PhDre Wins Chairmans Elections + Analysis

The Chairman election was closed moments ago and PhDre emerged victorious 6-2-0-4. 6 for PhDre, 2 for Drexlore Greyjoy, 0 for Victoria North and 4 abstentions. Despite trailing 2 to 1 in the early stages, PhDre was able to collect all the next 5 votes for candidates. Hyanygo's vote for PhDre was disallowed because his name wasn't on the membership list. With 23 total members, the turnout for the election was just over half at 52%.

However, one aspect of the election that disappointed me was the fact that Drexlore Greyjoy and Victoria North did not post manifestos in response to PhDres own platform. One can only wonder if the election would have played out differently had they competed down the stretch. There was no question in my mind that PhDre would claim the victory as he had put in the most effort by far into his campaign. It would have been a tragedy if he had lost for this reason.

It was also unfortunate that Victoria North and Drexlore Greyjoy did not post manifestos to try to make the election more competitive for the health of the Chairmans elections. There was a lot of hype around the election and it would have been great if we had seen a more contested election. Personally, I was a bit disappointed and had really thought we'd have a really exciting race. I was impressed that PhDre did not simply say "well, I'm an older and thus better player" but that he went out to really earn the victory.

Good article, and the point about the impact of platforms (or lack thereof) is both important and relevant.

There have been times in the CA - most recently, the fallow pre-Mouse era - when Chair candidates could get away with not posting platforms. As Rach said, this election is somewhat notable because it was treated as kind of a big deal. When a CA election gets as much attention as an average Senate election, it makes sense to hold the Chair candidates to the same standards we hold Senate candidates. And historically, Senate candidates without platforms rarely get elected.

If we want to treat the CA as a stepping stone to the Senate (among other things, of course), then one of the CA's future priorities might be to educate people on the importance of platforms, and campaign strategy in general. After all, you generally can't win an election without a good campaign. :p

It's also up to the candidates themselves to try to set the standard in my opinion. You raise a good point in the Chairpeople educated them on writing manifestos. Should Chairpeople work to teach people election skills?

Rach said:
It's also up to the candidates themselves to try to set the standard in my opinion. You raise a good point in the Chairpeople educated them on writing manifestos. Should Chairpeople work to teach people election skills?
I don't really wanna say what Chairpeople "should" do, but I guess I do expect them to be aware of the function/utility/purpose of the CA, and hopefully that awareness will convince them to use their term to further the goals specific to that purpose. So for example, if it's generally agreed that one of the CA's major functions is to prepare people for the big leagues of the Senate, then yeah, one way of doing that is teaching them how to get elected in the first place.

modernsin said:
Rach said:
I don't really wanna say what Chairpeople "should" do, but I guess I do expect them to be aware of the function/utility/purpose of the CA, and hopefully that awareness will convince them to use their term to further the goals specific to that purpose. So for example, if it's generally agreed that one of the CA's major functions is to prepare people for the big leagues of the Senate, then yeah, one way of doing that is teaching them how to get elected in the first place.
It sounds like a good idea. MS for Chairman? :D

Also, I just realized your avvy is Idris Elba whom I love and I've seen in both the Wire and Prometheus. So wicked :wub:

Zenny Anumia said:
Well Phdre has already stated that he doesnt believe that is the role of the CA, so thats out the window.
Link?

I did find this bit in his platform that seems to be in line with my last post:
PhDre said:
The CA is no longer merely a stepping stone to higher office, but it does serve that purpose for some, and I have the experience to help CA members gain skills that will make them strong Senate candidates.

Rach said:
It sounds like a good idea. MS for Chairman? :D
I wouldn't rule it out, though lately I haven't been nearly as involved in the CA as I'd like to be.

Rach said:
Also, I just realized your avvy is Idris Elba whom I love and I've seen in both the Wire and Prometheus.
Yeah, I think that pic is from his Stringer Bell days. Idris also stars in the BBC series Luther, which is a good pulpy procedural.

modernsin said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Well Phdre has already stated that he doesnt believe that is the role of the CA, so thats out the window.
Link?

PhDre said:
The CA is no longer merely a stepping stone to higher office, but it does serve that purpose for some, and I have the experience to help CA members gain skills that will make them strong Senate candidates.
http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/single/?p=8112104&t=8903391

Zenny Anumia said:
modernsin said:
Zenny Anumia said:
Link?

PhDre said:
http://s6.zetaboards.com/Europeia/single/?p=8112104&t=8903391
He doesn't say that's not a role the CA can play, he just says it's not its only purpose. In both of the posts you and I linked. Which I agree with, as in my earlier post I took care to say that it's only "one of the CA's major functions." He's right to point out that it's become much more than that, especially in the last year or so.

That picture is definitely from his Stringer Bell role.

Zenny, I think you misunderstand me - the comment you link to, I said "But I think the CA can be much more than a stepping stone to the Senate. " Which I repeated in my campaign platform: "The CA is no longer merely a stepping stone to higher office." Of course I think that the CA is a great place to develop legislative skills for newer members, and there is a very strong tradition of serving in the CA prior to the Senate. I'm not knocking that or saying that should be eliminated. I definitely disagree with your interpretation of my comments because I can definitely see the CA being a place where people learn how to be 'candidates' not just legislators.

I can't speak as to why the other candidates didn't post platforms, but obviously I have no control over that.

Edit: MS got there first.

Good analysis. ^_^ The whole 'are platforms necessary or overrated?' argument raises its head every once in a while. I believe this is a good example as to why platforms are worthwhile. Obviously, if all the candidates had made one, it would have definitely elevated the election beyond being a one-sided affair by simply giving them ground to compete and stand out from each other. Furthermore, the Chair is a position that is what you make of it (as has been said repeatedly recently) and making candidates produce a platform would likely demonstrate that the candidate has given some thought into what the role might be. From the efforts of Mouse in the last while, it can be seen that the role does not have to be as mundane or technical as it may have been performed in the past.

Zenny Anumia said:
Should we expect a focus from you on skill building for newcomers? What is going to be the main goal of this session?
You know there is no charge for asking these questions in my platform? :p

I would say that there are programs through the CA already which focus on networking with newcomers (the Companion Alliance) and I'd like to build on those. In terms of skill building for newcomers, there are a number of resources already available within the CA for that but I'm very open to making them more accessible - if you have any ideas with regards to accessibility please either message me or my deputy chair (soon to be announced) or just make a comment in the CA.

The main goal of the session is to continue the momentum and good fortune the CA has experienced under Mouse - that means seeking new ways to make the CA more relevant to Europeia as a whole. All of this is discussed in my platform, but I want to look at making the CA a welcome centerpiece for GAP, I want to see CA members work more intimately with Senators in drafting and discussing legislation, and I want to see an active and fruitful session.

Also a shame that barely over half of the members voted. It would seem there is either a general apathy within the CA, or the membership list needs purging

I didn't comment on the percentage because I don't know what it is historically and I'd have to check how many were inactive.

Looking at how many people respond to roll call (which I'm presuming PhDre will probably run at some point in the near future) compared to how many vote is likely a better indication of "turn out." Although, this was only like a "half-term" since the last roll call, so I'd hope that the list wasn't terribly out of date ... :unsure:

Back