The Difference

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
Every sixty days or so it seems that a number of individuals are suprised that we're on the cusp of a general election which will elect our next president. Campaigns are launched in about thirty minutes with a mostly complete platform and the glaring absence of a runningmate.

These individuals expect us to take them seriously, that they possess the skills and judgement necessary to lead one of the largest and most influential regions in NationStates. They expect us to refrain from questioning their haste, from wanting more from people who are supposed to be our leaders. You make up your own mind but from my perspective, those expectations stand as an insult to the intelligence of the voting public and and an attack on all we've built here over the years.

I'd love to give these people the benefit of the doubt. I'd be delighted if less than ten days was an amount of time sufficient to construct and convey the very best available vision for the future of our community. Hell, if the presidency wasn't so damn important, we wouldn't even need to have this conversation. However this is not our reality.

There is one ticket in this current contest that planned ahead, one ticket that had its proverbial ducks in a row weeks ago. There is one candidate for president that possesses the the experience, knowledge, skill, and judgement to execute the duties of that office. One individual wasn't suprised by the announcement of an election, one who developed her vision and assembled her team over a period of weeks not days, one who has put herself forward in a manner befitting a Europeian citizen and that, ladies and gentlemen, is the difference.

As I leave you, I want to ask you a series of questions. Do you want to elect somebody who has little to stand on but anecdotes from other regions and a long track record of pitiful judgement? Do you want to elect somebody just because they want a go at it and while well-intentioned are directionless? Among the current field of candidates, who do you truly trust with our institutions, our reputation, our home? If you're like me, there is only one choice and that is to cast your vote for Earth22. She's prepared, she's experienced, she's ready for this. And believe me, being president is something this humble correspondent knows a bit about.

I think you're in the wrong thread Rachel. I set up a "How many irrelevant and confusing replies can you make in a row" thread in the spam section for you. :)

I think you're in the wrong thread Rachel. I set up a "How many irrelevant and confusing replies can you make in a row" thread in the spam section for you. :)
:lol:

Here's a thought : Has anyone ever thought to put, say, the foreign update or a newspaper article into a .gif signature?

:angry: f**king Fabry-Perot etalons. F**k you to hell.

CSP, God help us, you're right yet again. I completely agree.

When I was planning to run for President with Asperta as my VP (a long time ago), we had hoped to start planning at least a month in advance of elections, in consultation with each other and with our proposed Cabinet. Sadly, that campaign was not to be, but I wish some of the other Presidential candidates took a little bit of time to plan in advance instead of hastily writing a platform then rushing to find someone to stick on their ticket before General Elections.

CSP, you're (one of) my hero(es) ( :p ). And I won't say anything about this coming from Earthie's running mate, because you're so damned right and I wish I could've written this article myself. :p

Oh, and Rachel...try not to embarrass yourself. Stick to clear, informed posting to further your ideas instead of random and irrelevant garble, and you'll be able to make something more out of your hopes and dreams for the region.

Just some thoughts. :)

I think this was mostly what I was trying to say last term during the presidential elections. Went about it the wrong way, though. Everyone should definitely take care with who they vote for and to weigh all options equally with an unbiased mind before casting their votes.

Make no mistake about it, I like CSP. That being said...

Using one's own media to pass along criticism of political opponments as unbiased analysis is... well, disturbing.

Regards, and good luck in your upcoming election,

The author places himself outside the debate, doesn't mention he's on the ticket of the presidential candidate he endorses, doesn't use the pronoun "I" to indicate his opinions, and lists interpretations as facts.

Like I said, I respect CSP and I like what I know about him. So, NES, I'd like you to point out how the text clearly states that it's the opinion of the author and, in the absence of that, where are the nuances that are inherent to an op-ed (being opposite of a political analysis).

Regards,

Well it is CSP's outlet and he has a right to free speech. It's not like he has suggested it is unbiased or if it's an EBC article. Hell if I could write more interesting articles I'd use it to praise my ticket. :p

No, I understand Klat's argument here. Know that it was never my intention to appear as an impartial, removed entity here. I guess I could've taken steps stylistically to better represent my perspective. The reason I don't use words like 'I' or 'we' very much here is because I was hoping to not make this contest about me personally and give Earthie the focus she deserves. I don't use this newspaper as a traditional media outlet, rather as a mouthpiece for my thoughts. I hope that answers your question/concern. If not, I'd be happy do discuss it further.

Indeed it does.

Like I said, I appreciate your work and wasn't trying to deprive you of your right to free speech or free press. It struck me as... unusual, for a person of your stature, to go down that road during an election.

Regards, and good luckm

Like I said, I respect CSP and I like what I know about him. So, NES, I'd like you to point out how the text clearly states that it's the opinion of the author and, in the absence of that, where are the nuances that are inherent to an op-ed (being opposite of a political analysis).

He repeatedly uses "I" or "me" in reference to his opinions, and goes on to qualify that with "And believe me, being president is something this humble correspondent knows a bit about." He's entitled to write his opinions in a newspaper article and thats exactly what he did. All this claptrap about passing it off as unbiased analysis is just bullshit, it's not as if any voters actually don't know that he is running as VP, and if they are so stupid they don't realise that then frankly thats their problem.

Back