[Inside Government] [Opinion] Europeia Needs Mandatory Recruitment

Europeia Needs Mandatory Recruitment
An Op-Ed by Maowi

The views of the author do not necessarily reflect those of the EBC as a whole.

Manual recruitment is a thankless task.

You send hundreds, maybe thousands of telegrams every week. Of those, a huge part - often well over half - never reach their target at all, due to site members blocking recruitment telegrams in their settings or to the intended recipients already having received a Europeian recruitment telegram recently. And many of those that do make it to a new nation's inbox stay there, unopened, are deleted, or are read and somehow fail to convince the recipient to move to Europeia with all due haste. But you look through your telegram's recruitment and delivery report, fondly scroll through the list of recruits - and never hear from (most of) them at all.

It can feel frustrating to dedicate your time to a task built upon thoughtless repetition, only for it to feel like it makes no difference to the region. Why should you continue churning out such huge numbers of recruitment telegrams? And your numbers slowly decline.

But you only have to scroll through Europeian citizenship applications to see how essential recruitment is for the region. A huge proportion of residents that come to the forum and seek citizenship find the region through a manual recruitment telegram sent by one such recruiter in their cycle of refreshing, pasting, and sending. And even among those who don't, every World Assembly member who then endorses the delegate magnifies our voice in the World Assembly and improves regional security as a whole. Admittedly, recruitment using stamps or the NationStates application program interface (API) helps the effort hugely, but thanks to its swiftness in a hypercompetitive environment, manual recruitment remains vital for the functioning of the region.

Such an important task cannot lie solely in the hands of a few dedicated individuals. We cannot rely on one or two people to push our weekly recruitment numbers to consistently high levels - because when those one or two people inevitably stop recruiting in such vast quantities either due to burning out from the tiresomeness of the work or due to some external factor, the ministry collapses. There are several ways of addressing this issue. Snowball interviewed Founder and Deputy Chief of State HEM on mandatory recruitment for the Europeian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC); according to HEM, in Europeia's early days, "recruiting was seen as you keeping the region alive, and was a social and later legal requirement for advancement" - so perhaps a long-term method of improving the situation is to gradually and collectively make the effort to move towards a culture in which participation in recruitment is almost a given. In fact, that has of late been appearing to be a not-too-distant reality. But a measure which, at the very least on the face of it, seems attractive is that of mandatory recruitment for government officials.

Europeia currently has seventeen distinct members serving as ministers, councillors of state, senators, first minister, chief of state, or a combination of these. Were each of these mandated by law to send at least 50 recruitment telegrams each week, an additional 850 telegrams would be sent every week on top of the work done by recruiters already in the Ministry of Recruitment. This would, of course, be a huge boost for Europeian recruitment. It would ensure a bare minimum of new blood coming into the region - enough, probably, to compensate for those nations leaving the region or ceasing to exist - and allow, during weeks in which the more prolific recruiters have the time, for much more significant gains in membership. The effect of this would not only be the obvious increase in telegrams sent and therefore in population, but also, in spreading the burden out between several recruiters instead of loading it onto a few, a reduction in pressure on those few and a lowering of the chances of burnout; in other words, there would be short- and long-term gains.

HEM told the EBC that it was precisely this feeling of a certain unevenness of workload that led to the initial introduction of mandatory recruitment over eleven years ago: "it was back in an age before any automated recruitment. So there were no stamps, no legal API scripts, nothing like that. So every nation we got was from manual recruitment.

"There was a sense among some members that they were carrying all the weight without getting any help. So it was decided that if you were going to hold high office in the region, part of our [sic] job also had to be doing a small amount of recruitment."

And the policy was a success. "When passed, the measure was actually fairly popular. Only a few citizens regularly opposed the measure, and being "tough on recruitment" quickly became a frequent policy position." In fact, "it really was embedded into Europeia's sense of nationalism that you should recruit if in office." Europeia has not even come close to losing this strength of regional pride, patriotism, and dogged determination to endure. So why was such an effective policy ever abandoned, even though it fit so well into Europeia's cultural identity? The answer lies not within Europeia, but without it. "The downfall of the policy really stemmed from the introduction of stamps and API scripts. It was proposed that the policy should move from mandatory recruitment, to mandatory service of some kind, a more broad requirement since recruitment wasn't quite as important as previously. Unfortunately, the mandatory service program was much more complicated to execute and so it was shuttered pretty quickly," said HEM. And Europeia has not had mandatory manual recruitment since.

Of course, Europeia is not the same region as it was so long ago and it would be folly to take it for granted that reintroducing mandatory recruitment would be successful. What with recent worries about uncompetitive elections and lack of staff for executive government, the last thing we need is for potential candidates to be put off or discouraged by an intimidating block of text telling them they will have to invest time into recruiting manually. The high offices need to seem, in the current political climate, as accessible as reasonably possible. Moreover, even in those days, there were a couple of inconvenient incidents related to compulsory recruitment: in 2008, both the president and the vice president were simultaneously temporarily removed from office due to failure to recruit for a third week that term, and in 2012, then-Minister of Interior Aexnidaral had to suspend President Common-Sense Politics. These events did of course cause otherwise unnecessary hassle in the governance of the region. But sending 50 telegrams, even for new nations with the highest possible telegram flood limit, should take a maximum of fifteen minutes. Surely fifteen minutes every week is not too much to ask? If you do not have this short time to spare, would you really have time to comfortably and securely take on the role of a minister, or of a senator? And could a high executive leader, in good faith, claim to be able to be sufficiently active for their role and yet repeatedly fail to spend fifteen minutes per week recruiting? Of course, certain weeks just get impossibly hectic at times, but there are ways of crafting policy that would allow for such instances without tolerating consistent neglect of recruitment duties (for example, in the days of mandatory recruitment, officials had three strikes per term). And it is also true that it can be fairly complicated, absent a guiding hand, to work out how exactly to set up and carry out manual recruitment. But this is where cultural change has to come into play. Every active citizen should be registered as a recruiter and should have been briefed on the "how-to"s of recruitment, so that whenever they have a chance, a snippet of time, they can dive straight into recruiting, whether it's 50 telegrams or 300 telegrams.

In order to grow in size as a NationStates region, as a community, and as a government, Europeia needs mandatory recruitment. Perhaps then, our elections will be bursting at the seams with candidates, with debate, and with engagement once more, and recruitment will return to its status as a duty and not a chore.

This is a great article, Maowi. In a time when we seem to be facing a downturn in population and regional activity, I think it's critical that we re-emphasize the critical importance of recruiting. Too often, senior-ranking officials (including myself) forget about the importance of these basic functions, which really are the lifeblood of our region. I would support legislation to this effect.

Also, as for the numbers: I think your estimate that 50 telegrams would take 15 minutes is even too conservative. Back when I was Minister of the Interior, I encouraged people to do "5 minutes a day" to send 50 telegrams. I think 50 telegrams is a very achievable number, and 5 minutes is certainly not too much to ask.

This is a great article, Maowi. In a time when we seem to be facing a downturn in population and regional activity, I think it's critical that we re-emphasize the critical importance of recruiting. Too often, senior-ranking officials (including myself) forget about the importance of these basic functions, which really are the lifeblood of our region. I would support legislation to this effect.

Thank you. I too would be very keen to see legislation reintroducing mandatory recruitment, but am hesitant to try actually writing anything up myself, as I have no experience here legislating ... I wrote this in the hope that it might prompt someone to consider doing so :p

Also, as for the numbers: I think your estimate that 50 telegrams would take 15 minutes is even too conservative. Back when I was Minister of the Interior, I encouraged people to do "5 minutes a day" to send 50 telegrams. I think 50 telegrams is a very achievable number, and 5 minutes is certainly not too much to ask.
Yeah, 15 minutes was rounded comfortably up. 50 telegrams at 15 seconds per telegram works out at 12.5 minutes if you're hitting the minimum time frame each time.

Expect my application to join recruitment soon - because of this article. Thank you Maowi, this is written with a lot of impact, and I'm fully supportive of the opinion personally.

Expect my application to join recruitment soon - because of this article. Thank you Maowi, this is written with a lot of impact, and I'm fully supportive of the opinion personally.
Join quick in time for the quidditch tournament!
Thank you- it sounds awesome, and I don't want to miss the sorting ceremony! I'll get on to joining soon!

The article is well written, but I believe misguided. It is in my opinion folly in a region that until recently has had difficulty getting enough people to have competitive elections, and that still has difficulty filling ministerial roles, to add a requirement to service like this. It may not feel like a lot of time, but I tell you what - if this requirement is in place, I'm probably not accepting any ministerial/councillor positions in the future, and might not run for Senate again, because my workload is such that sometimes that 5 minutes a day requirement isn't going to be practical and it's not going to be worth it for me to run. I can't imagine I'm the only one in that position. If we want to tell people that they can't serve in leadership roles because they aren't willing or aren't able to commit to recruiting, we can do that as a region - I just think it's a huge mistake. As a Senator I'll be opposing any legislation like this that comes forward. I fully support encouraging recruiters through whatever means we can think to do so, but trying to force recruiting is not, in my opinion, the answer.

I echo the concerns of Lloen, as I explained on Discord 5-10 minutes a day/week sounds like a workable idea but when you have no time or no wiggle room it is literally the difference between eating and not eating most days. I love Euro and I love doing things in Euro and for Euro but like Lloen if this is forced on me I will have no choice but to pull back from Euro. Because of this, I have no choice but to oppose the bill in any form.

Actually having a functioning Ministry of Recruitment and competent Minister which encourages and rewards people for consistently recruiting would be better than attempting to force people to recruit. As it stands this proposal is misguided, if well written.

Fwiw Im wearing a lot of hats right now. If you had added 5 minutes a day of recruitment to the positions I hold I would have resigned the Senate or never even run. I just wouldnt have the time for it.

If the weekly quota were something like 50 telegrams every two weeks, which I'm getting the impression is the sort of thing the Senate has been looking at, all you would have to do is an average of under four telegrams every day. For a brand new nation, with the highest possible flood limit, that's one minute a day. (Of course, you can't necessarily open up the recruitment helper and click those few buttons every day, so you would have to do a maybe a few more each day you spent recruiting - although I will note that I do probably 95% of my recruitment from my mobile phone and I find that very helpful.) I'm really sorry to hear that adding even so little time to your respective workloads in euro would be a deal breaker; and while I can't really understand it, I appreciate that I am very lucky to be able to speak from a position where I have plenty of time for recruitment and so probably not in the best place to empathise. I still feel strongly that mandatory recruitment would be really helpful. It looks like a majority of the Senate is opposed, though.

Out of curiosity, from the information I was given when investigating for this article, it seemed like back in the day when it was law, mandatory recruitment was very successful. Is that untrue? Or were there simply more people available to serve in government positions, or something else?

When Mandatory Recruitment was the law it was successful because there was no non-manual recruitment. And still we had multiple suspensions every term. It interfered with peoples ability to do the jobs they were elected or appointed for. We simply had no other alternative. We have that alternative now and reintroducing Mandatory Recruitment despite its many drawbacks and after barely clawing our way out of a situation in which we barely were able to full most positions is a monumentally bad idea.

Recruitment was never a problem while I was MoI. And we didn’t have an entire department dedicated solely to recruitment.

This seems like a knee-jerk reaction to a string of unfortunate occurrences and recent poor leadership within the Ministry of Recruitment, resulting in the recruitment numbers falling. As opposed to an actual attempt to address why the recruitment numbers fell, to try and reinstate a good leadership or to reinstate programs that actually reward people for recruiting and encourage them to recruit in the first place.

Honestly, the recruitment numbers haven't fallen that much under Bri's leadership. The past few weeks had numbers in the 500 and 300 range, which, as Mal stated, is far from awful. To me, this is about being responsible for Europeia's growth as a member of government more than anything related to the current numbers from the Ministry of Recruitment.

"The Ministry of Recruitment is having problems. I know what to do!"
"Fix the problems?"
"No, let's force people whose job has nothing to do with recruitment to recruit!"
"Wont that cause people who like doing their jobs but either dont like to or dont have the time to recruit to either resign their positions, refuse new positions, be suspended from the jobs they are doing, or simply hate that new part of their job?"
"Who cares. We will have marginally higher manual recruitment numbers and maybe an additional nation recruited more per week. That's worth not having a First Minister for multiple days or non competitive elections or no Grand Admiral or... ."

I'm enjoying the current argument in the Senate:

Make Government officials recruit

Ok so add the Director of the EIA and the Justices of the Court...

NO NOT LIKE THAT

Back