HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"The Best And Worst In All Presidential Platforms"

Wow, how long has it been since Europeia had a super competitive Presidential election? Much less one with three serious tickets?!

But as exciting as three tickets are, that does mean that we all need to read through three serious policy platforms. And phew, that's a lot of heavy reading. So I've decided to swoop in and help folks jumpstart that process by pulling out (in my opinion) the best and worst part of each platform.

As an aside: I am trying to do this exercise agnostic on policy. For example: I, personally, oppose merging the Ministry of Radio and Ministry of Communications. But I won't be judging the merits of that idea in this article. I'm going to focus on what I see as weak or strong points based on how well [whatever] is articulated in the policy platforms.

Okay, so let's do this!

Olde Delaware's Platform:

I would say the introduction was actually the best moment of OD's platform for me. Olde Delaware very freely and frankly admits shortcomings in the past and how he's worked to become a more level-headed public servant over the past few years. OD has run for a lot of offices over the years, but this bid feels like it has *purpose*. He is running at this specific time for a *reason*, and the timing couldn't be better because of his growth (that's how he presents it at least). He then provides tangible examples of good work in recent times, and then pivots into his platform goals.

If anything, I wish the platform was then organized by these goals. There's a lot of waffle around the specific Ministry sections.

The integration sub-section of the Ministry of Culture platform portion is just...well, you have to see it to believe it. It just names every unsuccessful attempt at formalizing integration processes, and freely tosses the reigns to the Europeian people to step up and magically solve integration on their own — like a bride throwing her bouquet out at a wedding reception. Basically: Nothing has ever worked, and we have absolutely no ideas, but please for the love of god do something (you, not, ya know, us).

To be sure, the idea of integration lives through other sub-sections of the Culture section where more tangible ideas are proposed...but, about as minimal meat as you could possibly have to start.

Icarus's Platform:

Probably the best moment of this platform is the Project Athena idea. While I did ask a question regarding its implementation, there's no doubt that this is a broad, tentpole idea that gives drive to nearly every single Ministry. By having a major dedicated focus, you create work for Foreign Affairs (promo for other regions), Culture (running events), Communications/Media (writing up articles/hosting shows) and so on. While there is a chance that the whole tentpole idea fails — which means you are Going Big or Going Home — it's a neat focus.

I'd also give an honorable mention to the concluding statement. A really nice pep talk that we need right now.

Where in the world is Carmen Santiago, erm, the Interior section?! If you struggled to find it, it actually shares a combined section with Culture. Apparently the biggest hope for Interior here is ensuring we "work on our internal stability" — so if we don't have any coups, then the department has apparently done everything this platform calls for!

In seriousness, the platform gives a little bit more meat than that. But not much. Lip service is paid to Discord welcoming and....sending telegrams to nations new to the region...is it 2013 again when this was a new game feature?!

Whereas the thin culture section might be excusable with the justification that a lot is covered by the Project Athena idea, the Interior section is a serious oversight. If OD's Integration section was a train-wreck, Icarus' is just an invisible train.

Pland Adanna's Platform

The best moment of this platform, to me, is how it is organized. While the other two platforms feel the need to give lip service to all Ministries (even when it opens them up to disaster) this platform focuses on three big goals. The goals immediately show me, as a voter, where the ticket would focus and what they see the region's problems as.

Honorable Mention: The fact that this platform names the burnout problem and actually proposes tangible ways to reduce burnout (e.g. reduce the depth of IFVs, not setting goals around new treaties). This stays as an honorable mention (and not the best moment) because the platform also proposes a shit ton of Very Big Proposals that will take a lot of effort. As it turns out, reducing needed work capacity and having an interesting platform at the same time is Not Easy.

Phew, I gotta say it's the Super Secret Economy idea. I'm not exactly sure why the details here have to be so under wraps. The campaign says that they want economy incentives to remain secret so they have a lot of razzle dazzle once they are revealed, but (in my mind) that's small potatoes to being able to kick tires on an initiative that is going to take a TON of work.

I am an abashed apologist for economies. I think they can be neat and fun, even if they do eventually explode into a fireball of inflation or neglect. And this ticket is super bold to propose one. Their boldness turns to...madness though in only throwing the idea out in a two paragraph platform section and refusing to give the needed details.

Honorable Mention: Integration is a weak spot for this campaign too. The platform overall says Europeia's activity is abysmal and region nearing decline but their "Bringing in New People" section simultaneously suggests our integration is top notch, amazing, wonderful, with basically no improvements to be made (wow)!!! Their "Engaging the Community" section then provides followup to this by suggesting we make Nationstates fun. If anyone wants to enter this race last minute on a strong integration platform, I say, well, hmmm.

-30-​

Last edited:
To be fair to the candidates, I don’t think i’ve seen a campaign propose anything even remotely resembling a new idea on integration in at least 3 years. Usually it’s just slightly renamed and superficially different mentorship program, which after someone makes a graphic, starts a spreadsheet, get volunteers and maybe reaches out to people, will be almost always be dead by term end.

To be fair to the candidates, I don’t think i’ve seen a campaign propose anything even remotely resembling a new idea on integration in at least 3 years. Usually it’s just slightly renamed and superficially different mentorship program, which after someone makes a graphic, starts a spreadsheet, get volunteers and maybe reaches out to people, will be almost always be dead by term end.
Well maybe it's time for someone to shine!

I do think some integration programs have found at least temporary success. The welcome wagon stands out as something with a decent run.

It's not necessarily easy, but if all tickets agree that activity is a problem, I do believe more thought should go into it.

Phew, I gotta say it's the Super Secret Economy idea. I'm not exactly sure why the details here have to be so under wraps. The campaign says that they want economy incentives to remain secret so they have a lot of razzle dazzle once they are revealed, but (in my mind) that's small potatoes to being able to kick tires on an initiative that is going to take a TON of work.

I am an abashed apologist for economies. I think they can be neat and fun, even if they do eventually explode into a fireball of inflation or neglect. And this ticket is super bold to propose one. Their boldness turns to...madness though in only throwing the idea out in a two paragraph platform section and refusing to give the needed details.
Not going to lie, this is a big problem for me. Especially given that it's the big solution to the activity problem. Seems more sensible to me to build on what we have, rather than trying to upright this major new program that's some Frankenstein economy+Ministry incentive program. Seems like an idea that's logical on its face, but in practice would just be a massive distraction. Throwing the baby out with the bath water. And also keeping much of the plan secret.

Clearly we face incentive issues for folks to participate in what is frankly a giant government apparatus.

My thought is we need to reduce barriers to entry and consider what people get out of public service. I think Monkey's comments here are a good starting point but a deep dive into general "what would motivate participation" is important.

Honestly, I don't see the point in any active integration programs. First of all, we've seen time and time again that newcomers prefer passive resources; any active programs have, like you said, almost always been dead by term's end or are abandoned by an incoming administration. Second of all, I think it's silly to ignore the fact that Discord is a massive integration tool in and of itself that essentially does the work passively since the government doesn't need to formalize players talking to one another, chit-chatting and socializing, etc. I don't really think there's harm in having some active integration efforts, but that's a very fine line to me between "is there no harm in this?" and "are we using resources here that belong somewhere else?"

Back