A Taste of Skizz #12

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water; whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished....

2 Peter 3:3-6

The end is near.

Really.

Today is my son's last day of nursery school.

On the way home from school yesterday, he broke down sobbing in my wife's car. His nursery school has been part of his life for five years (his three years there, and his sister's time before that) -- much longer than he can remember. He knows after today, he'll be going to a different school, with different teachers. And unfortunately, he's precocious enough to understand that grown-ups' promises of frequent, future visits are invariably bulls--t. There are some people at his school who he loves, who have been a regular part of his life since before he can remember, who my son likely will never see again after today. I know it. Worse, he knows it.

In moments like this, parents are supposed to have the magic words that make the pain go away. I have no such magic words. Goodbyes suck. And while I'm quick to reassure my son that he'll have wonderful new teachers at his new school, and that most of his friends will be there with him, I know that's only a partial comfort. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Like people in ancient times, my son is going through a period of profound uncertainty. Like them, his limited perspective affords him only the most rudimentary understanding of these events and their implications. And like them, he's looking to his "father" for answers.

I don't have any. Goodbyes suck.

Sorry, little man.

A hard time...as a kid I was always eager to move on to the next thing -- so not a problem I ever had. But I definitely feel for him. -_-

God bless his cotton socks. For about 2 or 3 weeks he will hate primary school think you call it elementary? After that though he will settle in.

I feel that little guy's pain - I'm there myself, right now. I'm not going to even have the consolation of having anyone there, however it's much tougher when you're little and you've not had much crud to deal with yet.

*sends hugs*

I feel that little guy's pain - I'm there myself, right now. I'm not going to even have the consolation of having anyone there, however it's much tougher when you're little and you've not had much crud to deal with yet.

*sends hugs*
Then again, crud like this now is vital to prepare him for crud like this (though undoubtedly bigger) later. Goodbyes suck, indeed. And this will be his first of many. I think it's a good thing you don't sugarcoat it (whether you want to or not :p) It will make his next goodbyes less difficult to deal with.

I remember on the day before my 10th birthday I had a brief realisation I was growing up which was quite a sombre moment. Though completely irrelevant and not actually really technically true at all, it was just a random number and really had no effect on anything. But hey, I'm an engineer, I understand numbers better than all this namby pamby goodbye stuff.

Nah, only kidding, of course there's always an element of doubt when you move on. Right now I feel like I'm at the end of an era so to speak having finished Uni, finally moving on from education to the "real world", permanently. Well, I've worked before, and I might do a Masters one day, but yeah. It's always good to have a bit of reassurance etc.

I remember on the day before my 10th birthday I had a brief realisation I was growing up which was quite a sombre moment. Though completely irrelevant and not actually really technically true at all, it was just a random number and really had no effect on anything. But hey, I'm an engineer, I understand numbers better than all this namby pamby goodbye stuff.

Nah, only kidding, of course there's always an element of doubt when you move on. Right now I feel like I'm at the end of an era so to speak having finished Uni, finally moving on from education to the "real world", permanently. Well, I've worked before, and I might do a Masters one day, but yeah. It's always good to have a bit of reassurance etc.
NES, what uni did you attend?

Back