Notice of Administrative Ban

Crow said:
I'm going to need a drink after reading this...
I decided to drink. Was tipsy for all of five minutes then went straight into hungover. Fun times.

EDIT: Also wanna give Euro's admin team a big thank you for having the backs of victims of this sort of shit. I think about a year back when it came to light what Anumia was up to, your female members could count on you to do the right thing as well, so thank you so much for that.

Steven G. Eastridge said:
I do have a question for the admins though: What if two siblings play NS as two separate individuals, who live together and offer tangible proof that they are two separate people? I don't know if it would be fair to allow only one individual of that household to play, but I do see the point of one using the others identity. I do see the point, but I also don't know if it is necessarily fair.
I think that's a risk we're gonna have to live with and not allow siblings to both be in Euro if they live in the same location.

This is extremely disturbing. Thank you to the Admin Team for your difficult work, and for the obviously significant amount of research that went into this.

Kylia Quilor said:
Steven G. Eastridge said:
I do have a question for the admins though: What if two siblings play NS as two separate individuals, who live together and offer tangible proof that they are two separate people? I don't know if it would be fair to allow only one individual of that household to play, but I do see the point of one using the others identity. I do see the point, but I also don't know if it is necessarily fair.
I think that's a risk we're gonna have to live with and not allow siblings to both be in Euro if they live in the same location.
How close are these IP's though. I go to a college with 20,000 people what if someone I don't know even exists decides to join NS and maybe even Euro. Would I get banned because of that?

Its very hard to have the same IP as someone, even if you are on the same campus, IIRC.

Also, I think it would be the new person who wouldn't be granted citizenship

I've returned to Europeia's forums to say - I am deeply shocked. A scandal involving such systematic conspiracy of such magnitude is highly disconcerting, and troubles me a lot.

I do hope that Brun gets the help that he needs - I would venture to say he has Munchausen by Internet, and I'd hope that in RL, he recovers from whatever malady he has. However, IC, he has no more place in the Europeian community. If only he had seeked help earlier, we might've still had Brun as President.

A lot of thoughts have gone through my head this morning to now and I still feel like I can't even speak about this without tearing up. My feelings of sadness and sorrow are for the entire NS community who were betrayed by this player and the victims that were exploited. More than anything we need to figure out how to support the victims and think about them and their lives and emotional health. And how to prevent this from happening to anyone because sexual harassment is a serious issue and nothing in any way justifies it.

My devastation also comes from the fact that early this year I made an all female discord server that was supposed to be a safe nonpolitical place to hang out and enjoy and to even talk about how to prevent or identify harassment. There was a forum made by Xor like it when I last played NS and it was supposed to be a version of that.

The idea that anyone would go into an apolitical server like mine for the purpose of gathering and sexually exploiting personal things that we ironically don't share with the larger community because of fear of harassment of exploitation or just because of a desire for some level of privacy... is still breaking down my sense of just people and trust and faith. I trusted the player known as "Brunhilde" and they hurt people that I care about.

There are many things on my mind but the top two are:
1) This is not just a game. If it were there wouldn't be endless debates about ICOC and all that. I do not care what level of IC anyone thinks they have, IC does not justify any sort of behavior that would be abusive, exploitative or otherwise harmful in any regard. If it would be a terrible thing to do in real life, then its not IC it's fucking despicable behavior and needs to be shut down and not just on the forums and on Discords but also in and by NS itself.

2) How do we protect people? How many times has someone done something and people have said "It's not a big deal" or "It's uncomfortable or not great but like they aren't a bad person '" or "there's nothing we can do" or "not our job" or "let's engage in blaming the victims" or 1000 other variations of the same old same old bullshit. NSers as a whole need to resolve this issue for the sake of all our communities.

If the admin team who figured this out can help us, help me figure out how to make things safer - I would appreciate it.

There's a more frustrating third one there Escade.

(3) When people know about a player or suspect it, how can we compel them to actually tell authorities and not compartmentalize it? That happens all too often with these situations.

I'll echo all the praise for the admin team. It's reassuring to know we've got great individuals who work hard to protect us behind the scenes.

Kudos to Tim for doing the right thing.

I want to thank the team for their resolve in this investigation. You have done the greater NSverse a great service by uncovering this fraud. My hat is off to you!

I hope that everyone negatively affected in this find peace.

Best wishes!

I know I'm generally not welcome here from an in-character perspective, but I just wanted to say that I've known some of you for years, and it makes me sick that you've had to endure this. I think anyone who interacted with "Brunhilde," myself included, feels at least a little betrayed and angry, but I can only imagine how the people here who interacted with them most and who were the most exploited by them feel.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that you all have the support of the entire NationStates gameplay community right now, even people who are usually your in-character detractors. And I wanted to wish you all the best in getting through this.

Something I just thought of. I once tried talking to Brunhilde in German and he told me to stop because "multiple languages confuse [him]," or something to that effect. I guess he just didn't speak German?

Rand said:
Something I just thought of. I once tried talking to Brunhilde in German and he told me to stop because "multiple languages confuse [him]," or something to that effect. I guess he just didn't speak German?
I asked two German NS gameplayers if they ever talked to Brun in German since Brun claimed to know the language and they said nothing beyond google translate so yeah they don't speak German.

So that's one of the things that resolved my skepticalism

Yuno said:
Rand said:
I asked two German NS gameplayers if they ever talked to Brun in German since Brun claimed to know the language and they said nothing beyond google translate so yeah they don't speak German.

So that's one of the things that resolved my skepticalism
I had a similar experience. He said a few basic words.

Also who is this? Google reverse image search didn't turn up any visually similar images.

Rand said:
Also who is this? Google reverse image search didn't turn up any visually similar images.
He probably cropped the photo. But all of this has likely been examined by the admins and there's no need to rehash it here.

Immense kudos to the admin team for the work they put into this and the way it was all handled. Appalling situations like this aren't easy for anyone, and I can only applaud their response.

I remember him as Bryan, and wouldn't have seen this coming if I'm honest. Although I can't claim to have known him well, if at all...I think I'm the better for it too. Here's hoping this is the last time Europeia has to face anything like this.

Back