A Taste of Skizz #18

No, it's not a column about the classic Fleetwood Mac album; it's about Hyanygo's rejected nomination to the High Court.

Little defense has been made of Hyanygo's credentials, because those of us who have been here some time felt they spoke for themselves. In short, although Hy professes not to be a "heavyweight," his judicial resume is rivaled only by Anumia's. (I learned this the hard way; back when the Chief Justice was an elected position, I ran for CJ on the heels of a successful prosecution of Rougiers -- and got my ass handed to me.) Even HEM, who has been a sometimes strident critic of Hy's jurisprudence, felt he was a strong nominee and should have been confirmed.

So, why did the Senate reject Hyanygo's nomination? Well, the three Senators who voted nay gave no reason at the time, but after a private citizen (and the President) pressed the issue, two Senators offered a response (one justifying his nay vote, the othet justifying his abstention).

Did these Senators cite concerns about Hy's jurisprudence?

No. They cited a concern raised privately to them by an as-yet-unnamed citizen. One also cited Hy's opinion on a recent matter of public concern, and his friendship with a former citizen of this region. Based on these proffered reasons, one wonders if articles of impeachment are being drafted against me.

Look, I have written at length about a creeping loyalty agenda, and I think the rejection of Hy's nomination is concrete proof of the pernicious effect such an agenda is already having on our politics. But leave that aside -- because if we take their public statements at face value, it's clear that their main concern was the reservations expressed privately to them. Hy was offered no opportunity to respond to this private smear campaign.

Whatever you may think of Hy's fitness for judicial service, he deserved a chance to respond to his critics. The President deserved a reason for the Senate's rejection of his nominee. The region deserved a debate over the rumors that the Senate evidently deemed sufficient to render one of this region's (and the game's) most esteemed jurists unfit for service.

Instead, we got rumor-mongering. For shame.

I still don't know what happened.

The disturbing thing is that I know all the details you deliberately kept vague in those last few paragraphs.

Guess I'm more in "the know" than I realized.

Three Senators rejected the renomination of Hyanygo to the High Court on grounds that certain citizens had raised concerns with them. See here, and in the Senate Offices for more details.

Three Senators rejected the renomination of Hyanygo to the High Court on grounds that certain citizens had raised concerns with them. See here, and in the Senate Offices for more details.
I'm not sure about who, why, or what though.

It's up to the Senators to raise such concerns in the Senate. I don't think the issue isn't so much that someone raised concerns privately (because this happens all time), but that the Senators didn't discuss them before hand. There should be no surprises when it comes to nominations, all pro's and con's are brought forth and based on those is what the Senators vote on.

If a Senator said; a private citizen brought x and x concerns forward and then this was debated in public, I don't think we'd be having this discussion. Likely, this will damage the chances of these Senators to be re-elected. Such is the accountability in our system.

^True. I've been approached countless times in my various positions here in Europeia about items of varying importance, but I would always confer with *someone* (be it HEM, a fellow Senator, Cabinet, the President, etc.) to put together the information we had and figure out the best course of action.

The fact that these Senators did not discuss this beforehand as a group just shows that there are hiccups on occasion.

The fact that these Senators did not discuss this beforehand as a group just shows that there are hiccups on occasion.
Or, on the other hand, that the 'Nay' Senators did discuss this beforehand.

Edit:
Likely, this will damage the chances of these Senators to be re-elected. Such is the accountability in our system.
I wish that would be the case, but with the current quality of prospective Senators, I expect to see most if not all of these so-called 'representatives' back in the Senate, continuing their noble work.

I would certainly recommend that the Senate consider impeaching Skizzy for his lewd and disgusting remarks towards Onder some eons ago, and for his admitted friendship with NS players.

What bothers me most about this whole affair was just the flurry of Senators voting Nay; it took a long time before I had any actual knowledge of the allegations, and I would have far more appreciated them to bring up these concerns during our discussion of the candidate, or otherwise actually lay out their concerns in the relevant thread and ask me to delay the vote so that we could discuss those concerns.

What also upsets me is that Hyanygo never had a chance to speak on these allegations, because nothing became public until after the vote was finished.

In considering all of the issues as we now know them, I would still have voted to confirm Hyanygo even if I had been privy to those 'concerns' at the time. In my view, it is a stretch to consider friendship to two people who screwed over the region as actual disloyalty to the region. Loyalty to Oliver and Earth does not mean that he is disloyal to Europeian interests, and particularly as a fine jurist who has served with distinction on the Bench thus far, it is a significant injustice that these concerns resulted in Senators making a knee-jerk reaction with zero debate and zero chance for the candidate to respond.

Many of the Senators who voted against the nomination are otherwise fine Senators and good additions to the Senate, and some of them I will probably even vote for again, however, I differ very strongly on how many of them handled this matter.

Many of the Senators who voted against the nomination are otherwise fine Senators and good additions to the Senate, and some of them I will probably even vote for again...
That's the only disagreement I have with your entire post.

In considering all of the issues as we now know them, I would still have voted to confirm Hyanygo even if I had been privy to those 'concerns' at the time. In my view, it is a stretch to consider friendship to two people who screwed over the region as actual disloyalty to the region. Loyalty to Oliver and Earth does not mean that he is disloyal to Europeian interests, and particularly as a fine jurist who has served with distinction on the Bench thus far, it is a significant injustice that these concerns resulted in Senators making a knee-jerk reaction with zero debate and zero chance for the candidate to respond.

Many of the Senators who voted against the nomination are otherwise fine Senators and good additions to the Senate, and some of them I will probably even vote for again, however, I differ very strongly on how many of them handled this matter.
I am sorry I didn't raise concerns at the beginning, and I'm not sure why my peers didn't either. I voted Nay because of the way he acted in the last article Skizzy wrote and I quoted him in teh Senatia Forum and can again if people want me to point out specific points where other felt he was insubordante. I thought that he had disgraced the bench by continuing to swear and say he didn't care. Indiviual citizens did not like this either and urged me to vote against his Nomination. Also, I think we need a fresh face on the bench opposed to another "heavyweight" Justice.

I would certainly recommend that the Senate consider impeaching Skizzy for his lewd and disgusting remarks towards Onder some eons ago, and for his admitted friendship with NS players.

Awesome. :)

Edit: I told NES to perform an anatomically impossible act also.

I am sorry I didn't raise concerns at the beginning, and I'm not sure why my peers didn't either. I vote Nay because of the way he acted in the last article Skizzy wrote, I thought that he had disgraced the bench by continuing to swear and say he didn't care. Indiviual citizens did not like this either and urged me to vote against his Nomination. Also, I think we need a fresh face on the bench opposed to anouther "heavyweight" Justice.
Are you aware that these were concerns that, as a Senator, you should feel obligated to share on the goddamn Senate floor? I mean, I apologize for my language, but I don't think it's too damn much to ask for Europeia's Senators to rub two brain cells together, then go ahead and translate whatever terrible idea ('we need less excellent AJ's in the Courts') onto the forum they so choose. By failing to do that, you (and all those who voted 'Nay') failed Europeia. You failed to allow Hy to address your concerns, and deprived the Courts of one of its most excellent AJ's. Apology not accepted, not after days of ignoring my comments only to make a peep once people who you perceive matter raise the issue again and again.

Awesome. :)

Edit: I told NES to perform an anatomically impossible act also.
You see that? He smiled at me! IMPEACH HIM!!

OH GOD THE ACT WAS IMPOSSIBLE?? SENATORS WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? NO QUESTIONS NEEDED, THROW THIS MAN IN CHAINS.

Edit: In all seriousness, apologies for the double post - this is a much more substantive and serious comment I have on the matter.

Wow....

Look, I do think the lack of debate/etc was a very bad thing, but don't you think you're overreacting just a bit, PhDre?

I am sorry I didn't raise concerns at the beginning, and I'm not sure why my peers didn't either. I vote Nay because of the way he acted in the last article Skizzy wrote, I thought that he had disgraced the bench by continuing to swear and say he didn't care. Indiviual citizens did not like this either and urged me to vote against his Nomination. Also, I think we need a fresh face on the bench opposed to anouther "heavyweight" Justice.
Are you aware that these were concerns that, as a Senator, you should feel obligated to share on the goddamn Senate floor? I mean, I apologize for my language, but I don't think it's too damn much to ask for Europeia's Senators to rub two brain cells together, then go ahead and translate whatever terrible idea ('we need less excellent AJ's in the Courts') onto the forum they so choose. By failing to do that, you (and all those who voted 'Nay') failed Europeia. You failed to allow Hy to address your concerns, and deprived the Courts of one of its most excellent AJ's. Apology not accepted, not after days of ignoring my comments only to make a peep once people who you perceive matter raise the issue again and again.
I had been PM'ed twice, One by a citizen raising a concern of what Hy had said in the EBC and I read over that, I don't know why I saw that and didn't raise a concern and again, I don't know why the other half of the Senate didn't either. The other was a PM from Seymour saying that the vote was up, I'm not going to blame this on inexpierence in the Senate or that I had yet to actually vote on a proposed law and voted on nominations I approved. I felt right then after Swak had said we had 24 hours left ( I saw it 25 hours after he posted) in the thread, I didn't know I could stop the vote and address what had happend in the EBC. This was a mistake on my part and other senators, and I'm not going to say I won't make another, because I will, as will any other elected member will. Personally, I haven't heard Seymour's side of things yet and I would love to.

Wow....

Look, I do think the lack of debate/etc was a very bad thing, but don't you think you're overreacting just a bit, PhDre?
I've been in Europeia long enough to see my share of awful nomination attempts - some were the fault of the Senate, others the President. I cannot remember such a widespread complatency and lack of respect for the nomination process, and then a complete stonewalling from the Senate, in my time here. So perhaps I'm overreacting just a bit. Or maybe I'm not talking out of my a-- here. That's not my judgement to make.

Back