History of Lexus

Pope Lexus X: Well my name's Pope Lexus X.. though I'm not the Pope, am no relation to any car dealership nor have there been ten of my predecessors.. actually you never know with that last point..

I've been in NS since november 2002 or 2003, I genuinely can't remember

I founded my first nation then and played about a bit in the North Pacific civil difficulties. I think Nastic was the name of the delegate.. I left, being bored of the game only to return in 2005 to Gatesville, the largest user-created region at the time with over 1000 members. I got heavily involved in its provincial affairs and also in intelligence and eventually became a respected member of the High Council. (GV is and always has been an Oligarchy, so I was pretty honoured by this!). Part of my ascension there was due to my taking sides in a civil war in favour of the founder Gates.

In 2006 I founded my own region, designed on the Ancient Roman themes, called Cingeta (max population was 80 citizens, it was not a success). Not long after a nation came in contact with me who had had bad dealings with Gatesville, HEM. We debated about Gatesville a lot and eventually he joined Cingeta and I joined Europeia.

In Europeia, I became a Senator at first, made a lot of ridiculous legislative suggestions and ended up briefly serving as Culture Minister because I voted for Lethen in the infamous (or so Lethen would like it to be) Presidential election draw in December 2007. I think Danoboy had offered me the Grand Admiralship but Lethen offered me nothing until after I had voted... anywho, I started WinterFest that year, the first Europeian festival of it's kind then I went on hiatus for a while and returned late 2008 to the Senate again. I took up a cause against a crazy Presidential hopeful, Renposa, with the Abstain campaign

Pez took up the Presidency then as the only willing candidate, but he and his Vice President both resigned before the end of term and I, as Senate Speaker at the time, ended up as Acting-President while running a campaign for the Presidency, my first.

Rachel Anumia: Do you think you would have still gotten to that point without that lucky break?

Pope Lexus X: Yes I do, the biggest thing I had going for me was that I stood up to Renposa, without being a Presidential candidate at the time, who was a shoe-in for the Presidency himself but was proven to be kind of...nuts. That act made my election much easier, though NeoHabighorst was a very strong candidate with the backing of the ECP. I also had another trump card I'd hired Europeia's best citizen as my VP; Asianatic. The ECP's power almost spoiled the election, but I could secure most of the independent voters and my own party which was the smaller EUP.

Well I was elected President! My first term wasn't as amazing as one might guess.
I took a lot of work on myself, and had a lot of infighting with my cabinet leading to two resignations and a few reshuffles. The population also dropped from the 200's into the hundreds. Towards the end though I had the population rising and culture really developed; the uni was coming back and WinterFest was even bigger that year.

The second election was again against NeoHabighorst, and I won by a larger share of the vote than I had in the first election which surprised me a lot! The second term had more stability. Population rose dramatically. I worked incredibly hard to recruit with the Interior Minister of the time sending a few thousand TG's a week.

The big controversies of the time, the reveal of Champagne Jam to be Falconias and Lmaoofl to be Karputsk made a massive impact on the region. Many felt betrayed by this and the event would be referred to for the whole of 2009 and most of 2010; it's since dwindled to the back-benches of Euro-history. From the growth and population and activity and how the controversies were dealt with, I was shown to be competent due to the small number of people on the forum in comparison with now, I secured the best ever rating as a President.

My next two terms that summer would be considerably less dramatic; I aimed to continue the heavy involvement I'd done before and we broke new records for recruitment (we reached 700 nations on the day that I resigned). I then returned to the Vice-Presidency during Oliver Grey's term, and upon his resignation was the President again (6 times in total it seems!)

This term was mostly about regaining stability but my lack of RL time meant I could just keep the boat floating and not much more! I think, perhaps, I had set too high standards for myself in Europeia! That is something which does upset me in Europeia. It is fantastic to be a historical great, but it has left a stigma on the Presidency. The terms "high standards" and "golden age" are used far too often

I developed Europeia, but without HEM to advise me, and Aurora to assist me; there would be nothing. I had solid people and a pleasant rhetoric, alongside the right place at the right time principle: That is why I succeeded, but it is not really down to me as an individual. Nowadays people get upset if the President isn't seen daily talking, but I never did that.. I rarely did to tell the truth

These are expectations that have grown out of some legend. The expectations on me when I was President were considerably less. It's funny to see that my biggest difficulty as President was making people talk, nowadays it's getting them to shut up

A nice change perhaps!

Christ that's long.. Remind me next time to just say "Stuff happened" :p

EDIT: This whole thing started after being asked "Tell me a little bit about yourself" :p

Mr. President, many Presidents since your original term cite the "Lexus complex" as their reasoning for failing to meet the standards of most Europeians. In addition, many Europeians have heavily critized their Presidents, even leading to some resignations (most notably, Rougiers). In reality, many of these Presidents have performed well but are looked back on in dismay. Of course, you cannot be faulted for this, but do you believe that your success as President set the bar impossibly high, actually damaging the Presidency and the region? Or would you say that the "Lexus complex" is an invention of Europeian society, and actually has little to do with your terms as President?

Why do you think that you've become the legend that you have within Europeia? As a pretty new Europeian, to me you were (and probably still are) the legendary Lexus.

And nice to meet you :)

Sorry been busy! :ph43r:

Why do you think that you've become the legend that you have within Europeia? As a pretty new Europeian, to me you were (and probably still are) the legendary Lexus.

Nice to meet you too! ^_^ I'm going to tie this question into Sopo's:

do you believe that your success as President set the bar impossibly high, actually damaging the Presidency and the region? Or would you say that the "Lexus complex" is an invention of Europeian society, and actually has little to do with your terms as President?

A lot of that is answered by my last paragraph, but to expand, I think the bar is not impossibly high in terms of what I actually did. I don't think the average Europeian has as much free time as I did while as President (which allowed me to be more hands-on) and the level of worked needed to run the region now is significantly larger. Europeia in 2008 was a much different place so the stamdards are entirely different.

My terms are remembered as being good because for the time, they were. I would be average by today's standards; and the addition of a political bloc who seeks to criticise and deliberately find the flaws mid-term of the President was not remotely present in my day. I think Hyanygo came back for a while, but I remember him as being on my side mostly.. Not until the rise of the EFP/NCP mid-2009 did things turn; Falconias also sought to add an atmosphere that made criticism for the sake of it better than encouragement for the sake of it.

So the answer really is both. I was a good President for the time. I did develop the region and did a high level of work myself, but the region also developed to be more approving of criticism and I became a reference point for quality based on standards that were no longer relevant. I don't think it's entirely well-founded but it does keep people on their toes.. The culture and atmosphere's changed considerably, I'm not entirely sure it that's good or bad, but it certainly is interesting..

I wasn't aware Dan offered you the Grand Admiralship...I think we discussed it at the time, but decided against offering it to you because we had someone in place. Either that or loyalty concerns.

Back