Posting in the Senate

Skizzy Grey

I just attempted to make a post in the Senate and was not permitted to do so. That makes a lot of sense, because I don't have posting privileges there. Unfortunately, in my case, I had a good reason for breaking the rules.

My counterpart in TNI has asked me to tweak the language of the treaty that is currently before the Senate for ratification. Under the circumstances, I thought it appropriate to post in the relevant senate thread. I also thought it was pressing enough that an immediate post was warranted -- in this case, I opted to apologize later if necessary, rather than take the time to seek permission in advance.

In addition, requiring admin action whenever a guest is invited to speak to the Senate creates work for admins and will delay the proceedings of the Senate.

In sum, I think we ought to have rules to punish unauthorized posts in the Senate. Applying an administrative control to block posts, however, is too blunt a tool, which in some cases will tend to impede the Senate's proceedings -- which is completely the opposite of the intent behind the rules limiting posting privilege in the Senate.

Thanks for reading.

In TNI we have a subforum within the Reichstag where non-Delegates can post and comment on legislation being discussed. It is also where new legislation is first proposed. It is read by Delegates and keeps the Reichstag itself free from 'unauthorized clutter'.

EDIT: For what it's worth, the changes proposed from our side are quite important.

Alternately, the Grand Hall is usually used, or you could PM a Senator.

The Grand Hall serves its purpose well, but it's not a good option for a government minister who needs to communicate with the Senate on official business in timely fashion.

The issue that prompted my post has passed, but I think the general concern I raised upthread remains valid.

There is no reason for giving the Speaker an entire forum for his office, and then also having an extra forum for Senators. If you want, we can rename the Speaker's Office into Senators' Office (or Senate West Wing if you prefer, or whatever), and all Senators including the Speaker can have their offices there, in the form of a thread. The Speaker will still post announcements in the same forum, of course, as he does now.

Back