Seven Deaths for Grand Admiral?

Too touch on what Raging Zen Master said in the Senate thread
When taking part in these joint operations, I believe you could assuage a number of concerns by personally sailing primarily under Euro colours, is that something that you think you could do, SD?

SD previously said "As far as working with UIAF to the point of exclusion, that won't be an issue. I have contacts with several different regions, many of which are allies, if not all of them. I'll be sure to work with more than just them. I'm not reluctant to take a leave of absence, I'm flat out refusing to do so. Minor difference, I know, but I thought I'd point it out."

And Elias had a fair point - my second term as GA saw me way too stretched between trying to do everything Ainur-TNIAF-Euro, et al... I like public scrutiny of candidates for ministerial positions because it rises the level of debate, makes the Senate more active, and provides some needed checks on the Executive.

I'm surprised this vote is as close as this, but I'm glad to see, like Apollo, that the discourse is actually happening.

Elias Greyjoy said:
I'm surprised this vote is as close as this, but I'm glad to see, like Apollo, that the discourse is actually happening.
Where did you expect it to be?

But Apollo, you were one of the best GAs we've ever had during your first stint in the job. You had earned the benefit of the doubt. SD hasn't -- he blew off the presidency to hang out in Albion, he hasn't even been an active member of the ERN lately, and his non-conciliatory tone frankly gives me no confidence that he understands the concerns about his candidacy and is committed to addressing them.

If the Senate votes to confirm SD under these circumstances, we might as well scrap the advice and consent process.

As I mentioned in the ENN thread on the matter, I'm fairly ambivalent about this appointment. However, I'm in a benefit-of-the-doubt type mood, so I'm in support of it. I'd like Kraken to have the Cabinet he wants to have, at least in the outset of his term. Any bugs or glitches in his choices should make themselves apparent pretty quickly, and we can revisit the issue then.

modernsin said:
As I mentioned in the ENN thread on the matter, I'm fairly ambivalent about this appointment. However, I'm in a benefit-of-the-doubt type mood, so I'm in support of it. I'd like Kraken to have the Cabinet he wants to have, at least in the outset of his term. Any bugs or glitches in his choices should make themselves apparent pretty quickly, and we can revisit the issue then.
I would've agreed with you a day ago. SD's responses to the Senate changed my mind.

Skizzy Grey said:
modernsin said:
I would've agreed with you a day ago. SD's responses to the Senate changed my mind.
Yeah, I haven't read through everything there, although I did see the point about his refusal to consider scaling back his UIAF involvement. Clearly the ERN isn't gonna be his top priority, and I guess it's nice that he's being so straight-up about it (or dickish and singleminded, depending on which side of the coin you wanna focus on :p ).

Again though, I want to let Kraken steer his ship with crew intact, at least for a little while. SD will prove out, or he won't. In the platform thread, Lexus mentioned that he and Kraken will take a hard-nosed approach to slackers in the Cabinet, and I'm willing to allow them the leeway to determine for themselves whether or not appointing SD was the right call.

Am I the only one who admired his display of testicular fortitude? He is not the ideal nominee. I wouldn't have nominated him especially seeing as he is not the only available option. However I don't see his appointment as negligent by the president nor do I see it as a stain on Europeia's prestige at home or abroad. Therefore I believe senators should either approve of or abstain on this particular nomination. A president should be able to choose his team and if it doesn't work out we can revisit the issue.

SD has assured me privately that he's determined to prove us wrong and I feel he was sincere about that. I also think he'll get a lot more support from other members this term than perhaps Elias had, which was virtually none.

@Apollo: You were one of our better GAs, period. You might have gotten a little swamped at one point but don't sell short your body of work. You're top five, without question.

It'd probably be good to preface anything I say with the knowledge that I don't actually do much in the UIAF. Most raids we run are led by Chris or Cassius. Contrary to Skizzy's belief I do understand the concerns against my appointment. They're concerned, and rightly so, that my loyalties are split. Well, to be more accurate, you're concerned my loyalties lie elsewhere. Permit me to defend myself for a moment.

When I signed on to do this job, I told Kraken he could count on me. That's something I plan on seeing through. The last time I made a promise when I ascended to the Presidency, I broke it and I don't plan on that happening again. Have I been gone from Euro for a long time? Yes. Have I brought back skills for the position I'm trying to be confirmed for? Yes! I can understand the trepidation against confirming me and I think, were I on the other side, I'd have the same doubts.

My responses in the Senate were straightforward. I don't plan on lying to anyone about my intentions. So if that makes me seem "non-conciliatory" then so be it. There's nothing I can do to change that. All I can do is get confirmed, work to prove you all wrong so Kraken can say, "I told you so" at the end of his term.

I tend to agree with those who think that Kraken should have the Cabinet he wants at the start of his term. I haven't had much personal interaction (or, well, any) with SD about his appointment, but I know from talking to Kraken that he is determined to change the course of the Navy, so to speak, and get the activity up there. I also know from conversations with both Kraken and PLX that they won't stand for slacker Cabinet members.

As much as I admire the work Anumia did as President, on many levels, I think there were more than a few occasions where some Cabinet members got a bit too long of a leash, when it came to inactivity and the like. I think that Kraken and PLX will have a different approach, and - correct me if I'm wrong - but wasn't PLX somewhat (in)famous for replacing Cabinet members mid-term due to inactivity, etc., when he was President? Yes, PLX isn't President - obviously - but I would think that that habit/tendency would still stand given the conversations I've had with both gentlemen.

Plus, I'm hoping that SD takes this extended discussion - both in the Senate fora and in other public areas - as a challenge ... and I hope he get the opportunity to prove all of the doubters wrong. (And, then, of course, I hope he does prove everyone wrong.)

I can see Mouse's side that Kraken does want to implement many changes and whip the ERN into shape, and in his eyes SD may be the man for the job. I also see a problem with this in that Kraken may not have enough the Military experience, connections, and know-how that many past Presidents have had.

Kraken is new-ish, relatively, and while being a newer President is in many ways a good thing, Military command isn't always one of them. I think the only way to have an effective Military and accomplish what he sets out to do is to have a GA who is all-in.

I believe Mousey has given a fair approximation of the situation. I do believe SD is still a great candidate for the position, but if the critics of his appointment are right regarding his activity or loyalties I will have no problem replacing him.

Are you willing to step up to the plate and help out Apollo? From what I've heard, you're quite the military man. We could use you in our missions, and I would love to have another advisor.

Kraketopia said:
Are you willing to step up to the plate and help out Apollo? From what I've heard, you're quite the military man. We could use you in our missions, and I would love to have another advisor.
I will be occupied for the next two weeks during the updates, but following that I would love to participate in the Navy. I have missed it in the past year.

I'm certainly in favor of the benefit-of-the-doubt approach, but I've juggled the same ministerial post in two allied regions at the same time, and it has never gone well. I hope things will work out, but I'm wary.

Back