Political Apathy in Europeia?

Political Apathy in Europeia
By Deepest House

(Europeia - February 6, 2015) - As Europeia heads towards the next presidential election on February 12, a dearth of candidates currently grips the region. At time of publication, only one candidate has so far indicated an intention to run. The standing period remains open, however there is currently no indication that other citizens are ready to announce their candidacy.

Europeian President Kraketopia signaled his intention not to seek re-election to Goldenblock early, leaving speculation as to who would fill the void and run for office. It was no great surprise to hear that Europeian newcomer, and current Vice President, Trinnien announced his intention to run for the top office in the region.

“When I think of the Presidency, I think of it as a commitment to my fellow Citizens not to just be a strong and steadfast leader, but to inspire, to strengthen, and to place my faith in our ability to be exceptional,” Vice President Trinnien said. “If I am elected as your President, my task is to help foster growth in every citizen and embolden you all to continue to excel in our collective endeavors.” Trinnien has asked Calvin Coolidge, current Minister of Communications, to return to Goldenblock as Vice President for the fourth time in five terms.

While Trinnien has only been a citizen in the region since mid-2015, he immediately ran for Senate and proved to be a valuable member of the region through hard work and dedication. Clearly very ambitious from the start, he wasted no time impressing upon the region the value he brings as an active and capable citizen through his work in various ministries and elected office. When Kraketopia announced his candidacy for the presidency, seeing Trinnien accompany him on the ticket had a feeling of inevitability.

The only other qualified campaign to announce so far was a minor campaign that signaled its intention to serve as comic relief during this election cycle. Drewsnia announced his campaign on February 2, selecting Kaboom to accompany him on the ticket as the Vice Presidential candidate. On February 4, Drewsnia withdrew his candidacy.

The current political climate in Europeia is particularly disappointing given last cycle’s extraordinary presidential election. Kraketopia defeated Ninja Kittens by a single vote cast in the final minute in an election with the largest voter turnout in Europeian history. While there is always ebb and flow in election cycles, to go from one extreme to another in a single election should be cause for concern for the region and its political health and vibrancy.

The office of the President is the highest in the region and election periods can be the most active and exciting in the region. Policy discussions, political intrigue, and maneuvering all take place during active and vibrant elections. With the current lack of political candidates, Europeia is currently on the cusp of handing leadership over to a citizen who has been in the region a little more than six months.

While Trinnien has proved capable in the posts held to date, the region as a whole suffers when meaningful elections aren’t held, when active policy discussions aren’t part of the process, and when political apathy reigns supreme.

Thanks, hy.

I think it still rings true today: our region suffers when we don’t have legitimate choice in elections.

Not that I really think it matters. I’ve spoken before about “Europeia the Great Conveyor Belt,” where nothing ever really happens or changes, we just chug along the same today as yesterday as tomorrow, other than a game of musical chairs for a few positions every month or so.

Some people might call it stability. Others might call it boring. But it’s the truth – nothing changes here because we are just riding along the conveyor belt to an endless destination. Our region is the same today as it was before the current term, and the same before that, and before that, and it’ll be the same after Aex and Brun finish their term. Perhaps the constitutional convention will bring about some real change – and I applaud Trinnien for bringing up the idea.

Not that I’m making a qualitative judgment about that – there’s nothing inherently wrong with it, and we have a good community here. It’s just an observation on what we’ve chosen for ourselves here in this region.

Back