A Taste of Skizz #13

Our NS count -- the number of nations in the region of Europeia on NationStates -- is a bulls--t statistic. Of the hundreds of players who have situated a nation in Europeia, only 10% or so play an active role on these forums, where the "real" life of the region exists. Some of the others may endorse our Delegate, but otherwise, they contribute nothing to the life of Europeia.

We are wise not to put too much stock in our NS count. That count, however, may be a sign of broader regional health. In other words, although NS count measures nothing of importance, it seems to be closely correlated to things that are hard to measure, but that all of us care about.

Allow me to explain.

In my time here, activity was probably highest about three months ago. The recruitment ministry (under Asperta) was strong, and the welfare ministry (under Rachel) was perhaps the strongest we've ever had. Their efforts produced an influx of new members, who added life to our cultural forums. There was also renewed interest in foreign affairs, and we rebuilt our ambassador corps and negotiated two new treaties.

We had about 1,150 nations at that time, which I believe was all our all-time high. As I write this, we have 828.

Has activity here waned because we've lost 300+ nations? Of course not. But before you dismiss the statistic as irrelevant, look how we arrived at this juncture.

Beginning last fall, during Anumia's presidency, our NS count grew rapidly. If memory serves, it continued to grow during CSP's term, leveled off during Ollie's term, then spiked to its all-time high before beginning to decline around the beginning of Earth's second term. In the past few weeks, it has been in free fall. I think that matches up with the State of the Republic -- we grew stronger under Anumia and CSP, stagnated under Ollie, got our groove back under Earth, began to decline during Earth's second term, and continued to decline during my term, which decline seems to be accelerating in recent weeks.

That's a hell of a coincidence.

Are there reasons we might expect our NS count to correlate so closely to the health of our region?

Well, although new NS nations add little, if anything, to the life of our region, I think we agree that new citizens are the lifeblood of our regions. We add new citizens two ways -- through foreign relations, and through recruitment and welfare. The connection between the latter and our NS count is self-evident; a declining NS count means we're giving our welfare department a less robust pipeline from which to recruit new citizens.

A lack of influx has a noticeable impact on our culture. Scanning the Republic Square, I see that in the past three days, only three citizens have posted who joined here in the past year. It's no surprise that a lack of new citizens joining the region correlates with a lack of new citizens taking part in the life of the region, but beyond that, it seems a lack of brand new citizens makes it harder for us to keep our relatively new citizens. There is a sizable generation of citizens (including me) who first joined in the first half of 2010; perhaps so many of us stayed because Europeia was growing and thriving during our early months here. We have been stagnant now for the better part of six months -- which has not only meant a lack of new citizens joining during that time, but also the loss of people who we drew here during our most productive times.

Europeia is still strong, compared both to its historic self and the NationStates world. We all agree, I think, that we're not as strong as we once were, and we're not as strong as we could be. Getting our NS count back to 1,150 won't solve our problems. Solving our problems, however, will probably a salutary effect on our NS count.

So, let's set a broad agenda for regional health, but let's not ignore the feedback we'll get from that simple metric.

Very insightful. I have noticed a lack of new citizens coming and staying since my return. Few of the people we have added to the region in the past few months have stayed to become part of the community. There is a severe lack of "rising stars" these days.

Very insightful. I have noticed a lack of new citizens coming and staying since my return. Few of the people we have added to the region in the past few months have stayed to become part of the community. There is a severe lack of "rising stars" these days.
I'm getting some newer members involved in the City Council, but it's a slow start.

Probably doesn't help that any newbies interested in a path upward can probably see the punishment for service that currently exists here.

Like I said in the other thread also, we've seen a focus from all the things we could be doing with our size and activity, like expanding our horizons and so on (interesting things that would usually attract and hold the attention of newbies), to wailing and worrying about population troubles...and despite all the concern, we haven't seen improvement in that area. Which basically means that the one area we've put stock in, is failing, which obviously can't be good for morale.

Probably doesn't help that any newbies interested in a path upward can probably see the punishment for service that currently exists here.

Like I said in the other thread also, we've seen a focus from all the things we could be doing with our size and activity, like expanding our horizons and so on (interesting things that would usually attract and hold the attention of newbies), to wailing and worrying about population troubles...and despite all the concern, we haven't seen improvement in that area. Which basically means that the one area we've put stock in, is failing, which obviously can't be good for morale.

When I was President, I said our focus should be on bringing people here and giving them a reason to stay. That position was criticized as an excessive focus on recruitment and welfare. There is, perhaps, some truth to that criticism. When I took office, I was gravely concerned that the flurry of resignations that forced me into Goldenblock would be followed by a collapse in NS count. Such a collapse would have been dreadful for morale, so I made stopping it one of my top priorities. We succeeded. Thankfully, things are better now than they were then, so while a sharp drop in NS count isn't good, it's not the gut punch it would've been six weeks ago.

Going forward, I stand by my belief that we should focus on bringing people here and giving them a reason to stay. That mandate, however, must be rightly understood. Yes, we must always devote resources to recruitment and welfare, but that's not going to make people stay. To do that, we need to focus on our strengths. Our culture is strong -- we need a concerted effort to make it grow. Our judiciary is the best in NationStates -- Cord's efforts to revive the JTC will be a selling point for people drawn to that aspect of the game. Our Navy is a strong attraction for some players -- we should continuously work to improve it. Our legislative work is also the game's best -- we must build on the good work of the current Senate, while also supporting HEM's efforts to revive the City Council.

Lately, it seems like all the foregoing issues have been pushed to the side in favor of a single-minded focus on foreign policy. A robust foreign policy certainly has its place -- diplomacy is one of the most fascinating parts of this game, and by bringing Europeia's values to the broader NS world, we will eventually bring new, active citizens to these forums. Like any virtuous thing, however, foreign policy can be overdone. There are no private forums to discuss how to improve recruitment or stimulate culture; there are no campaign mega-threads about how to improve welfare; there are only limited discussions in the Grand Hall about pending legislation. In our zeal to build ourselves up in an area that was too long neglected, we have instead neglected our strength at home -- which is the basis for an assertive foreign policy in the first place!

This summer, with the rest of the NS world on vacation, let's focus a bit more on what we can do to be strong at home -- not least, because we can only be strong abroad when we are strong at home.

Mr. Anumia, I can guarantee you right now that the thought you enunciated above has never entered the mind of any newbie ever.

When I was President, I said our focus should be on bringing people here and giving them a reason to stay. That position was criticized as an excessive focus on recruitment and welfare. There is, perhaps, some truth to that criticism. When I took office, I was gravely concerned that the flurry of resignations that forced me into Goldenblock would be followed by a collapse in NS count. Such a collapse would have been dreadful for morale, so I made stopping it one of my top priorities. We succeeded. Thankfully, things are better now than they were then, so while a sharp drop in NS count isn't good, it's not the gut punch it would've been six weeks ago.

Going forward, I stand by my belief that we should focus on bringing people here and giving them a reason to stay. That mandate, however, must be rightly understood. Yes, we must always devote resources to recruitment and welfare, but that's not going to make people stay. To do that, we need to focus on our strengths. Our culture is strong -- we need a concerted effort to make it grow. Our judiciary is the best in NationStates -- Cord's efforts to revive the JTC will be a selling point for people drawn to that aspect of the game. Our Navy is a strong attraction for some players -- we should continuously work to improve it. Our legislative work is also the game's best -- we must build on the good work of the current Senate, while also supporting HEM's efforts to revive the City Council.

Lately, it seems like all the foregoing issues have been pushed to the side in favor of a single-minded focus on foreign policy. A robust foreign policy certainly has its place -- diplomacy is one of the most fascinating parts of this game, and by bringing Europeia's values to the broader NS world, we will eventually bring new, active citizens to these forums. Like any virtuous thing, however, foreign policy can be overdone. There are no private forums to discuss how to improve recruitment or stimulate culture; there are no campaign mega-threads about how to improve welfare; there are only limited discussions in the Grand Hall about pending legislation. In our zeal to build ourselves up in an area that was too long neglected, we have instead neglected our strength at home -- which is the basis for an assertive foreign policy in the first place!

This summer, with the rest of the NS world on vacation, let's focus a bit more on what we can do to be strong at home -- not least, because we can only be strong abroad when we are strong at home.
I actually think the general focus started before you. Yours was more specific to the situation, as you explained.

As for the foreign affairs...certainly people have heard a lot about it from me, but I -am- the Minister :p a lot of attention was stirred up due to the EAC thread but hell, I could've done with a -tenth- of that sort of information.

I don't disagree that we need to re-balance the focus, but speaking personally that's not my current area. It can be done rather easily by the other Ministers taking this opportunity (once the Interior matter gets settled maybe) to increase publicity in their respective offices and draw attention back in those directions. No doubt there are already plans in the works for just that.

(there is a private forum to discuss and improve recruitment, by the way)

Mr. Anumia, I can guarantee you right now that the thought you enunciated above has never entered the mind of any newbie ever.
I'd be interested to hear how you can -guarantee- that :p

Using population as an indicator for health, yes. But one of many. Post count, efficiency and efficacity of raids, conversion rates (citizenship/population, etc) and otherd can help paint a much broader picture and give the Euro gvt indications as to what works well and necessitates improvment and investment.

We talked about institutional research this part winter, and I don't know what came out of it.

Using population as an indicator for health, yes. But one of many. Post count, efficiency and efficacity of raids, conversion rates (citizenship/population, etc) and otherd can help paint a much broader picture and give the Euro gvt indications as to what works well and necessitates improvment and investment.

We talked about institutional research this part winter, and I don't know what came out of it.
People realised work was involved and the plan faceplanted itself. :p

I didn't realise we switched to talking about your economy thread :p

My thoughts on this.

Interesting read, and I agree with most of what has been said.

Back