[Beyond the Borders] Breaking News: Catastrophe in Caer Sidi

Catastrophe in Caer Sidi
Rogue Official Commits Platform Destruction

Written by Astrellan

(July 7, Europeia) - The region of Caer Sidi, a prominent User-Created Region, recently underwent a period of forum, Discord, and world factbook entry (WFE) destruction as an appointed official in the region went rogue.

Itchkerie served as Tanaiste in Caer Sidi, an appointed role similar to a Deputy Prime Minister who serves as an assistant to the Taoiseach, helping with the day-to-day running of the region. They deleted threads on the forums and used their powers gameside as a Regional Officer to completely wipe the WFE, change the region’s flag, and create a poll on the regional message board mocking the government of Caer Sidi. Moreover, they abused a weakness in the regional Discord’s role hierarchy, as they used their existing permissions in their government role to add a bot role to themselves, therefore giving them access to permissions they would not originally have had. With these permissions, they deleted about half of the Discord’s channels and removed many people from the server.

Immediately after the event, Itchkerie, who goes by the Discord tag Vasco da Gamer#4950, messaged the Taoiseach, their boss and the person who appointed them. These are the logs:
Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Though the damage is extensive, many government officials remain positive about the situation. Aynia, who serves as one half of the monarchy of Caer Sidi, says that the damage can be reversed, stating that: “I should be able to get back what was lost on the forums, as it was also on the old forums. It was updated and edited a little bit but I should be able to edit it back from memory,” and that they are working on “remaking the [Discord] channels.” They are also optimistic that “soon everything will be back to normal.”

At the time of writing, the administration of Caer Sidi has already begun fixing much of the damage. The gameside WFE has been recovered, and they are currently working on restoring deleted forum threads, rebuilding the Discord channels, and fixing the role hierarchy so similar events in the future can be avoided.

Vice Chief of State Kuramia, who also serves as councilor of foreign affairs, gave the following response when asked for comment: "It's absolutely deplorable that someone would sink to this level. Caer Sidi has a rich history and an extensive roleplaying background. I am heartened to see them bouncing back. Their positive attitude goes to show that one troll will not succeed in tearing down a solid community like Caer Sidi."

Chief of State Malashaan has also released an official statement on the situation, saying that "these acts are a clear violation of the Convention on Off-Site Property Security. Consequently, the perpetrator, Itchkerie, shall henceforth be a persona non grata in Europeia," and wishing Caer Sidi "well in recovering from these unjustified attacks and we have offered to provide any assistance we can."

Caer Sidi is also currently participating in the Region of the Week programme with Europeia, organised by Councilor of Coordination Peeps. Peeps made a statement about the situation in the related thread, stating: "The person culpable has been banned from the Region of the Week server and an invite that they issued, which fortunately was not used, was revoked as well. We do not foresee any changes to the event due to this unfortunate incident. We wish Caer Sidi a speedy recovery, a recovery which is ongoing as I write this."

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include a statement from the Chief of State.

Last edited:
Lovely article, reporting was to the point and informative, thank you! I hope Europeia can do whatever they can to help Caer Sidi!

Man, I feel like it's been a while since the last catastrophic example of offsite property destruction. Itchkerie can go fuck himself.
It is really damn unfortunate. I talked to Aynia, and she said this was the first time in CS' 3 year history that someone did destruction like this. They're having a look on revamping security though, and with many records and back-ups in place, hopefully this will stay minor and the region can learn to prevent another instance in the future.

Really just terrible. Kudos on this very timely article, though!

I think the point of reviewing security is a good one, and I would encourage the Senate to ask questions where appropriate to ensure that we have learned any available lessons from this as well. In fact, I would OOC ask the admins to do the same thing - recognizing that this is a possibility, are we sure that our defenses against such rogue behavior are as strong as they should be? I'm not expecting responses back, I'm just encouraging everyone who has any role in that aspect of our security to take a few minutes and ask themselves if all our protections are where they need to be.

With my admin hat on, I'll confirm that we are thinking about it. I'll also say we're fairly confident we're protected against similar types of attack. We are generally pretty conservative with what permissions we give out, which we are aware can be frustrating at times, but it protects against incidents like this.

Solid article, Astrellan. As many have said already, this is extremely unfortunate for Caer Sidi. They have a solid and respected community that surely has the fortitude to bounce back.

It's been a long time since the game has had such an attack, it's a shame that it happened to a great region like CS. What a bastard.

A very nicely written article on some breaking news. The actions Itchkerie took are just vile.

To add my opinions outside of just journalistic reporting, the damaging of Caer Sidi's communication platforms is absolutely repugnant, and their message of "owning the libs" just adds insult to injury. I have privately offered my aid in Discord configuration, something I'm confident in, but I am glad to learn that they have extensive backups of these types of things, and even an "old" forums which still has important posts allowing them to restore it.

The owning the libs stuff just makes so little sense given how non-US us based or even like remotely inspired the structure of their government is lol

Or it's just a half-ass excuse. This is a really unfortunate development; glad their already on the road to recovery though.

Great coverage Siph. This is some pretty disgusting behaviour, but thank goodness it was nowhere near as bad as it could've been and they seem to be piecing everything back together

Back