Pre-Standing Presidential Poll Results

On December 3rd, the EBC opened a poll to determine how people felt about the previous Presidential term, and what they thought of the upcoming election. It closed December 5th, and got twenty-four responses. Here are the results, analyzed for your convenience.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of President Malashaan this term?
Average: 6.7
Mode: 9
Adjusted Average (Without zeroes, ones, or tens): 7.5

Malashaan's term has seen a lot of growth in many areas, but also some rather large difficulties in others. The difference between the regular and adjusted averages seems to reflect that, to a degree. When you remove the extreme scores on both ends, Malashaan actually has a very good score for a President, but with them, it is just a little above average. Either way, this is a good score for an overall good term.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Vice President Mousebumples this term?
Avg: 7.4
Adj Avg: 7.6

As one of our most active Vice Presidents in a while, Mousebumples has also earned an above average score for this position. This is, as stated, likely a result of her high activity, and general helpfulness that she brings to every position she takes. This high approval will be a good springboard into a Presidential campaign, should she choose to run.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Grand Admiral Kraketopia this term?
Avg: 8.0
Adj Avg: 7.9

Coming off a rather unpopular term as President, Kraketopia is now one of the Cabinet's highest rated members. Before this term, the ERN was floundering, but now, after one term, it is one our most active institutions. Kraketopia's score clearly commends his efforts, and shows that this is the ERN the region wants, as a result of his leadership. Recruitment has been on the rise, but, more importantly, new sailors have been given opportunities to learn the skills needed to lead the Navy in the future, helping to alleviate the recurring "leadership vacuum" problem.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Foreign Affairs Minister Anumia this term?
Avg: 6.3
Mode: 8 and 5
Adj Avg: 6.4

This score is an improvement over last term for Minister Anumia, but it is still one of the lowest scores for the Malashaan Cabinet. This poll had many comments on the lack of activity and results coming from this Ministry, and this score is clearly a reflection of those comments. President Malashaan or Anumia himself should consider further publicizing FA's achievements this term. Anumia's own visibility has been lower than in past terms, but he (and his approval rating) has benefited from Malashaan's strong support.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Innovation Minister PhDre this term?
Avg: 6.2
Mode: 7
Adj Avg: 6.2

Minister PhDre's score likely stems in part from the lack of clarity surrounding the actual duties and objectives of the Minister of Innovation, as oppposed to the duties and objectives of PhDre. While the EON and mixlr have been under PhDre's care, his other work (if any) remains unclear. The EON is an accomplishment in itself, though it has not yet been formally established in any other regions. With MinInn likely not returning for a second term, this brief Ministry will likely be forgotten in the history books, even if its achievements live on.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Interior Minister Cpt.Carrot this term?
Avg: 5.8 (Lowest Avg)
Mode: 6
Adj Avg: 6.0 (Lowest Adj Avg)

Cpt.Carrot received the lowest overall approval rating of all Cabinet members. Carrot's visibility as a Minister has been low, and many Europeians largely still consider r3n and Mouse the brains of Interior. Though there is still a steady stream of new members joining the forums, integration has fallen off in recent months, leading to few new active members. Carrot would benefit from a push toward greater integration in his last several days.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Culture Minister Writinglegend this term?
Avg: 8.3 (Highest Avg)
Adj Avg: 7.7

Taking this survey during the highly successful Winter Ball likely skewed the results a little in Writinglegend's favor, but that does not mean his high score is unearned. Many cultural events took place this term, including the LKE-Europeia event, and the Workers' Appreciation Festival, that reflect positively on the Ministry. Also, a new Weekend Game was released during this term, and the aforementioned Winter Ball.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Communications Minister Calvin Coolidge this term?
Avg: 7.7
Adj Avg: 7.3

Calvin's continued efforts this term have not gone unnoticed. Though the EBC has been a bit quieter, the dispatches have remained frequent and the Wire has been updated daily. Communications would benefit from a stronger sense of overall purpose, including its relationship with private media and new foreign affairs ventures like EON. Overall, in large part due to Calvin's consistent performance, this Ministry, once a questionable addition to a crowded Cabinet, has become a staple of Europeian regimes.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Attorney General Skizzy Grey this term?
Avg: 6.9
Mode: 8
Adj Avg: 6.8

As usual, most Europeians don't quite know what to make of the Attorney General, which, when things are running smoothly, is a quiet position. Skizzy has done well advising the President and working with the Senate on new legislation. He should be satisfied with his work this term, even if his approval rating is only average for this Cabinet.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the performance of Chief of Staff r3naissanc3r this term?
Avg: 8.3 (Highest Avg)
Adj Avg: 7.9 (Highest Adj Avg)

The Chief of Staff's approval rating is up a whole point since last term, likely due to greater recognition of r3n's contributions to the region, including managing telegrams, creating cool new forum skins, and advising the administration on policy. While "Chief of Staff" may be a misnomer for what r3n actually does, he does a lot, and the Europeian public seems to appreciate that by awarding him the highest score in the Cabinet.

Would you support bringing back the Ministry of Innovation next term?
Yes: 17%
No: 83%

President Malashaan has stated that the Ministry of Innovation was primarily created to launch the use of mixlr in Europeia, as well as to assist other Ministries with their innovation efforts. As such, it is unsurprising that most Europeians do not support another term of MinInn. Minister PhDre's efforts will likely be folded into other relevant ministries at the end of the term. Some also indicated confusion about the Ministry's accomplishments.

For the previous question, why do you feel that way?
A sampling of the comments

Really depends on the needs and ideas of the next President. I think MinInn was a good way to get Mixlr off the ground, but I don't know that any such thing needs to be started from scratch next term in the same way.

Real results have never made themselves apparent. At the very least, work that the Ministry has done so far could easily be accomplished by the President, VP, CoS, or a Minister Without Porfolio, rather than relying on the buzzword "Innovation" to pretend that this Cabinet is blazing any new trails.

If the next President has a use for the Ministry of Innovation, it should be brought back. However, it should not become a standing Ministry--it was designed to be temporary.

I believe the MinInn or whatever it's being called hasn't quite reached it's potential and we shouldn't cut it's knees before it learns to walk.

I feel like it has done what it has needed to do, and now it can become different parts of each Ministry.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what has it innovated on? What has it done? I haven't seen any tangible results besides the mic'd up news pieces - and can't that be done by communication?

What would you like to see done with the GAP?
Move: 13%
Abolish: 38%
Leave: 46%
Other: 4%

Europeians are still divided about the the future of the GAP. A thin plurality is happy with the GAP as a part of foreign affairs, while a significant minority still wishes to see the program shuttered. Little has been heard about the GAP as of late, so the next President will likely be responsible for determining its fate.

For the previous question, why do you feel that way?

It is too intrinsically tied to other aspects of foreign policy to be wholly independent.

It needs to be its own Ministry to get the attention it requires to thrive. Unless the next Minister of Foreign Affairs can use the GAP effectively, I will be calling to make the GAP its own Ministry in the election after this one.

It works this way. It does not take up too much space but it remains an option and a possible avenue for diplomatic relations with smaller regions.

I don't know that its lack of success merits its own dedicated minister (have we seen any long-term benefits from the efforts Mala put in last term?), but that doesn't mean the program needs to go away. But leaving it inside of FA - perhaps with a Deputy Minister in charge - seems to make the most sense.

Go ahead and kill it. We've already been quietly suffocating it by stashing it away in a subforum. Time to pull the plug on a failed project.

Every term we're fed the same line: "Results are coming soon." How many times can we hear it before we realize how hollow and vapid that promise is? Over a year after the GAP's inception, I think we've passed that threshold by now.

Do you believe the region is on the right track
Yes: 83%
No: 17%

If the election were held today, without knowing any of the candidates, would you reelect President Malashaan?
Yes: 71%
No: 19%

These two questions taken together reflect very positively on the President, and are great for his reelection chances, should he choose to run again. This is a significant improvement over last term, showing that Malashaan has turned this region around in the eyes of many of this poll's respondents.

On a scale of 0-10, how would you rate the overall performance of the entire administration?
Avg: 7.2
Mode: 9 and 8
Adj Avg: 7.2

This score is actually pretty close to the average for all the members of the Executive, so it makes sense. This is a higher than average score, which accurately reflects the efforts by the administration this term, especially when compared to the results from the two graphs above.

Of the following, who would you like to see as a Presidential candidate in this election?
Leaders: Calvin Coolidge (14), Writinglegend (12), Mousebumples (12)

These results seem to be show further support for the Malashaan administration, with all three of the frontrunners being key members of the Malashaan cabinet. In fact, once you move past those in the very front, other cabinet members do well, namely r3n and PhDre. Drecq, not in the Executive, is another popular choice, due to his work in the Senate.

On what issue(s) would you like next term to be focused on, and why?

I think we need a strong re-focus on foreign affairs. We're doing great on the domestic front but things are eerily quiet in the greater NS world. We need to assert ourselves again internationally, really promote Independence again.

Public Notice. We have seen two ministries in particular- Foreign Affairs and Interior- struggle with their publicity, and I feel next term, to increase this, the next administration should focus on being a bit more public in those areas of work.

Foreign Affairs, because nothing else matters without a bold and effective foreign policy.
I think next term has to focus on Foreign Affairs. We've made great progress domestically this term (Culture and Communications continue to lead the charge), and the Navy has been successfully revitalized, so the stage is set. On top of that, with the mixlr technology, we have a lot of potential that I'd like the next President/Minister of Foreign Affairs to utilize.

Everything seems to be moving along finely, nothing has really fallen behind that needs to be focused on.

Foreign affairs. We haven't had an update in months, the international newspaper was a failure, and, until this term, we've been using a heavy handed approach that alienates our friends.

Continued development of radio activities because they are different and fun. Continue to broaden the ways people can get involved.

Improving our leadership development within the region. We have lots of newcomers coming to the forum, but very few of them get involved for whatever reason. I hope the next administration can identify why that is and work to improve the accessibility of whatever obstacles are standing in the newcomer's way.

Please include here any comments on the poll, the past term, or the election.

Good past term, quiet but lots of hard work going on, but needs to clean up in a few areas/polish the edges a bit.

I really hope this election has more than one candidate. This term worked pretty well without a challenger, but it took a while to really get started. Let's start the next term off with a bang, if we can.

Conclusion
As we enter the next election, the Malashaan team has a lot of momentum, and it would be tough to imagine them losing in this race, but only time will tell. We hope that this election is more active than the last, with more than just one ticket running, a hope echoed by some of our respondents. With that in mind, we move on to the election, which will be covered by the EBC, through all its twists and turns.

Written by: Calvin Coolidge, Sopo, Malashaan, Writinglegend, Notolecta

Poll Created By: Calvin Coolidge

Raw Data

Great work as always, Calvin.

For the record, one of the votes to discontinue Innovation was my own. As you allude to in your comments, it was created primarily to get the mixlr project off the ground, which I believe is a huge achievement for the region and will bring us many long term benefits as we improve the range and quality of our radio content. I never had any intention of it being a permanent position. That said, it was highly effective to have a Minister in the cabinet focused on a single important project. I would suggest to future President's that it is a good approach if you have a project you want to make sure happens. It might be a good approach to revitalizing the International Paper when the time comes...

If the election were held today, without knowing any of the candidates, would you reelect President Malashaan?
Yes: 71%
No: 19%

This speaks louder to me than any approval rating that Mala may have received. 71% are willing to reelect w/o knowing who else would run - that speaks to Noto having to scale a huge mountain here. A flipped Mala / Mouse ticket is going to be really hard for him to compete against.

PhDre said:
This speaks louder to me than any approval rating that Mala may have received. 71% are willing to reelect w/o knowing who else would run - that speaks to Noto having to scale a huge mountain here. A flipped Mala / Mouse ticket is going to be really hard for him to compete against.
Same with the last one about who like to be seen standing as President. Without being in the top 10, it would seem that those who took the poll might not have seen him being Presidential material.

Although the pick of Calvin is a good move to, perhaps, balance it out

Back