Q&A with Senate Candidate SpagTop

Q&A with SpagTop
Senate candidate talks about election and more

Interview Conducted by Seva

The Europeian Broadcasting Corporation conducted interviews with all Senate candidates. This one is the only text one, with newcomer SpagTop who decided it is time to take a leap forward and make the voice of fellow newcomers heard. So let's get right into the questions and answers!

Q: So first of all, why did you decide to run for Senate?

A: In the last election, I saw that a lot of the people running were already incumbent senators. I wanted to bring "new life" into the Senatia.

Q: Secondly, you posted your platform unusually early so I'm curious why you did that

A: Honestly, I thought the by-election was still going on, my bad, but I kept it there because I really wanted to get questions earlier and to get public opinion on my objectives earlier, just to prepare.

Q: Third, you mentioned in your platform that the regional message board is the main issue you want to focus on. Since then, a lot of time has passed. Is RMB regulation still an important part of your platform?

A: The grand hall discussion mostly wrapped up most of my concerns, I would mostly promote Peeps' plan for reviving Arnhelm as a gameside board.

Q: You said your main priority would be "to push for the creation of the office of Vice Senator." Could you explain to us once again what that office would accomplish?

A: The office of vice senator would be optional, elected alongside their "Prime Senator", which adds another layer of democracy to Senate Substitutes, which are appointed, not elected. Vice senators could be aspiring politicians, looking for a "less substantial" political office to run for.

Q: You mentioned bringing new life into the Senate as a new member. In general, do you think Europeia offers enough opportunities for newcomers and is welcoming enough? What has been your experience with that?

A: Europeia is trying, with the RMB messages about the election, and the recent interviews Sincluda did with new-ish citizens. I think the politics of Europeia is kind of disconnected with the rest of the citizens. I think that Europeia is open, but it's the citizens that don't feel confident enough to run for office, at least that was my experience.

Q: If you had only one sentence to convince Europeians that they should vote for you what would you say? Here, please don't talk about your policies - imagine everyone has the exact same platform but you have to convince voters anyway

A: My sentence would be, "New players need attention". It's self explanatory, and it is mostly the focus of my platform, with the gameside moderation and vice senators.

Q: Let's talk a bit about your journey in Europeia in general - can you describe how you found us and how you decided to become active on the forums and discord?

A: I found Europeia by recruitment telegram, by Primorye Oblast I believe. The tags emphasized "Anti-fascist, inclusive, etc", and I felt like a region like that would be a breath of fresh air, compared to a few online hellholes I've been in. I joined the forums after Sincluda told about it. I don't remember what he said, but an offsite-forum would be nice, considering it would consist of people who would care enough to join something offsite, and apply for citizenship.

Q: Also, what is your dream position and what are your goals in the region in general?

A: I don't really know what my dream position would be. I won't run for president, as I'm not comfortable with showing my voice online, maybe the cabinet would be good. My goals are simple. To roleplay, to have fun, and to be in a community like this. Europeia is a comfort zone for me.

Q: One final question that is just for fun: why did you pick the nation name SpaghettiTopia and the forum name "SpagTop: Tokyo Drift"?

A: Sounded funny.

We thank SpagTop for his time and wish him good luck in the election!

Note: the answers were edited for clarity, with nothing of substance changed.
Note #2: there is no requirement for the President of Europeia to show their voice online

I think the President should be required to show their voice online so we can run wild with our imagination making inferences about them.

Note #2: there is no requirement for the President of Europeia to show their voice online
I think this was an interesting comment by SpagTop because even though there is no formal requirement, community expectations about VC engagement (via radio, social events) makes it so that imo it is challenging to win an election in which a candidate does not VC at all. It is by no means required but it is certainly an advantage.

I think this was an interesting comment by SpagTop because even though there is no formal requirement, community expectations about VC engagement (via radio, social events) makes it so that imo it is challenging to win an election in which a candidate does not VC at all. It is by no means required but it is certainly an advantage.
Agreed! That's definitely an interesting perception

I mean, I don’t remember the last time one of our executives wasn’t comfortable having being on radio. Dax maybe? It certainly isn’t a formal requirement but it is certainly an informal requirement.

I don't really buy the idea that being on VC is an informal requirement to be President or go anywhere high in our community. We've had lots of leader who had never been on radio before or rarely go on it. The best example is probably Monkey who's had an extremely successful career despite never having spoken a word in VC.

Back