Senator JayDee Blind-Sides Rand during Senate Confirmation

Senator JayDee Blind-Sides Rand during Senate Confirmation
By Deepest House

(Europeia – April 11, 2017) - Senator JayDee blind-sided justice-nominee Rand on Discord on April 11, holding an off-the record chat and then presenting the chat log during the senate confirmation as evidence for why the senate should not confirm the nominee.

JayDee and Rand had several exchanges during the confirmation hearing for his position as justice when JayDee continued his interrogation of Rand in a private Discord conversation. Senate confirmation hearings are traditionally held in public for transparency reasons, and for JayDee to continue his line of questioning out the public eye was unusual.

“This is off the record,” Rand said at the time, recognizing that matters and discussion related to the confirmation should take place in the Senate and before the public. Despite this, it appears JayDee posted the conversation shortly after it concluded, much to the surprise of Rand.

JayDee defended the move and the breach of trust committed by posting the record. “I wouldn't have posted it if I thought there was something harmful,” he said, without regard to whether it was appropriate to privately question a nominee outside of the hearing process and then publish the results.

Newly inaugurated, President Calvin Coolidge made sharp comments on the senate floor in defense of his nominee and critical of Senator JayDee. “It seems pretty clear to me that you knew this was going to make it to the confirmation thread, but Rand did not,” he said. “This seems like an ambush to catch Rand off-guard, and I don't appreciate that tactic being used in this way, frankly.”

While perhaps not illegal, having the tactic brought into question by the current president illustrates the moral question. The president clearly thinks that the senator hoodwinked Rand into complacency and lowered defenses in a private conversation, with a clear intent to follow-up by publishing the record in the hearing.

The Constitution requires the Senate to confirm presidential nominees, but makes no mention of where the questioning should take place. One can reasonably infer, however, that the Constitution would have confirmation questioning take place in the Senate.

“I wasn’t aware that conversation was on record,” Rand explained after JayDee presented the Discord chat log. While Rand was surprised by the move, JayDee’s fellow senator, Cerian Quilor, also noted the unusual nature of the public revelation.

“I do think this means we all might want to be a little more careful in our discord chats with [JayDee] from now on,” Senator Cerian Quilor said, while also noting he didn’t necessarily think what JayDee did was wrong.

As the confirmation hearings for cabinet nominees continue, it will be interesting to watch the ongoing feud between Senator JayDee and Rand. While there appears to be no chance for JayDee to vote in favor of Rand, there still may be enough support for the nomination to pass through.

Honestly if DH didn't publish this article I wouldn't have even paid attention or noticed that had happened-- thanks for pointing this out to me. It's kinda a shitty thing to do, tbh.

Is what I did bad? Yes, absolutely and I am sorry for that

I genuinely came in there with the intention of changing my vote to Aye, I wasn't trying to catch Rand in the act. However, what I saw concerned me and I decided it merited sharing with the Senate. I did the wrong thing for what I believe to be the right reason. If people hate me for that, then such is the price we pay.

JayDee said:

I genuinely came in there with the intention of changing my vote to Aye, I wasn't trying to catch Rand in the act. However, what I saw concerned me and I decided it merited sharing with the Senate. I did the wrong thing for what I believe to be the right reason. If people hate me for that, then such is the price we pay.
Stop being a sanctimonious twerp.

Shin said:
JayDee said:

Uh, calm down. It was pointed out, he redacted the conversation.

Kaboom said:
Shin said:
JayDee said:

Uh, calm down. It was pointed out, he redacted the conversation.
I'm pretty calm, I'm just pointing out that he remains defiant about feeling it was right to do.

I just come back to Euro to see this full round of his actions as a Senator on display centered around this issue. I'm gonna call it out for what it is.

That's fine my be, I did what I thought was necessary, if you think that I'm being sanctimonious then you're free to think what you want.

What Rand has said about his "textualist" (his word) philosophy gives me concern, and I would likely vote against his nomination if I were a Senator. But posting private conversations on this forum is a throwback to when Europeia was a meaner place, and I don't like to see it.

I think the idea that we get to say anything we want if it's off the forums and no one can reveal it is bullshit. Unless someone explicitly agreed not to reveal what you say, I don't know why you would expect them not to, just suddenly in the middle of a coversations going "this is off the record" does not bind someone at all. Not sure the logs even change anything or had any merit because there are reasons to deny the nomination for more qualification based matters.

We need to though call each other out and keep people honest and transparent, so the backlash against revealing logs is in my view harmful and only conductive to creating more secrecy and allowing people to get away with inappropriate actions.

I think we all agree that if someone was talking about something illegal irl or in game or something along those lines you would show people this logs. But generally when having a private discussion be it on Discord or the PM system you expect those conversations to remain private. Personally I think the stuff that JayDee was shitting himself about were simply Rand joking around a bit and not really saying what he meant as he believed it was a private conversation.

Notolecta said:
I think the idea that we get to say anything we want if it's off the forums and no one can reveal it is bullshit. Unless someone explicitly agreed not to reveal what you say, I don't know why you would expect them not to, just suddenly in the middle of a coversations going "this is off the record" does not bind someone at all. Not sure the logs even change anything or had any merit because there are reasons to deny the nomination for more qualification based matters.

We need to though call each other out and keep people honest and transparent, so the backlash against revealing logs is in my view harmful and only conductive to creating more secrecy and allowing people to get away with inappropriate actions.
Everything you want to normalize in Europeia is the type of thing that leads to the toxic environment you decried when you last left. I don't really get it.

And this toxicity is choking me.

Had this article not been written I, like Aex, would not have known about it. Shitty move. And I think there's a fine line between logs being released and not released. I will, for example, say "this is very off-the-record" if I want to keep the convo between myself and whoever I'm talking to (or at least pretend it'll stay private :emb: ). At the same time, however, I expect convos to be kept private if its not some sensitive information that is threatening to a player or the region. If Mouse leaked a convo about our misgivings about a candidate, I'd be pissed. If she leaked a convo about me talking about leaking EAAC information deliberately, however, I'd still be pissed. But she'd be justified in doing it.

I think the surprise many here show, including myself, is a good sign for this article. It's very educative, certainly, and that's good.

Unrelated to the results of the conversation (in this case), it does seem a bit like conversations and their confidentiality have to be considered very closely. That's not very shocking or new, but still I feel sorry for Rand for the way he had to discover this.

Not going to comment on content, but dang DH, this reads like something off the New York Times. Well done.

Back