The Elections Problem

hyanygo

Currently, we have the problem that we can't close an election after a certain period of time. I think I've found the solution.

That is : http://www.kwiksurveys.com

It allows to create a poll and put all sorts of fancy safeguards in : IP security, *TIME LIMITS*, a maximum number of responses, an end option (tailor what to show when the poll has been ticked by the user), a lot of display options and all sorts of wonderful things.

What is particularly useful is that it enables you to take the iframe code (whatever that is) wrap it in dohtml tags and have the poll embedded in the forum. And make that the only way for people to select options (i.e. through the embedded link).

I believe this solves our problem.

(The time limit system is a welcome, welcome addition. Although it may have a limitation in that you cannot specfic the exact hour and minute it closes, rather the DAY it closes.)

I've put the poll in my playground forum clicky.

Please, please play around with this and take it srsly pls?

*bounces and is excited* *stares at r3n so he doesn't burst my bubble*

Also, I've made it show a thank you message instead of the results. It's also possibly to export the results as a pdf for posterity's sake and shizz. All in all, a powerful poll option.

And the fact that the poll can only be accessed via the embedded iframe code thingy thing in the forum is an added bonus (gives us the same security as IF polls and probably more since you can make it reject multiple IP votes).

Seems like this would allow citizens with access to multiple IP addresses to vote multiple times. At a minimum, admins would have to do more work to ensure there was no fraud.

It seems to me that our current system works quite well. If I thought the issue of failing to timely close the polls was a major problem, I might feel differently.

I just think watching the results come in is part of the fun of the horse race.

The thing is that there's no way to prevent multiple IPs unless we find something where we manually add the allowed IPs or something like that, or unless we checked each vote to find a corresponding account-IP. With the way right now, each vote is tied to a pre-approved voter account.

And I agree with Skizzy- the timing thing hasn't been a ridiculously big issue- enough so to warrant this.

I think that it was very good of Hy to look into this in the level of depth that he clearly has, but I still think that our present system's advantages aren't really outweighed by the ability to more precisely time elections through this new method.

Love the idea Hy, but we just don't need it at the moment.

Back