keep track of endorsements in the region. It's time consuming, especially as the Delegate-Elect is working to gain more endorsements to earn the in game Delegacy. While LL is coming up on 1 year in the official WA Delegate role, I know the time commitment has been for longer than that”, Mouse has shared with us.

What did change was the role of the World Assembly Delegate.

Only a few months after the surprising Delegate election of Aexnidaral in 2017, he and a group of similarly minded citizens, representing most of the active Europeian World Assembly and Foreign Affairs stakeholders at the time, lobbied for a new World Assembly Act that would see the delegacy transformed into what it is today, or was until recently at least, which is more of an extension of the Executive government than its own separate authority. After serving more than a thousand days in office, the most total days as Delegate, Aexnidaral also knows of the challenges that LL faces, and shows a lot of respect for the job he has done.

“LL has done a fantastic job and at a time where there is supreme uncertainty all the way around. I do not envy having to be the Delegate during a time where many of our most important gameside tools were functionally broken as nations and endorsements plummet while you are struggling to do everything you can to turn a bad situation around. I think LL should be commended for being as stable and level headed as he has been.”

But while our technological troubles seem to be clearing thanks to the government and a number of tech volunteers, some of the biggest challenges may yet be ahead with the Frontier transition. It’s a great coincidence that Le Libertie celebrates his anniversary on Transition Day, and also very noteworthy insofar as that it might be the transition that will most shape his record in the history books of our Republic.

Vinage wishes that LL can ”be a critical friend to the Executive of Europeia but also spot opportunities where [he] can work with them on the World Assembly”. He explains that, “at my time there was a divide down the middle with Raiders and Defenders, Europeia holding those firm Independence both-side views. Don't get drawn into Executive battles, you represent Europeia on the world stage and ultimately a large influence on the forums of NationStates. Keep active on the Forums, keep active with those who Endorse you”.

The three former delegates root for their successor. “Here's to hoping for LL's continued success during our transition and well into the future”, Aexnidaral cheers. “Thank you for your time as Delegate, and all the best in the time to come!”, says Mouse. And Vinage is even more optimistic, wishing ”[g]ood luck for another year”.

But what's to be written about the history of Le Libertie and his delegacy remains to be seen. We, too, wish him all the best.​

For the writing of this article, we separately approached @Aexnidaral @Mousebumples and @Vinage Vinage for their input. Thank you three for your quick and thorough response!

Last edited:
Great article - especially cool that you got quotes from Vinage!

This is awesome! Great journalism Pichto and congratulations on your year of delegacy LL!!!

We talked about this privately too but I’ll just add here that this is an excellent piece! I really loved hearing from Europeians who we don’t get to see much anymore, and I learned a lot about the historical role of the delegate. Great work, Pichto, and congratulations LL!

This was an absolutely brilliant read. Having LL as our Delegate as we have been navigating the Frontier transition has certainly filled me with a sense of security as well. I would say that not only is his one year in the role worth celebrating, but now being a historically significant Delegate because of this change is truly worthy of recognition too.

Back