The Benefits of Read-Only

Oliver

I don't really want to tell you guys your job, but there are a few things that are verging on basically just being ridiculous.

First of all, did you know that somebody in a non-citizen mask cannot see the Newcomer's Guide forum? The Newcomers guide! If there is one thing that a newcomer should be able to see, well... you get the idea.

What I'm going to suggest is that we open up a lot more. You can't see much of anything as a non-citizen. There's the Visitor account, but it doesn't get used very often, and I imagine people who have bothered to register don't want to use it when they want to look around.

When you get here, when you're registered but before you're a citizen, you can see the introduction forums (good), the High Court but nothing else in that section (bad), the Naval Yard's "join the navy" forum, which would be good if there was anything in there to look at, and the republic square. That's it. I imagine for most it's been so long since you weren't a citizen that you've forgotten what that mask looks like. I know I did, that's why I created the new account, literally to see what I could see.

I've heard the argument that we want to keep what's going on secret so that people want to join us to see, but I don't think it's working, or if it is, it's not working very well. We have lots of people who join up and don't stick around, in part, I think, because there's nothing much to see at first, and then later when you get citizenship because there's so much all at once.

We need to open up so that people can see that yes, there really is stuff going on here when they get here. If it's going to be a couple days to wait for citizenship, why don't we let them start to get themselves acclimatized to Europeia right away, so they can jump as more engaged and learned citizens than they can be when all they can see is the republic square and the courts?

I'll have a more specific and detailed proposal reasonably soon, but consider this kicking off the debate.

Sounds good.

How much can be visible without risking the security of the region?

And can they just read, or also reply?

If a non-cit applies for citizenship, they can see anything with the pending mask.

But I get your point; I'd just like to talk to you on MSN or something in regards to *what* we should open up as read-only.

Back