EQT #7

Hello, and welcome to the Seventh Edition of the Europeian Question Time! I'm your (hopefully) beloved host, Sopo. It is time for the Rachel Administration midterms, and I have three prevalent guests joining me today. Let's introduce them!

Firstly, we have senior Europeian, former Supreme Chancellor and current Vice Chancellor, abundant office holder, and that guy with the nice haircut, Lethen!

Next we have current Culture Minister, long-time Europeian, and veteran politician Bootskitten!

Finally, we have former Chief Justice, brilliant legal mind, and dominant personality Hyanygo!

Getting straight to the "midterms" theme of this particular edition of Europeian Question Time, I'd like to ask each of the panelists to give the Rachel Administration a rating from 1-10 (10 being highest) and explain why the administration deserves that rating. Please just focus on the Executive, the other branches will be covered later.

As always, please refrain from commenting unless you are myself or a panelist. If you have a question for the panel, please PM it to me and I'll do my best to include it.

Thank you, it is a pleasure to be here. I would give Rachels administration a 8 out of 10 at the present time. Like most past and present presidents, it is very difficult to get a perfect administration. Certain things like my predessor did not help things granted and certain concers regarding recent appoints also did not help.

I would say the biggest things that have hampered the current administration is sometimes the president can be a bit too eager, but we have seen that before. Another big thing is some of the ministers aren't rising up to the expectations that we citizens set them up to. Granted I don't know how things came about between certain ministers, and I don't want to know.

But I do believe things are starting to turn around, with HEM being confirmed for Interio minister, My confirmation, and Vice-President Asperta bringing a speech to help us out.

Thank you for having me, Sopo! Its been far too long since I've had a seat on the Europeian Question Time panel. Now, onto the nitty-gritty.

If I had to rate the administration at the current time, I would give the Executive a 6 out of 10 (or 60%). This is not a personal slight against Rachel, but it is not often that my confidence in an administration is shaken to the point that I question why I voted for them the previous election.

Perhaps unfairly, the perception of any weaknesses of this Administration is not based on actions taken initially by the President. Rather, the perception is being based upon the reactions of this Administration to everything unfolding. While President Rachel did react well to "Chamber-gate," settling on a good compromise instead of fighting tooth-and-nail for an institution that she inherited, her reactions to other political scandals this term (and I use scandals loosely, not in the sensationalistic sense of the word) have left this voter doubtful.

Cabinet started this term composed of the following individuals (June 22):

Grand Admiral - Common-Sense Politics.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Anumia.
Ministry of Interior - Asianatic.
Culture Minister - Panlu.
Minister of Welfare - McEntire.
Minister without a Profile - Indycar Racing.

Cabinet now looks like this (July 18):

Grand Admiral - Common-Sense Politics. Swakistek
Ministry of Foreign Affairs - Anumia.
Ministry of Interior - Asianatic. HEM
Culture Minister - Panlu. Bootskitten
Minister of Welfare - McEntire. Ogastein
Minister without a Profile - Indycar Racing.

So, about a month after this term started, we have 4 new Cabinet Ministers, and one current Minister who is rumored to be near expulsion from the Senate due to inactivity. The Vice President has only recently returned from his own absence, and two of those Cabinet posts were mired on controversy before being solidified.

In real life, when a team fails, the head coach takes the brunt of the blame: they don't motivate enough, they don't gameplan well, or they don't react well in close games to outcoach the competition (or, in this case, keep the People engaged). Our President has had to deal with inactive or insubordinate ministers; however, that is not an excuse for dragging feet and finding what fit is good for the region before what fit is good for herself.

President Rachel would have been given a higher grade had she reshuffled Cabinet much sooner. Your Vice President is seemingly not a good fit for his role; Interior is faltering under a stalwart of Europeian politics. Why not switch them? The former flourished in Interior while the latter has always been a consumate Europeian as Vice President. There may be issues due to insubordination on Asianatic's part, criticizing the Administration in public, but this can be worked around. And there may be some whispers about moving Asperta back to Interior as "unfair," but this isn't about fairness, its fixing what needs to be fixed to help the region long-term.

The replacement for Welfare was a good one, and this was made rather quickly. The replacement for the Navy was also a good one, and this was done quickly. I applaud both these moves, and perhaps things were going well. Until "Interior-gate" cropped up.

Searching for replacements for the Interior Ministry, Rachel settled on Bootskitten. I have known Bootskitten for years, and he's a good man. I was not impressed with his Presidency, but he's a hard-worker who will do a lot when committed. The problem is that a President should lobby for her appointment. Rachel did not do so. At this point, as well, I'd argue that we need Ministers who can inspire, not just do their jobs quietly without motivating others to get involved. Without any offense to Bootskitten, he doesn't inspire as well as other choices out there.

When questioned about his appointment, she took things personally and criticized one Senator in private (and this has been an issue, apparently, as she privately clashed with Asianatic before removing her from her post); she eventually gave up on this appointment and instead slotted Bootskitten in for Culture, where he has been confirmed. Interior was then offered to PhDre, who was shocked to see that he had been nominated without a formal confirmation on his part to the President. This resulted in another snafu, "Nomination-gate," which is still being discussed in the various Europeian media outlets. As of now, HEM has taken over Interior; will he do well? Inspire? Perhaps, yes.

The President has reacted well to most problems that arise here, learning from them, steadying her ship with each crashing wave, but a President deserves that higher rating when they steer clear of the waves in the first place. Things could have been done differently had they been headed off at the pass so to speak; we now have a finalized Cabinet that is hopefully not in flux, but a month into the term?

That's only 60% approval material to me. And while perhaps unjust that Cabinet has shaped my perception of this Adminstration thus far, it is only because the President and her Administration have allowed Cabinet issues to shape her Presidency.

Thanks for having me Sopo.

Like that guy with the nice haircuit, I would give this administration a 6 out of 10. There seems to be a missing “oomph”, that quirk that once pointed out you go “Yes! Yes! The Rachel administration!”. The previous office holder, Earth22, had that in the FireSkype chats. Rachel (and I use her name in lieu of “the Rachel administration” unless context otherwise provides) did have that under Panlu with her weekly (read : for one week only) MSN conversations. With so much talk about developing (to use our beloved host’s words) “organic relationships”, I believe a trick was missed here.

Did Rachel really need to wait for her Culture Minister to come back to push this back onto the agenda? And with boots’ elevation, not a word has been spoken about a weekly get-together.

As Lethen pointed out, Rachel’s personal reaction to the EAC controversy was exactly what I would expect from a good president. Her reaction put her squarely in the friendly category but it may have, possibly unfairly, left Anumia out to dry.

Rightly or wrongly, the People look to the activity of the Cabinet as a proxy for regional health. Indycar’s, CSP’s, and Panlu’s inactivity created a slight sense of regional ill-health and the person that the People turn to, to blame is the President. I have remarked that the American Constitution endowed its People with an unfair “cult of the President”, and I think that has happened here. The emphasis should rather be the Cabinet – like the English system.

I would again have to agree with Lethen that switching Asianatic with Asperta would probably have been wise. I don’t know the entirety of the situation, but disagreements happen. There is a concept of collective responsibility in the English Cabinet – in the Cabinet room one can disagree and argue to their heart’s content but outside they must give the impression they agree totally. Any Minister wishing to express ,publicly, must resign. I would like to introduce the concept of the English Cabinet :

Bagehot's Constitution said:
The most curious point about the Cabinet is that so very little is known about it. The meetings are not only secret in theory, but secret in reality. By the present practice, no official minute in all ordinary cases is kept of them. Even a private note is discouraged and disliked. The House of Commons, even in its most inquisitive and turbulent moments, would scarcely permit a note of a Cabinet meeting to be read. No Minister who respected the fundamental usages of political practice would attempt to read such a note. …is a committee wholly secret… It is said that at the end of the Cabinet which agreed to propose a fixed duty on corn, Lord Melbourne put his back to the door and said, "Now is it to lower the price of corn or isn`t it? It is not much matter which we say, but mind, we must all say THE SAME."

And I hold to that, at least personally. Voicing of opinion must be encouraged privately, but it is when disagreements from within are aired publicly that good government falters. As I said before, I know not the whole situation but to those who do, they now know my philosophy.

The choice of Grand Admiral and Welfare Ministers was good. However, I do have one slight gripe with the Navy right now. Let me warn you, it’s an incredibly small one. I am disappointed with the new titles, specifically, their inclusion of “Lord”. It would be nice to have noble pomp, but sadly, this region is not for it. All other things have pleased me.

Interior has seen quite some press coverage and I think PhDre’s “nomination” was badly done. In her eagerness, Rachel made a mistake. Mistakes happen, we learn collectively and move on.

A changing cabinet necessarily involves a changing administration. The characters in Cabinet make up the administration and consequently, a solid Cabinet makes for a solid, determined administration.

The lack of that certain magic and a Cabinet flux is why I mark it as 6 out of 10.

Thank you all for your speedy, detailed responses. The Senate, as well, has suffered at the hands of inactivity, much like the administration. In fact, it just passed its first piece of legislation in the past few days, one that will need amending if the flaws the City Council pointed out are legitimate. One Senator has already been removed this term, and another is on his way out. The City Council, even, is more functional right now than the Senate. Where do you believe this problem originates and how do we fix it? (you may also provide a 1-10 rating of the Senate as well, if you'd like)

The problem originates in a lack of drive to analyse. The solution is rather simple, restrict debate to parts of the bill and don't move forward until it's appropriate.

Secondly, end the horrid practice of unilaterally pushing in amendments. Amendments need to be put on the agenda and voted upon.

It's been 3 maybe 4 years, and free-for-all debate does not work. The days of simply dumping an Act and expecting thorough debate are now over.

Lastly, the Senate should take a far more proactive role in holding public officials to account.

I would give the senate a 70. I think there are several parts to the problem. I think with all nit picking and trying to get so much legal words in it is making everyone who does not understand it the will to participate. Second, there has only been certain people posting and grabbing control of legislative, which again makes others feel they do not belong there.

Granted the Senate is starting to get better, but it still has a long way to go. I think the drive to bring things to RL wording and legal meanings does not fit into our region, and is discouraging members from participating. With that said Now that we are starting to see things come out is starting to show some fruit on the vine.

The Senate's image is suffering due to both internal and external problems.

Internally, the Senate has had to address a problem that has become all too common these last few terms: inactive Senators. That image issue aside, I agree with my colleague Hyanygo that the Senate has given up on proper analysis of legislation, using the excuse of "Too much legalese" as a crutch. I'm no legal eagle by any means, but in the past when I've been in the Senate confronted by complicated legal jargon and complex legislation, I simply read the documents a tad more thoroughly.

The unilateral amending is, admittedly, something I did not give any thought to until we began to do away with the practice in the City Council in regards to Constitution V this term. While a simple fix, it has made analysis much easier and will prolong bills and amendments so that nothing is glossed over, so that no Senator has regrets about a question they could have raised.

Now, I won't give the Senate a scaled number rating, but I do have this to say in regards to the external issue. The City Council is doing well and reviving itself; the longer it continues to do so, the better we all will be. The Senate will be driven to out-do the City Council while the City Council will continue to attract new members.

I think that the Senate could do a lot more, as well, but perhaps those ideas should be saved for another discussion.

Thank you all, again, for the speedy responses.

Recent polls recently released by ENN tend to occur with your analysis of the Senate and the administration. The numbers are especially negative toward Rachel in regards to her electoral appeal. The poll shows Pope Lexus X beating Rachel in a re-do of the previous election, 14-11. They also have her losing to myself 15-10, and losing to both myself and Aurora in a three-way race where I would receive 11 votes as compared to Aurora's 9 and Rachel's 5.

If you were in Rachel's shoes, how would you respond to these numbers, and how would you approach the term going forward?

If I was in Rachels shoes, I would respond by making sure my Ministers were on top of their game, leave no to very little room for error. In addition, make sure all lines of communication stay open between myself and my administration and the citizens.

I would approach the term going forward making sure I fight for who those that I believe in. I would make sure my ministers stay active and participate and get people involved.

Firstly, I'd talk to those that "beat" me and see how they'd approach the problems of this administration. She should endeavour to find out what makes Aurora and Pope Lexus X different from her. A strong understanding of where others' strength lies is often a strong understanding of your own weaknesses in cases like these.

My response to the rest of the term would be to ensure that Cabinet is functioning well. I know that HEM is also Mayor, so for people who have more than one role, I'd ask them to re-evaluate their position again. Secondly, I'd have a "big event" or big concrete goal to achieve.Something that you can wind up to. As I said before, something with "oomph" and pizzaz. Thirdly, the population should be happy enough from number 2.

Rachel is blessed with an experienced Cabinet and it is time she started using it well as a tool.

First things first, the President must make sure that she finally rights the ship and settles on a Cabinet that will not succumb to activity issues, lack of interest, etc. and can reinvigorate the People. The right steps have been taken in this direction.

Secondly, talk to those that "beat" her and do as my fellow panelist suggested, but take that with a grain of salt. This term has had its ups and downs, but hindsight is 20-20.

In Sopo, you have an active man who ran a good campaign and has stayed fairly active in the public sector; we have not, however, seen what he can do in government this term, and have no way of knowing how he would have handled any of the issues that have arisen this term. The voters who voted him over Rachel are optimists.

In Pope Lexus X, you have a man who is considered by many to be the best Europeian President we've ever elected and served under. While this may have been true then, now, he has not been as active, and has publically stated that he does not think he would be a good fit for today's Europeia. The idea of his white knight image saving the Republic is a nice one, but it is not a realistic one. Perhaps the nostalgia is clouding judgement.

In Asianatic, you have someone with experience who has done everything for the region, served in most posts. Appealing, yes. But at the same time, she was dismissed for a tumbling population (perhaps unfairly); I have to also think that her criticisms of the administration in public did affect the decision to remove her. While a nice idea to the voters, we don't know how she would have handled things this term, and her actions while under another President have left some of us a bit uneasy.

Again looking forward to the future, who would you like to see running for President?
Do you believe Rachel should run for re-election? Do you believe any of the incumbent Senators stand a chance at getting re-elected? Why?

The person I'd like to see run for President would be Abbey. I don't believe Rachel should stand for re-election, from what I could gather RL is tough so she should (obviously) take some time out and then come back to play this game fresh.

Considering there is no incumbent Senators....

Back