[BREAKING NEWS] FRONTIER-STRONGHOLD UPDATE LOOMS, EUROPEIA REACTS

FRONTIER-STRONGHOLD UPDATE LOOMS, EUROPEIA REACTS
Expedited Referendum Expected, Senate mulls additional changed to Frontier-Stronghold Act

Written by PhDre, Edited by Maowi

The long-awaited Frontier-Stronghold Update now has a tentative launch date, as NationStates Development Manager Sedge suggested that “at present we're looking likely to be mid-April for [the update] to go live on NS proper.”

Sedge has previously stated that the update would commence testing in the first quarter, with the “bulk of coding” done by then. At the time, Kuramia commented “Let the debates begin anew,” but little discussion has occurred since Sedge’s previous announcement.

The Europeian political community has been split on whether the region should become a Stronghold or Frontier for over a year, and the compromise Frontier/Stronghold Act codified that a Referendum would determine the region’s decision. The Frontier/Stronghold Act also created a tentative Regional Security Council (RSC) which would be tasked with ensuring the gameside stability of the region, but tied the creation of the RSC to Frontier winning a future Referendum.

In December 2022, the EBC polled Europeians about their preference in a potential referendum - with 18 respondents, 83% favored Frontier.

For terms, Senators have campaigned on pushing forward the creation of the RSC, but amendments to the Act have not seen the Senate Floor. In reaction to the updated Frontier-Stronghold Update timing, Senator Lime has proposed the F/S Referendum Timing Amendment Act, which would immediately create an RSC. Other Senators expressed concern over the proximity to a potential Referendum, while President Lloenflys urged the Senate to consider binding the Supreme Chancellor to run a Referendum at the earliest reasonable date.

In asking for an expedited Referendum, President Lloenflys stated that “one of the things I have wanted to see all along is how things actually work in the testing environment so we really know what we are getting ourselves… In talking to a number of people I am not convinced that the transition will be nearly as orderly or informed as I had hoped.” In his campaign, Lloenflys said that “[the Frontier-Stronghold Update] will be a fairly constant topic of conversation between me, my top foreign-related ministries, and the members of the EAAC throughout the term, and if changes are needed I will urge the Senate to make them.”

In response to President Lloenfly’s request, the Senate is now considering language that would trigger a Referendum on March 17th or March 24th “in case the bill didn't move fast enough to be ready.”

However, Senate debate is still ongoing whether to immediately implement the RSC, or to wait until after the results of a Referendum. Senator Lime stated that delaying the implementation of the RSC to “waste even more time not preparing for the most seismic update to NS gameplay since the introduction of influence.”

The creation of the RSC would allow for a legal body with the power to surpass and enforce endorsement limits, and the power to eject nations which break that endorsement limit. Endorsement limits and institutions like the RSC are used by founderless regions to consolidate enough influence among trusted nations to prevent coup attempts. Influence in Frontier regions is expected to erode after six months, which is currently how influence works in Game-Created Regions.

The People’s Assembly has also reacted to the potential Frontier-Stronghold Update, with members so far calling for an expedited Referendum vote. Kazaman stated that “a referendum should have been held sometime last year, and now that we're working at the last few weeks, it should be as soon as possible.” Sopo concurred, stating that “we need to get the Regional Security Council (or equivalent) online ASAP and actually formally bless going Frontier (or not) so the next administration can plan accordingly.”

With a potential referendum only weeks away, incumbent President Lloenflys stating he will not run for reelection, and a Presidential Election scheduled for March 31st, the rest of the month is slated to be a busy one for Europeian politicos.

Technically I proposed the F/S Referendum Timing Amendment Act while Lime had pre-draft legislation to implement the RSC without the referendum. I'm not criticizing Lime's approach, it's the vision I also had. However, the current legislation on the floor was proposed in response to President Lloenflys's comments.

Great article!
In December 2022, the EBC polled Europeians about their preference in a potential referendum - with 18 respondents, 83% favored Frontier.
Looking back to the start of this debate, this result is a very impressive feat for the pro-Frontier folks. I wonder how “the history books” will explain this, but I think it could be partly due to McEntire and Forward Europeia’s push. It’s just interesting that in a region that deemphasizes political parties, a party can still hold some sway.

Great article!
Looking back to the start of this debate, this result is a very impressive feat for the pro-Frontier folks. I wonder how “the history books” will explain this, but I think it could be partly due to McEntire and Forward Europeia’s push. It’s just interesting that in a region that deemphasizes political parties, a party can still hold some sway.
The history books can easily explain that 18 responses is not representative of our region. We regularly have 50-60 Presidential voters. Every previous poll of the F/S discussion has been very close to 50/50 -- usually 55/45 in favor of Frontier. It's doubtful that the 83% with 18 respondents is not an outlier.

Just like in reform efforts in the past, the most vocal group tends to vote and be heard more than the non-vocal group, regardless of group size. We've had vocal minorities, and vocal majorities at times. A poll with around half of the normal poll response rate is likely not indicative of the region. I think Gorundu's poll may be a better indication, especially if we get a larger response rate.

Have pings been sent about the poll on discord?
https://forums.europeians.com/index.php?threads/frontier-stronghold-referendum-straw-poll.10062636

Great article!
The history books can easily explain that 18 responses is not representative of our region. We regularly have 50-60 Presidential voters. Every previous poll of the F/S discussion has been very close to 50/50 -- usually 55/45 in favor of Frontier. It's doubtful that the 83% with 18 respondents is not an outlier.

Just like in reform efforts in the past, the most vocal group tends to vote and be heard more than the non-vocal group, regardless of group size. We've had vocal minorities, and vocal majorities at times. A poll with around half of the normal poll response rate is likely not indicative of the region. I think Gorundu's poll may be a better indication, especially if we get a larger response rate.

Have pings been sent about the poll on discord?
https://forums.europeians.com/index.php?threads/frontier-stronghold-referendum-straw-poll.10062636
I don’t disagree with any of this, but I think it’s fair to say that the region has warmed to the idea of becoming a frontier.

Back