Pre-Poll for Chairperson

*Have been nominated and seconded but have not stated whether they will accept or not.

Which candidate would you like to see become Chairperson?

This is a classic case of old school v. new school. I imagine many of the older Europeians will be casting for Dre or Drex, but the new wave of Europeians is rather unfamiliar with those two, so I think I will predict Zenny winning a race wherein most voters are newbies.

Honestly, at this point, the poll is mostly worthless for me. I like platforms, and I vote based off of the content and ideas in said platform. What a person has done, historically, doesn't necessarily mean much to me, if there's nothing that they specifically want to do going forward.

That's very fair. This is why it's great that the leaders of the CA now post their manifestos and campaign for the role.

Mousebumples said:
Honestly, at this point, the poll is mostly worthless for me. I like platforms, and I vote based off of the content and ideas in said platform. What a person has done, historically, doesn't necessarily mean much to me, if there's nothing that they specifically want to do going forward.
Meh, this sort of thing happens during most elections. Someone usually puts out a preliminary poll before the candidates have released their platforms. These platform-less polls are really more a barometer of "likability" than anything else, but they're still interesting.

I'm curious too because for example; how popular is PhDre going to be for the position given that he recently came back? Do people think zenny has the chops for the role and doesn't have too much on her plate? Is drexlore active enough?

I guess those types of questions require a longer survey, or some political-analysis-type interviews. Lots of interesting variables going into this election.

I think the fact that we care so much about CA elections all of a sudden is a testament to how effective Mouse's CA revival project was.

I have no illusion of winning Most Popular Europeian, and I've only just become active in Europeia after a long hiatus. I'll provide my ideas in a platform and I hope they will stand for themselves and my record stands for itself as well. If I don't succeed hopefully the Chair will take what good there is in all candidate platforms, and continue to move the CA forward. I will be contributing in that institution either as Chair or as a member.

modernsin said:
I guess those types of questions require a longer survey, or some political-analysis-type interviews. Lots of interesting variables going into this election.

I think the fact that we care so much about CA elections all of a sudden is a testament to how effective Mouse's CA revival project was.
Yes. I've never made a long survey before.

Elias Greyjoy said:
This is a classic case of old school v. new school. I imagine many of the older Europeians will be casting for Dre or Drex, but the new wave of Europeians is rather unfamiliar with those two, so I think I will predict Zenny winning a race wherein most voters are newbies.
I don't exactly see why newcomers would favor me, looking at the membership list right now, the youngest member that I've actually spoken to and know is Kraken who has been here 7 months like myself. I have recent experience in the CA, as Deputy Chairwoman under Katepano. I had to basically run the place with the very little power I was granted and most problems arose from me waiting -too- long to give Katepano a chance to properly do his tasks, as he stated when others who supported Mouse claimed that I was an inefficient and ineffective leader.

If the CA is made specifically for newcomers who want to move onto the Senate (as I personally would like to do at some point now that people as new as Yuri are now Senators), then I think a candidate thats been outspoken on issues related to newcomers and their often negative experiences in Europeia -should- be considered for Chairperson. I would support a relative newcomer over a Good Ol' Boy anyday.

Zenny Anumia said:
I have recent experience in the CA, as Deputy Chairwoman under Katepano. I had to basically run the place with the very little power I was granted and most problems arose from me waiting -too- long to give Katepano a chance to properly do his tasks, as he stated when others who supported Mouse claimed that I was an inefficient and ineffective leader.
I can't speak for others, but my concerns about Katepano's leadership as CA Chair (and yours as his deputy) was over the fact that everything was very task oriented, and there wasn't much in the way of discussions or debates or drafting on-going. That's not to say that a future Zenny Chairwomanship would necessarily go in the same direction, but one of the things that I think the CA needs in a leader is someone who has vision for what can be done within the chamber beyond the obvious housekeeping tasks.

I've tried to expand this a bit and set a standard with evaluating current Euro Statues and CA Ordinances on a semi-regular basis, and I hope that will continue with the next CA Chair. However, my concerns over the leadership during Katepano's term had nothing to do with "waiting too long" or anything like that.

It was that there was nothing else happening and no real leadership, so far as I could see, was being offered to move Assemblymen forward and develop them into future legislators/leaders of Europeia.

It's an issue of familiarity. You say you have experience. You were basically a powerless deputy that had to step up. Drexlore has been Chairman multiple times and Dre has been President, so don't bring me Deputy Chairman like it's a strong resume, comparatively. If this were called on experience alone, I would be predicting differently, but it's not.

You happen to also be a newcomer (in the grand scheme of things), which means that a lot of newer folks already have an association with your name. The fact that your opponents are 'Good Ol' Boys' who haven't been overly active as of late also plays into it - name recognition, seeing you post, etc. Despite your relative lack of association with many of the newer members, many who voted in the previous election (Notre Dame, Charles Fraiser, Victoria, spantandbx, Cicero to name the obvious ones) weren't around when Dre and Drex were active, so unless they are blown away by a platform, I'd give you the edge with that demographic.

If the CA is made specifically for newcomers who want to move onto the Senate (as I personally would like to do at some point now that people as new as Yuri are now Senators), then I think a candidate thats been outspoken on issues related to newcomers and their often negative experiences in Europeia -should- be considered for Chairperson. I would support a relative newcomer over a Good Ol' Boy anyday.

It's notable that the Chairperson position has excelled under leaders who don't see the position as a stepping stone to the Senate. I'm less concerned with having someone who has been outspoken on issues relating to newcomers, I see the challenge as taking Mouse's projects and visions and maintaining this momentum to improve the qualtity of discourse in the Senate and CA. I think the CA can bring so much to the table for Europeia and yes, understanding newcomers and welcoming them is very important. I wholeheartedly support that. But I think the CA can be much more than a stepping stone to the Senate.

Also, it's very funny to be considered a Good Ol Boy - calling me that certainly demonstrates there's a level of unfamiliarity with my experiences in Europeia :p

And Zenny has dropped out, endorsing both Victoria and Drex!

I wasn't calling any of the candidates a Good Ol' Boy, it was a hypothetical. I consider you new, as you just very recently came back.

PhDre said:
And Zenny has dropped out, endorsing both Victoria and Drex!
Seems like PhDre and Drex are going to be the front runners here (sorry Victoria). You're both strong candidates based on reputation alone, making this election a surprisingly tough one (relative to most CA elections :p ). I hope to see platforms from all candidates soon.

I'd vote in the poll, but the results are currently symmetrical and cannot overcome my appreciation of symmetrical graphs.

Back