If You Do This One Thing On Discord, You're A Monster

The simple fact of the matter is that inactive group DMs don't hurt you. They don't cause you pain or harm. And oftentimes, there may actually be content there you want to look back on later on. If you leave group DMs just to leave them — and pass pain and agony onto the other members of the DM — you are, quite simply, a monster.
I disagree completely.

I enjoy a group chat list of 0, similar to inbox 0 but for discord. I will happily slightly inconvenience you to leave old group chats. I apologize for your very little pain and suffering that results from this.
you're a monster :(

This actually inspired me to have a look at some of my old groupchats. I am in multiple groupchats with a (general) group of people from over 3 years ago now. They range from 3 1/2 years --> 1 1/2 years. Most have 4+ members. Imagine how annoying it would be if there was a chain of leaving from them? Dozens of notifications from year-dead chats >.>

This may be the first thing you have said about Discord which I agree with. I have been on this platform since 2016, and in all that time, I have never left an inactive GC.

(yes i did do a lot of Discord RP)
No no this is definitely psychopathic behavior right here
No this is totally normal behavior! Do people delete their one-on-one convos with people because, "eh, haven't talked in a while! goodbye!"
I have deleted one-on-one convos three times.

One of those times was an accident. The second was incredibly deserved, and I ended up blocking them but just didn't want to be reminded of their messages anymore. And the third I did so and then regretted pretty soon after.

Apart from that, I don't see the point. In any case, it has been immensely useful when people I haven't seen in over a year DM me with a new profile picture and a new username. I, often, only am able to recognise them by going back through our DM logs and deducing based on context.

Last edited:
I'm never the first to leave a group DM, but I will leave once everyone else does. Usually, the group DMs in question are not worth remembering anyway. Group servers, however, I will never leave.
I remember Sopo made a group server for anyone who could find the hidden link in his region's WFE or forum signature block?

I think only 2-3 people ended up in that server apart from Sopo,
He also made one for the Kingdom of Old Europeia -- any of those servers still kicking around, @Sopo?
i delete so many servers

Oh my, this is sad. Why don't people want to be in a group chat with you?

This may be the first thing you have said about Discord which I agree with. I have been on this platform since 2016, and in all that time, I have never left an inactive GC.

No this is totally normal behavior! Do people delete their one-on-one convos with people because, "eh, haven't talked in a while! goodbye!"
Yes if I haven’t spoken to a person in four years and no longer participate in mutual activities with them I’ll delete our message history. I see it as the same thing as like clearing out the random people from your Steam friends list or something

Personally I have never left a group DM with one exception. A little while back I left a whole bunch of them when clearing out my DMs because they included an individual that I had a big fight with where we both split completely angry at each other to the point where we couldn't even stand each other. That's the only time I've done so and most of the time I get so many DMs that I never really see it again within a few days.

Yes if I haven’t spoken to a person in four years and no longer participate in mutual activities with them I’ll delete our message history. I see it as the same thing as like clearing out the random people from your Steam friends list or something
I also don't clean my Steam friends list!! Or my Discord friends list, for that matter.

The simple fact of the matter is that inactive group DMs don't hurt you. They don't cause you pain or harm. And oftentimes, there may actually be content there you want to look back on later on. If you leave group DMs just to leave them — and pass pain and agony onto the other members of the DM — you are, quite simply, a monster.
I disagree completely.

I enjoy a group chat list of 0, similar to inbox 0 but for discord. I will happily slightly inconvenience you to leave old group chats. I apologize for your very little pain and suffering that results from this.
This is genocide

This bothers me when the group DM was about official business. We should be trying to preserve those!
Definitely this!

After discussing it, the one exception I'll allow for is a radio show DM -- and only if you're leaving immediately after the show.

I didn't even get the chance to say no problem!! :( :(

Screenshot_20210114-104425_Discord.jpg

They then left the second senate broadcast group yesterday, leaving Pichto and me by ourselves. :(

I mentioned this in EuroChat the other day, but @HEM left the Chancellery's group chat and by a miracle - a true miracle - @Drecq , @Deepest House , and I stayed in the chat. We staved off the urge to flee the chat once HEM's departure created a crack in the proverbial dam.

I mentioned this in EuroChat the other day, but @HEM left the Chancellery's group chat and by a miracle - a true miracle - @Drecq , @Deepest House , and I stayed in the chat. We staved off the urge to flee the chat once HEM's departure created a crack in the proverbial dam.
We are just biding our time until we can claim semi-believably that we arent jumping on HEMs bandwagon.

This is a very important issue and I'm glad you've bought it up. We must stop these heathens from leaving the GC's and disturbing the peace.
Oh how the tables have turned........

Screenshot (20).png

7 unnecessary pings today from @Xecrio leaving groupchats today, and as HEM rightly points out it lead to further undenary pings when @Darkslayer followed and left a groupchat too.

Back